Moving to Wyoming

J

JakeS

Well, with any luck I will be getting a new job that will require me to move to wyoming! It's not a done deal yet but I am crossing my fingers. If I get the job, I can live anywhere in Wyoming that I want. what are some cities/outskirts that I should be looking at? I want to be right on top of great big game and upland game hunting. Maybe even a little fishing. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks

You may want to look at the cost of living before you decide! The closer to the gas and oil patch the higher the cost of living, As my son said, you cann't find a lawn to mow in Pinedale for 100K. Saratoga is still reasonable.
Wheatland is not to far from some great elk hunting and houseing is still reasonable.

Casper is in the center of the state and is big enough to have the nice convenience of a larger town. but is close to some of the best deer and elk in the state. with elk in 19, 7, 16, and Ferris and the rattlesnakes. and big mulies in the snakes and Ferris and a lot of good general areas close by plus a ton of public lands its always a good suggestion. Then if you chose to hunt the western side of the state around Jackson is about 4 1/2 hours away. Most of the state is within three hours of Casper. the downside is housing is expensive.

Moseley Middleton

Thanks guys, I will look into those areas. I would be traveling all over the stae for my job, so being centrally located would be a plus, but not necessary. Is there any good upland game hunting in Wyoming?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-12-08 AT 10:00AM (MST)[p]Well, if you want outskirts but not sticks I would suggest Lander. I think it will offer everything you're looking for. I just moved here in April and I'm in love with it. Right at the base of the Wind River range, 2 hours from Casper, 2 hours from Jackson, 20 min from Riverton. Beuatiful mountain lakes 30 min away, one of the best Walleye lakes in the west 45 min away. Areas 24 and 100 for elk are top areas about an hour away. Area 67/90 for antelope and deer is also great. Great Chuckar, Pheasant and Grouse hunting all around. Pretty hard to beat Lander. Small version of Sheridan without the cost of living. Its hard to find a ton of info online about Lander but if you visit you love it. I also love Evanston and Sheridan. Sheridan isn't as central as you'd like to be, either is Evanston. It also depends on what you're used to. I came from Phoenix so there was some culture shock moving to Lander because of its small size (about 8000 people). Casper is nice and central but it gets dang windy there. Lander doesn't get near as windy as most places in the state. Nothing against any of the other suggestions but I think most here would agree that Lander is top notch. Riverton is our closest city over 10,000 people but I'm not a huge fan, nice people but not a very pretty town. If you don't mind me asking, what buisness are you in???

Donnie

Check out the Lovell or greybull area in the BHB. Lots of chuckers and pheasants. Some sage grouse and blue grouse hunting on public lands. Fishing is excellent near Thermopolis. The big game hunting is great if you can draw a tag. Housing market is a buyers world right now.

If you are not into scenery and really enjoy the wind, Casper would be a great choice.

Evanston? Ha Ha (great people, not too much scenery)

I would choose Star Valley.

Greybull and Lovell are very cool towns. Awsome country. My wifes Grandfather(God rest his soul) owned a farm in Greybull. Neat little place. I haven't been to Star Valley yet but I've heard nice things about it.

Donnie

Thanks guys, you are all alot of help. Donnie, there is only one position available and the position is still open so I prefer not ot post it on a public forum. I hope you understand, it's nothing personal, I just have enough competition for the job as it is. I am putting the cart a little before the horse here, but I'm hoping!!!

Oh, I completely understand. There were some pretty good suggestions here for places to live. Take a look on the net and on a map, you won't have any problem finding a nice place to live here. Its all "Big Wonderful Wyoming"!!!

Donnie

I've been looking at all the towns mentioned. Thanks so much everyone. I can't wait o get out there driving around and see which one I like.
Thanks for all the suggestions! I really hope it works out.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom