Mounting Sheds Correctly

S

Sperca

Here is a green horn question:

I have often wondered how a person could mount sheds and claim a true score with any measure of certainty. I mean, how far apart should the pedicles be from one another? Or at what angle should the main beams be positioned? Obviously, how one positions the antlers will affect the rack's overall score, at least in terms of spread. What am I not seeing? Or is it just understood that shed mounters position their horns to get the maximum measurement possible?

What are the facts?

***Sperca

As far as I know there's no sure way to mount them with the exact angle that they were when they were on the buck.

What I usualy do to get a rough estimate is position them so that the eyeguards go straight up or slightly inward.I have never seen a buck where the eyguards grew at an outward angle,but I'm sure there are a few around.

I'm pretty sure you can't score sheds in P&Y or B&C,but you can score them in the NASHC.I believe they just add the measurements (mainbeam,G1,G2,G3,G4,H1,H2,H3,H4,ect...)for singles and I don't thing there is a spread credit for a matched set.

Thanks Bucksnort. I hadn't heard of NASHC. I'll look into it a bit more.

***Sperca

I bought a form from Van Dykes taxidermy supply for mounting sheds. It is a form of a skull cap that has bolts molded into the peticles. They have a couple of differant sizes to choose from. I think it was about $15.
Here is the plaque mount I did with it.
fcb941d2.jpg

Lowedog

Thanks Bucksnort. Pretty nice photos in there. The measurement rules mention something called the "Fair Measurement Rule," referring to how to properly measure a chewed or decayed main beam. But nothing about angle of main beams or distance between pedicles.

Thanks for the website.

***Sperca

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom