MOTERIZED VEHICAL RESTRICTION

dilagaf

Q. IS IT LEAGLE IN A MORTERIZED VEHICAL RESTRICTED AREA TO LOAD YOUR 4WHEELER WITH YOU CAMPING GEAR AND GO ON A 2 TRACK ROAD (THE DAY BEFOR THE HUNT OPENS) SET UP CAMP SLEEP THE NIGHT AND WAKE UP THE NEXT MORNING AND START HUNTING ON FOOT?

The rule says.

?In designated areas and hunts, hunters may only use
motorized vehicles on established roadways which are
open to motorized traffic and capable of being traveled
by full-sized automobiles. Any other use by hunters is
prohibited. All off-road use by hunters is prohibited.?

The KEY word is "HUNTERS"

Now lets say you are using a motorcycle. The area you are hunting in has LEGAL trails open to the public for travel, but the area is covered under the ATV rule. Under the exceptions artical C it says

"Hunters may use a motorized vehicle to pack
camping equipment in or out if such travel is
allowed by the landowner or manager; however,
hunters shall not hunt while packing camping
equipment."

It also says
"IDAPA Rule 13.01.08.411 affirms that motorized
vehicles are an aid to hunting and prohibits any use of
motorized vehicles by hunters in designated areas and
hunts, unless the road is open to full-sized vehicles, or
the hunter falls under one of the four exceptions to the
rule.
The use of a motor vehicle or OHV by a hunter is
allowed only if the hunter can answer yes to any of
the questions below.
1. Am I the holder of a valid Disabled Persons
Motor Vehicle Permit on an OHV trail where travel
is allowed by the landowner or manager?
2. Am I retrieving downed game on an OHV
trail where travel is allowed by the landowner or
manager?
3. Am I packing camping equipment in or out on an
OHV trail where travel is allowed by the landowner
or manager?
4. Am I on private land with written permission
from the landowner or manager?"

Now lets look at it another way. Lets say the hunting season runs from October 15 to the 30th. Is the season open 24-7 during that time frame? NO! the season closes every day after dark it open again at daylight. SO if the trail in question is a LEGAL trail and travel on that trail is LEGAL by the Forest service or BLM, a guy CAN use that trail BUT you have to drive in the dark. Since it is dark, the season is CLOSED for the time and the person now is no longer HUNTING. Since this person is no longer hunting the only rules that apply are the rules of the land managers.
Ron

If hunting a unit that has motorized restrictions during hunting season,the answer is yes. If the trail is closed year round or part of the year that includes hunting season, the answer is no.

We packed stuff in this way one year and some guys on horses got way uptight........ figured motorized restrictions meant no motorcycles period........sorry thats not the case. Your legal to pack gear and retrieve game. Just dont hunt from your machines.

i would contact the blm and forest service and ask them directly. make sure to get a written response. my guess is they will not give you a clear cut answer. i emailed fish and game about some trespass info. and the response they gave me was a complete joke. so good luck and if you get any info., post it up. ive been curious about this topic myself.

I hunt in 73 where this has been a topic of discussion for years. In the past (prior to 2008) the "not hunting when its dark" theory worked. This last year, the day before the hunt I was in the area scouting and F&G came and posted signs all over clearly stating that the area was closed to motorized vehicles for hunting purposes both day and night.

One can still pack all your gear in, camp, walk/hunt from your campsite and be just fine. The days of going up in the dark to the top of the mountain are over, at least in 73.

In my opinion, they should make it cut and dry, black or white. Either you can take an ATV in or you can't period. Enough of this "pack your gear in" stuff. In this area, the only reason why people (myself included) pack their camping stuff to the top of the mountain is not to camp, but to have access via atv to an area that others have to hike into. It defeats the purpose of making the area harder to get too, i.e. helping out the deer.

Brady

I DID NOT HUNT FROM MY WHEELER JUST USED IT TO PACK IN MY CAMPING GEAR LIKE THE PROC. SAID THAT I COULD, WHEN I GOT BACK TO MY TRUCK I FOUND A NOT ON MY WINDSHIELD THAT SAID "IT IS PROHIBITED TO HUNT OFF OF A 4WHEELER IN THE STATE OF IDAHO"

I WAS SO TICKED OFF ABOUT THAT. THE FACT THAT THEY HAVE THE BALLS TO PUT THAT ON MY TRUCK AND NOT EVEN KNOW THE LAW OR WHAT I WAS DOING

I have to agree that i wish it was more cut and dry also, that would avoid the 'leaving notes' situation if it was easier to understand.

I asked F&G that exact question about going into an area to hunt daily but didnt need to hunt on the way in. His response to me was that it was not illegal, but for me to do that he thought the best way to avoid any problems was to stash my tag and license up where i was parking my quad every night that way when im on my quad driving in and out im not hunting because we all know you have to have a license and tag to hunt right?

also he said not to stop and not to stop and glass anything. just keep riding and get to the spot where you will be parking.

Now to me, those answers can really give anyone permission to be hunting off a quad. we all know people will just drive around and when they see something just park and say thats where i was going anyway.

i whole hartedly agree with what someone wrote above. make it easy, quads or no quads.

These rules almost seem like they were made to set us up to fail!

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com

THE WAY I LOOK AT IT IS THAT IF IM OR ANYBODY IS WILLING TO PACK THIER STUFF TO THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN AND SLEEP THE NIGHT IN THE SNOW AND COLD JUST TO BE AND HUNT WHERE SOMEONE HAS TO WALK IN IS A PRETTY GOOD SACRAFISE.

BUT I AGREE IT NEEDS TO BE MORE CUT AND DRY

I MUST SY THAT IF I WENT THRUOGH ALL THAT AND THEN SOME QUADS CAME UP THE TRAIL FIRST(DARK) THING IN THE MORNING I WOULD FEEL A LITTLE CHEETED

I don't agree that the IDFG can infringe on my 2nd amendment right just because I happen to be a hunter and riding an atv.

I also think IDFG is trying to come up with all sorts of "rules and restrictions" to manage people instead of manage the game.

Poor game management is leading to more and more rules and restrictions.

Whats next?

I think keep atvs on existing trails, but allow the folks who want to use them their god given right. I know good old boys who love the outdoors, served their country, paid their taxes, and just get a kick out of wheeling around on trails with a gun with the "chance of getting lucky" well IDFG can just take that right and pleasure away?

Seriously, if a deer is dumb enough to stand in a trail so it can get shot from an atv maybe that deers genes should not be passed on anyway.

^BIGBONE^

Believe it or not deerlove, but it is in certain areas as long as its ok with the BLM or whatever the land is.

I retrieved a deer with my quad for a F&G officer 2 years ago by going off road. He thanked me.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-09 AT 10:27PM (MST)[p]Ya Man, ban them ATVs! Then ban Motorbikes, & Jeeps, and after that all Fourwheel drives! I'll go along with anything that gives me a personal advantage!

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn't speak up because I wasn?t a Communist;
And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn't speak up because I wasn?t a trade unionist;
And then they came for the Jews, And I didn't speak up because I wasn?t a Jew;
And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."

Some people are slow learners...

^BIGBONE^

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-09 AT 11:37AM (MST)[p]Oh shut up BONE HEAD. Your part of the problem, not the solution. Panzy azz punk. Learn how to walk or are you too lazy. I think Germany has it right. BAN THEM FROM EVERYWHERE!

Oh, one more thing. When our founding fathers were putting together all the laws... I don't think the second amendment ment you can do what ever when ever with your ATV. Get real. And no, its not your god given right to infringe on the land and laws that were set aside to protect our wildlife and land.

bbb,

when the hell did the 2nd amendment have ANYTHING to do with this topic? news flash retard.....IT DOESNT. while we are at it, just because you may or may not get a stimulous check this year does not give you your 1st amendment right to ride your atv on privately owned public land. do you get it bbb...cause its YOUR dog:)

While your at it...ban the horses and mules. They do as much or more damage as anything else....................

There is one thing I know for sure, if all the ATV guys got horses, then the big problem would be horses. They would have to pass rules and regulations to limit the horses taken onto the forest. They would point out horses can spread noxious weeds with their crap and they do tear up trails or spread disease.

I am not against any "group" of land users, not the cattleman, sheepman, horseman, or those who ride ATV's.

There are people who's goal is to get ALL OF US OFF THE FOREST....

How??? Divide and conquer... Looks like it's working well, already we have "Hunters" trying to take down other "Hunters" here so from what I can see the battle is already half over and it won't take long and you'll find yourself wondering why you can't even leave the highway!!!!

Don't think it will happen?

Watch....

Our grandkids will probably be paying for today's stupidity.

^BIGBONE^

truth to what bigbone says...........If people would just use the damn things responsibly, the problem would be solved.

I dont even own an atv RETARD. I'm against them. Go re read Big bones posts on this thread. ALL OF THEM. Then maybe, just maybe you will get what I was saying.
Before you post and sound like an idiot, read all the posts first.

If every body used them responsibly? Please. Be realistic, they aren't going to get horses either, they are too damn lazy to take care of them.

bbb,

i understand exactly what he was saying....work on your wording cause you dont make any sense what so ever. i understand you were trying to make a point...but there isnt one and it flat doesnt make sense. i stand by what i say....youre a retard. ban them all! give me a break. sounds just like a DEMOCRAT!! do you think there should be a ban on assualt rifles?

What a bunch of thumbsuckers...........Law is what it is. Till it changes, it's legal to haul equipment and game. Illegal to hunt from them. If you drive motorized contraptions off trail or on closed trails, your an A$$..........

Not sure if the retard remark was directed at me..........hope not, but if so GFY........Good For You!

Actually BBB, was who I was adressing.......figured you'd know that since his post came immediately after mine. I guess you really are a retard...............HA!

RE: MOToRIZED VEHICLe RESTRICTION

Off road/trail restrictions are going vary with what agency manages the property. Take Payette National forest for example.
Many of the trails are "closed" when the rifle season opens to any and all motorized use. Doesn't matter what you call yourself, hunter, trail rider, whatever.

On the other hand, they (Payette N.F.) haven't enforced the restrictions in the past, and wouldn't pursue anyone you tried to turn in. Even if they were to catch and fine you, the most I've heard of for a fine of that type issued by a judge in Idaho is $100 bucks (that's anywhere in Idaho). Well worth the risk in my opinion!! I certainly wouldn't waste my time loading up 4-wheelers on jetboats merely to bypass gates along a reservoir with such small fines, and I would pretty much ignore any restrictive signs and gates on public property alltogether.
Gotta be able to compete with the other hunters, and I can only carry a backpack so far (I'm not 25 anymore!).

But, I guess that's why I don't hunt the Payette N.F. area much anymore, or pretty much Idaho for that matter (less a lucky special permit), instead opting for an occasional Montana tag where the penalty can be vehicle and gear impoundment of you and your buddies.

So what you are saying is 'Hey, if you have no ethics and just wanna pay $100.00 for a fine, go ahead and break the law and ruine others hunting and drive wherever you wanna. Even though there are restrictions..' "well worth the risk in your opinion".. really.. well how bout this.. you get off your wheeler walk a ways and hunt.. someone finds your wheeler and knows its there illegally.. they slash your tires and drain your fuel.. a little back woods justice. You ruined there hunt, now they ruined yours. Just like you said.. good luck getting the forest circus to enforce laws.. I've heard of it happening. So what then..
Don't you think they have a reason for the restrictions. I will tell you this much, I catch you doing it out where I hunt.. oh buddy. I will not tolerate that kind of rudness.
Get some ethics and dont spread that crap around here.
Its a big problem in this state and people with your type of thinking are ruining it for others. My uncle is 70 years old and walks every year to hunt elk. No exuses unless your handicap, in that case, stay on the legal trails and obey the laws. Its that simple.

read my mind........... sand in the case works real well also

Violence begets violence. I get a feeling some idiot starts destroying someone else's ATV, we'll all be reading in the paper how the other idiot shot him and how we need to cease all hunting on public ground to stop the violence.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-09 AT 11:30PM (MST)[p]For the record I don't even own a 4-wheeler, so go figure. And if you damage someone else's property, even if it's "behind a gate", or where it shouldn't be, I guarantee it's YOU that the Judge will come down on, not the guy breaking the non-motorized use rules. -Not "worth the risk " imo.

Oh and one other thing; ethics and a 4-wheeler seldom go hand in hand Idaho, So instead of preaching good and making threats in the same sentence on how you are going to take the law into your hands, why don't you write the state legislators and help convince them we need stiffer fines on off-road/closed road violations.

Or hey, if you can't convince them for the management reasons, maybe you can convince them for keeping "ethical" people like yourself from committing property damage felonies.

Pay attention! Threats? Really. I didn't say I would do it, but I have heard of people doing it. I wouldn't. Oh, and ya gotta get caught first. Like the Forest service is going to open an investigation. The public can not get them to do there jobs even when the do it for them, lay it all out, and all they would have to do is issue to citation. They won't do it. Goes against THERE ethics... ACTUALLY WORKING. WAFJ.

And writing the legislator.. been there done that.. nada. Went to fish and game meetings.. nada.
Went down and spoke the the LE of the F.S., nada.
They will do what they want when they want, which is nothing/never.

Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-09 AT 05:25PM (MST)[p]I totally agree with you.. That's why I am saying basically things have to get worse before they can get better. We can't get organized enough to make the punishment high enough to stop motorized use in closed areas. Even if we as hunters in Idaho could get ever organized, there is enough of a dychotomy between motorized and non-motorized users , that we would still be fighting each other on raising the fines/penalties.

So I say, for now, If you can't beat them, join them, until there is so much of a problem that all users will take notice, and legislation will finially be passed, and fines will be upped 10 fold, where they should be now.

I tell you I am so fed up with rule breaking offroaders, non-rule enforcing agencies, and leanient redneck penalties in this state, that I rarely hunt it anymore.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom