Moose???

NMPROUD

F3490EB3-797B-485D-B836-DB48B5DC9DD0.png

I saw one years ago right around the state line north of Shiprock. Everyone but me is seeing them around Cortez/Durango so it’s easy to see them being around Farmington.

I think it’s cool they have moved in.

Last edited:
I saw one years ago right around the state line north of Shiprock. Everyone but me is seeing them around Cortez/Durango so easy to see them being around Farmington.

I think it’s cool they have moved in.
I heard the population in the Weminuche is steadily growing. Bet the ones in NM came from the WWA.

is it CONSIDERED a non game species??
I remember not long ago when the game and fish Dept. euthanized 2 moose in the Chama area (apparently accidentally)
If it is non game species in New Mexico they are legal to shoot ?
The LAW does not state anything about Moose or Mountain goat or any other non game species wondering onto or into new Mexico state boundaries being protected in any way. (that I found) if anyone has specifics. please elaborate per LAW STATUTE.

Quote from the article:
“Given that we don’t have a huntable moose population in New Mexico, they are protected as a member of the deer family,” said Maes. “We don’t have specific regulations for moose but they are protected under state statutes whether on public or private land. Harassing them or killing them is still unlawful."

I know that is not a link to a statute.

Freaknasty, were those moose in Chama “euthanized” for purposes of relocation and sedative dose was miscalculated?
Saw the same thing happen to one of four BHS ewes being lost several years ago —0 miles west of Pilar.

Quote from the article:
“Given that we don’t have a huntable moose population in New Mexico, they are protected as a member of the deer family,” said Maes. “We don’t have specific regulations for moose but they are protected under state statutes whether on public or private land. Harassing them or killing them is still unlawful."

I know that is not a link to a statute.

Second bullet item from the bottom, page 21...

https://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/download/publications/rib/2021/hunting/09-General-Rules.pdf

*Take any animal that is protected by law but not listed as a game species and/or any animal that is listed as an endangered or threatened species

So that begs the question....

Is there an actual list of "...any animal that is protected by law but not listed as a game species...?"

Yes. The list is "it is the hunter's responsibility to know..."

Which means, you get to do the research yourself. The lists are located within the pages of the hunting regs for each state.

Yes. The list is "it is the hunter's responsibility to know..."

Which means, you get to do the research yourself. The lists are located within the pages of the hunting regs for each state.
In the general regs:

Protected Species: Protected species include all big game, turkey, squirrels and game birds. All protected species are defined in NMSA 1978 Sections: 17-2-3, 17-5-2, 17-2-13, 17-2-14 and 17-2-4.2. All animals listed as endangered or threatened species or subspecies as stated in 19.33.6 NMAC are also protected species

From the statutes:

Chapter 17 - Game and Fish and Outdoor Recreation
Article 2 - Hunting and Fishing Regulations
Section 17-2-3 - Protected wildlife species and game fish defined.​

Universal Citation: NM Stat § 17-2-3 (2018)
17-2-3. Protected wildlife species and game fish defined.
A. The following mammals are game mammals:
(1) all of the family Tayassuidae (javelina);
(2) within the family Bovidae:
(a) all of the genus Bison (American bison) except where raised in captivity for domestic or commercial meat production;
(b) all of the genus Capra (ibex) except for the domestic species of goats;
(c) all of the genus Ovis (bighorn sheep) except for the domestic species of sheep;
(d) all of the genus Ammotragus (aoudad);
(e) all of the genus Tragelaphus (kudu); and
(f) all of the genus Oryx (oryx);
(3) all of the family Antilocapridae (American pronghorn);
(4) all of the family Cervidae (elk and deer);
(5) all of the family Ochotonidae (pikas);
(6) all of the genus Sciurus (squirrels);
(7) all of the genus Tamiasciurus (red squirrels);
(8) all of the genus Marmota (marmots) of the family Sciuridae;
(9) all of the family Ursidae (bear); and
(10) all of the species concolor (cougar) of the genus Felis and family Felidae.

This is where moose is specifically cited under the "DIRECTOR’S SPECIES IMPORTATION LIST"

1634055144341.png

Unless I missed it somewhere, it appears someone who doesn't know a moose is a Cervidae, i.e. classified as a 'deer,' would need to reference the importation list to find out.

In the general regs:

Protected Species: Protected species include all big game, turkey, squirrels and game birds. All protected species are defined in NMSA 1978 Sections: 17-2-3, 17-5-2, 17-2-13, 17-2-14 and 17-2-4.2. All animals listed as endangered or threatened species or subspecies as stated in 19.33.6 NMAC are also protected species

From the statutes:

Chapter 17 - Game and Fish and Outdoor Recreation​

Article 2 - Hunting and Fishing Regulations​

Section 17-2-3 - Protected wildlife species and game fish defined.​

Universal Citation: NM Stat § 17-2-3 (2018)
17-2-3. Protected wildlife species and game fish defined.
A. The following mammals are game mammals:
(1) all of the family Tayassuidae (javelina);
(2) within the family Bovidae:
(a) all of the genus Bison (American bison) except where raised in captivity for domestic or commercial meat production;
(b) all of the genus Capra (ibex) except for the domestic species of goats;
(c) all of the genus Ovis (bighorn sheep) except for the domestic species of sheep;
(d) all of the genus Ammotragus (aoudad);
(e) all of the genus Tragelaphus (kudu); and
(f) all of the genus Oryx (oryx);
(3) all of the family Antilocapridae (American pronghorn);
(4) all of the family Cervidae (elk and deer);
(5) all of the family Ochotonidae (pikas);
(6) all of the genus Sciurus (squirrels);
(7) all of the genus Tamiasciurus (red squirrels);
(8) all of the genus Marmota (marmots) of the family Sciuridae;
(9) all of the family Ursidae (bear); and
(10) all of the species concolor (cougar) of the genus Felis and family Felidae.

This is where moose is specifically cited under the "DIRECTOR’S SPECIES IMPORTATION LIST"

View attachment 54920

Unless I missed it somewhere, it appears someone who doesn't know a moose is a Cervidae, i.e. classified as a 'deer,' would need to reference the importation list to find out.

And anyone can research it to find out A non-hunter is likely to not shoot one. If a hunter does, and doesn't know it's a protected game species elsewhere, they don't deserve to even own a rifle...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom