Mr. Eelgrass

feddoc

Long Time Member
Did you ever work one of these??

That's a sash gang saw. That was before my time. There was a sawmill in Weaverville that had one and I saw it run but had no experience with it. It ran a lot faster than the one in the video.

See how much faster the modern day gang edgers is. It's a bank of circle saws, all shiftable. We cut 2,200 logs per shift on average. Do you know how much lumber production is enough? Always just a little more.

Does That THUMPIN Bastard Have DURAMAX Stamped On It?
Every piece of machinery at our mill was made on site in the machine shop. The debarker, the head rig, all the resaws, edgers and trim saws. There was nothing store bought. All the saws were just blank saw plate and we did the rest.

Look Like Good Machines Not To Get your Hands In!
I watched a kid, Marine, fresh fron Vietnam, poke his hand into a pellet grinder...it made chicken sized pellets out of cow cakes. I was telling him he needs to use a broom handle when the machine un-jammed. It too three fingers of his right hand off at the palm.

Palco used to have that type of saw in their Scotia mill. Believe it was steam powered and moved much faster than that one in the video.

Yes I did. I was in the lumber business and got to go on a good mill tour there. I would have loved to had a chance to run that thing myself!

My dad was a railroad man and they used to haul logs into Palco's pond from Carlota. He would sneak me on the train once in a while when I was a kid. It was fun to watch the logs dump into the pond. A lot of beautiful lumber came from that mill.

My dad was a railroad man and they used to haul logs into Palco's pond from Carlota. He would sneak me on the train once in a while when I was a kid. It was fun to watch the logs dump into the pond. A lot of beautiful lumber came from that mill.
They had beautiful fir and redwood.

I worked with an old saw filer at our mill who was a filer at Palco back in the day. He taught me a lot about saw filing. He said that underneath that mill is a stash of big old growth redwood burl slabs that someone hid at some point. It was still there when he left. After it was put there, they added onto the mill and there was no way to get it out.

When I was about 12 I toured a sawmill in Scotia......I still remember it well
There's only been one mill at Scotia, so it had to be Pacific Lumber Company. They owned the town and built houses for their employees to live in. My wife's cousin worked there and lived in one of the houses for many years.

eel did they ever find out what happened? Did they use a lockout ? , I’m just saying maybe another worker turned it back on

130535DC-749C-46CC-B6B5-17A17872941F.jpeg

Skidmore, there was confusion in the beginning but evidently they just neglected to lock out.

You're supposed to lock out with your own unique lock and take the key with you now. That way no one can unlock it but you. Our mill has a zero tolerance policy with that. Immediate termination for any violation.

Edit: in the case of more than one person working on a machine each one has to lock out. You can't depend on others lock.

Last edited:
I remember working on a rock crusher or a broken belt at the time people just put the lock on with no lock , Crazy

I Don't know How Many Of You Know What a BALL MILL Is?

But several Years Ago Some Guys Had Things Shut Down For Maintenance In a Nevada Gold Mine!

A Guy/Guys Had Been Working Inside The Ball Mill & One Guy was Still Inside The Ball Mill When Somebody Fired It Up!

Not Good!

They're Still Keeping It Quiet Somehow!

I Can't Imagine MSHAW Not Saying More Than They Have?

Our sawmill has a piece of machinery they call the PET, (precision end trim). Like everything else it was made in house. A table feeds one board at a time through a pair of cut off saws. The outboard saw is movable in and out and is adjusted by a very fine jack screw attached to a motor. The whole assembly came from a surplus WWII torpedo tube. You can adjust it to within 1/32" and it will stay on size all day. The trim ends fall down onto a conveyor belt and end up in a chipper.

I wasn't in need of a lockout because my job never called for me to do anything that required one.

I was walking by it one morning and I noticed the conveyor belt was plugged up. I saw that the belt was not moving but I didn't notice the drum that the belt rides on was still running. I assumed the operator had shut it off.

Being the loyal employee that I was :) I went over and started unplugging the belt. I grabbed a piece that freed everything up and the belt took off and pinched a board with my hand on it up against a steel cross member. I yelled to the operator and he shut the belt off...too late. I could tell it was bad. I took my glove off and my hand came out, but my little finger stayed in the glove. It could have been a lot worse, but hurt like hell at the time.

But several Years Ago Some Guys Had Things Shut Down For Maintenance In a Nevada Gold Mine!

A Guy/Guys Had Been Working Inside The Ball Mill & One Guy was Still Inside The Ball Mill When Somebody Fired It Up!

Not Good!

I have a small one.

Our sawmill has a piece of machinery they call the PET, (precision end trim). Like everything else it was made in house. A table feeds one board at a time through a pair of cut off saws. The outboard saw is movable in and out and is adjusted by a very fine jack screw attached to a motor. The whole assembly came from a surplus WWII torpedo tube. You can adjust it to within 1/32" and it will stay on size all day. The trim ends fall down onto a conveyor belt and end up in a chipper.

I wasn't in need of a lockout because my job never called for me to do anything that required one.

I was walking by it one morning and I noticed the conveyor belt was plugged up. I saw that the belt was not moving but I didn't notice the drum that the belt rides on was still running. I assumed the operator had shut it off.

Being the loyal employee that I was :) I went over and started unplugging the belt. I grabbed a piece that freed everything up and the belt took off and pinched a board with my hand on it up against a steel cross member. I yelled to the operator and he shut the belt off...too late. I could tell it was bad. I took my glove off and my hand came out, but my little finger stayed in the glove. It could have been a lot worse, but hurt like hell at the time.
Necklace?

Not Good!

Keeping a fatality quiet at a mine site? ? That’s about like saying the gals at the beauty parlor didn’t talk about who’s banging the pool boy. Word travels immediately about such things. Especially in our modern social media world.

There is triple redundancy for entering a confined space with spotters required, LOTO requirements and many permits and authorizations required. Would be very difficult to make this happen. Not that it couldn’t… but if it had, a simple search on mshas website would bring it up in more detail than most care to see. Just sayin…

Not Good!

Keeping a fatality quiet at a mine site? ? That’s about like saying the gals at the beauty parlor didn’t talk about who’s banging the pool boy. Word travels immediately about such things. Especially in our modern social media world.

There is triple redundancy for entering a confined space with spotters required, LOTO requirements and many permits and authorizations required. Would be very difficult to make this happen. Not that it couldn’t… but if it had, a simple search on mshas website would bring it up in more detail than most care to see. Just sayin…

No, the company didn't give me a necklace. They gave me a paper to sign admitting what a f*** up I was.
I have a terribly morbid sense of humor…….. I just spewed Diet Coke on the breakfast table.

Don’t ya just hate it when they make you sign for the obvious. Was your hand still dripping when they handed you the pen eel?

I have a terribly morbid sense of humor…….. I just spewed Diet Coke on the breakfast table.

Don’t ya just hate it when they make you sign for the obvious. Was your hand still dripping when they handed you the pen eel?
No, they made me stew on it and wait a couple weeks so the safety committee could discuss it. :mad:

They sold work gloves in the foreman's office and every time I went in there to buy a pair, I told them I should get a 10% discount because I only have 9 fingers. Then I took my pocketknife out and cut off the little finger of the left hand glove. :ROFLMAO:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom