Mountain House Delicacy's

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Must be pretty slow around here. I have some Mountain House that "expired" in April of 2016. I have been eating a bit of it here and there. The Teriyaki Chicken Rice is better than some meals I pay $20 at the local restaurants. I ate some Blueberry Granola today as carbs before my workout today. I normally hate blueberries but Mountain House blueberries must be very special because these ones were good. :) What's your favorite Mountain House meal?

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

i try not to eat them unless im on a hunt in the back country. if i do i usually eat the sweet and sour pork. everything else isnt very good unless i add a bunch of seasoning.

"Shoot Straight"

Try eating them for 5 days.I almost ran with a 40 lb pack the 10 miles to get out of the Wind River Range so I could eat a great meal in Pinedale at the Wind River Brewery.
The meat in those meals is the worst thing. Italian Leper Steak, Macaroni and Barf, Sweet and Sour Chucking..lol

Depending how hungry I am determines how good freeze dried meals taste.

I've eaten a lot of different Mountain House meals, none of them are great but they are the better than any of the other brands I've tried, and only about a $1 per pack more expensive. Having said that, most of it is pretty marginal, including the Mountain House meals.

Considering that a normal person needs between 1,800 to 2,200 calories a day to "hang in there". Here are calories from some of Mountain House single paks.

Beef Stew 180 calories
Beef Stroganoff 260 calories
Lasagna with Meat Sauce 240 calories
Sweet & Sour Pork with Rice 290 calories
Scrambled Eggs with Bacon 310 calories
Breakfast Skillet 400 calories

Where as 2.85 ounces of Jack Link's Teriyaki Jerky gives you 240 calories.

I always make sure and take at least twice as many paks of jerky with me to supplement my freeze dried meals. I'd flat-out starve to death if I had to live on freeze dried meals, regardless of how good or bad they taste.

Many years ago a bunch of different kinds of outdoors groups got together to "test" their preferred equipment against the elements. The hikers, the back country back-packers, etc. One of the groups invited to participate was a modern day mountain man group. Each group took what ever they normally took with them on outings that lasted over 5 days. It was during the winter season. All I remember about the "test" was the mountain men guys all took jerky (like their 1800's mentors) for food and the others took various kinds of freeze dried food. The mountain men guys did well, so far as the hunger/energy factor was concerned, the others not so much. I found that interesting until I started to look at the calorie counts on these freeze dried food products, then it made sense.

DC

I didn't know the Mtn House packs ever expired? In the same way that brick chips, dried Mouse turds, and burlap sacks never really loose their freshness, or appeal. Which brings me back to your question on favorite Mtn House recipes. Debating whether to pull 2 or 3 out of the crawl space and dust 'em off for a suppertime test.

Went on an archery elk hunt with a buddy this fall, told me not to worry had all the food handled.......was with him two weeks on the mountain, freeze dried meals everyday every meal, expired in 2008.......diarrhea wasn't to bad, I needed to lose a few lbs anyways.

If I'm being 100% honest..I've never eaten a bad Mountain House meal. Everyone I've eaten has been very good. I ate about 4 different ones while in Colorado this past season. They do expire...it seems weird that they would but maybe that is a trick so that the consumer always has to buy more every 10 years?? LOL.

2lumpy- Whats the calorie count on them Twinkies and milk?

On my hunts, I always...ALWAYS have trail mix on me. Lots of protein and it always seems to bring quick energy. I'm not much of a jerky man. After the 4th piece, my jaw starts to get tired.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Chicken Breast and mashed Potatoes is my favorite. But after 2 trips to AK and eating Mtn house for every meal for a couple weeks, I avoid them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom