Mount Zirkel

R

Rem308

LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-08 AT 11:40AM (MST)[p]Anyone ever elk hunted the Mount Zirkel Wilderness area? I have hunted Colorado several times but have never been in this area.Planning a muzzleloader hunt there and looking for some info ,primarily the north side.The area arround Buffalo Park/Hog Park area.Terrain/access and deer/elk population ?

Rem, there are some great bulls taken out of the Zirkel's every year. The bummer is that the Buff Park and Hog Park area is like many areas in CO, a zoo. In recent years Hog park has also become VERY popular with grouse hunters during the archery/muzzleloader season which has been a major bummer because there are a TON of animals in the area during this time of year. There are good numbers of elk and deer all over the Zirkel's but getting away from access is key. Too much access in the Hog Park area for me. You can and should get into some steep and deep backcountry if you are willing to stay away from the roaded areas. Work and you will find elk if you can find some of these fringe areas. Grab a map of the Hog Park/Buff Park area and look at all the roads in the area... One of my favorite quotes came from a "bow hunter" I ran into 3 years ago driving through Hog Park on his 4 wheeler. "You boys seen any elk? I've been driving around all week and I haven't seen a damned thing..." There is plenty of access to the more remote areas of the Zirkel's from the West and East sides so grab a map, look over the terrain and look for country you like the looks of. I grew up in the area and return to hunt with my family out of our backcountry archery camp in the Zirkel's every year. A lot of country, heavily hunted, but some big bulls to be found in the nastiest of country. Good place to burn a muzzleloader tag.

I have ben looking into GMU 161 and 14 ,think I will do more research on the west side of 14 ,Thanks for the info.

It was my first elkhunt in CO. Getting in to the Wilderness area is the toughest hike I have been on. You might consider a drop camp or put up with the crowd. The elk herd is not too big either. With alot of work, one could find a 300 class bull, but 161,14 is just another colorado non-trophy area.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom