Mountain Loins

joesikora

Long Time Member
I was just looking at a loin hunt and was wondering do you eat them?
Out of all my time on here I never heard anyone say anything about it

I had been told they were great for years. I finally tried eating one. I felt like I had been the butt of a very bad joke.

Some of the worst flavor meat I have eaten. I doubt I will attempt again.

somebody here once said bbq lion is good. hell i've had braised and pulled possum that tasted like pulled pork. white greasy meat.

I read an article a long time ago that stated mountain lion was a favorite meat of the mountain men in the 1700's and early 1800's.
Those mountain men had their choice of about any meat they wanted to eat. No game laws back in those days.
RELH

Hey pokes, your avatar picture has me wondering if there’s a good story there?

And if not could you make one up?

Sorry, I cannot comment on my secret spot where my trail cams catch the elusive split tail specie. Hell, I can’t even reveal my research stories. If I did, the owner may chastise me as he flounders (or fondles) about it. ?

Sorry, I cannot comment on my secret spot where my trail cams catch the elusive split tail specie. Hell, I can’t even reveal my research stories. If I did, the owner may chastise me as he flounders (or fondles) about it. ?
Nothing quite like split tail…

I would eat cat (mountain lion) any day it is very good.
As someone stated it depends on the condition of the cat.
as you all know cats live a rough life and when injured or old ETC. they can become emaciated and or sick in many ways. but a healthy cat is very good eating.
So you see all these new wild game extreme shows on TV that eat possum and other stuff and make it eatable, the same with predators. Bears are no different you have to cook it correctly. to avoid Trichinosis and other food born pathogens.
you are more likely to get food poisoning from a restaurant or bar than a freshly killed Lion or Bear, that has been processed correctly.
step out of your comfort zone and try it you may be asking outfitters and guides that don't want it to give you the meat as long as they don't have to pack it out 4 miles through Hells canyons and no tell em ridge.

I killed and old cat a few years back. Kinda tough kinda fishy tasting still ate it but was disappointed with the hype on it b eing the best.......the hunt was WWAAAAAYYYYY more fun than I was anticipating...setting up another hu nt now thought it would be one time deal just too much fun for a one and done

Boy or boy that went off the rails quickly didn’t it LOL
Pokes nice picture
Proof there is a God

Last edited:
Yes, the cats smell when you skin them, but the meat off the lion I took and several others is like bland pork with no odor - blindfolded my buddies coudl tell difference from pork. It is a bit tougher, so slice this or tenderize accordingly. And be sure to cool to 160-165. But if you get past the stigma, it is good meat.

Lions don't smell great when skinning them, but neither do beef, and pigs. Honestly lion tastes a lot like pork. Deer, elk and even a mutton smell better when skinning.

I tried the back straps on a lion I harvested. As others have mentioned, I thought it was very similar to pork, in taste, texture, and even color. Wasn’t bad at all.

Never killed a lion, but I did cook up some bobcat back straps, and they tasted really good. I did chicken at the same time just in case it tasted bad, my 4 year old liked the bobcat over the chicken.

I have had it a couple of times. Looks like pork and the taste is just as good. It is as good as any other "wild" meat.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom