Mt Emily spike 1st season

Buckmiser

So it looks like I put in for the spike tag. Meant to put in for the bull tag and just earn a point with the long shot chance of drawing. Only had 2 points so no big deal.

looks like 600+ spike tags plus the bull tags. Sounds like a zoo with low (16%) success. Is it worth it? Are there that many spikes in the unit?

Thoughts?

thanks

I drew the same hunt as a second choice. The stats speak for themselves - 16% on spikes for sure isn't a great hunt, but I would guess, a good many of those 600 tags don't even hunt it. And for sure, if they do, they don't get off the road and really hunt hard.

For me, it's cool country, good chance to see some decent bulls, and any hunt is better than staying at home.

I had the any bull tag back in 2012 so it'll be fun getting back up there. Not nearly as much fun as that hunt was I'm sure, but still fun. Went from 65 Wednesday before the season to 8" of snow Friday night that year. Be prepared for anything.

Was the only NR with a big bull archery tag there last year. It was a complete joke. If you are spike hunting my only advice is to leave your freakin bugle call in your tent. Your competition walks around educating elk all day long. I saw zero spikes hangin in any camps in 4 weeks there. I was able to stalk in on a few elk, including a tall spike broadside at 30 yards, without calling. Even took several photos. But it seems nobody there was interested in doing that.

I ended up with a 320" but will regret doing a drop camp the rest of my life. Good luck.

Was the only NR with a big bull archery tag there last year. It was a complete joke. If you are spike hunting my only advice is to leave your freakin bugle call in your tent. Your competition walks around educating elk all day long. I saw zero spikes hangin in any camps in 4 weeks there. I was able to stalk in on a few elk, including a tall spike broadside at 30 yards, without calling. Even took several photos. But it seems nobody there was interested in doing that.

I ended up with a 320" but will regret doing a drop camp the rest of my life. Good luck.
A bugle call never even entered my mind. As I stated I meant to put in for the bull tag and just get another PP.

$588 for a spike is a lot of $$$. Still don’t know if I’ll bother. Like osu said, it’s better than staying at home!
Time will tell, maybe I purchase the tag, maybe I don’t.

A bugle call never even entered my mind. As I stated I meant to put in for the bull tag and just get another PP.

$588 for a spike is a lot of $$$. Still don’t know if I’ll bother. Like osu said, it’s better than staying at home!
Time will tell, maybe I purchase the tag, maybe I don’t.

This is one hunt where no it's not better than staying home. To pay $588 for that experience would be mind boggling. :ROFLMAO:

Buckmiser might spend $588 on breakfast.
Everyone's personal hunting budget is different.

If it's something he wants to try then go for it. You only get a finite number of hunting seasons.

A question for those of you who have hunted Mt Emily. If a guy puts in the time/effort, drops into some deep canyons in basins he’s scouted elk, gets away from the ridge top pressure, can he reasonably expect to find a spike? My original question, are there that many spikes in this unit.

I have no problem putting in the extra effort to be successful, even for a spike. I've heard many a hunter comment about "you won't find a cow/spike hunter up/down here."

Well I would go up/down here there etc. for success.

What are your thoughts?

I helped a friend with the big bull tag last year during the rifle season. Guessing by the 660 tags you mentioned, you have the rifle tag. We saw numerous spikes every day in different parts of the unit. We saw them bedded within 400 yards of a main road and even pointed one out to some spike hunters. It was "too much work" for them to go after that bull so they kept road hunting. If you are willing to go a few days early to scout out some spikes, you won't have any trouble filling that tag. Spotting scopes and pack frames will be needed but it's elk hunting. It will be a zoo of people with most big bull rifle tag holders having an army of people helping to locate big bulls but it's what you make of it. The vast majority of people we saw were glassing from their pickups. Get out and hike for a different vantage point and you will do fine. If you need any help with areas to focus on, let me know.

My family and I have hunted the spike only season in Mt Emily ever since they made it a spike only hunt (many years ago). It was always our second choice for when we didn't draw the Murderers Creek unit. Mt Emily used to be a either sex tag before the major poaching bust that resulted in the blue mountain lodge being burned down. It's really sad how many animals that guy and his buddies too out of that unit and even sadder how many he left to rot because his wench wouldn't reach them. That is not an easy unit for a spike. That being said it is a lot of fun to hunt and you will see some really nice bulls in the unit during the spike season. I helped Zim out last year for his bull tag and am willing to help others out. The unit is very popular for second choice spike but it is a fun hunt and to me it's worth going out for.

My family and I have hunted the spike only season in Mt Emily ever since they made it a spike only hunt (many years ago). It was always our second choice for when we didn't draw the Murderers Creek unit. Mt Emily used to be a either sex tag before the major poaching bust that resulted in the blue mountain lodge being burned down. It's really sad how many animals that guy and his buddies too out of that unit and even sadder how many he left to rot because his wench wouldn't reach them. That is not an easy unit for a spike. That being said it is a lot of fun to hunt and you will see some really nice bulls in the unit during the spike season. I helped Zim out last year for his bull tag and am willing to help others out. The unit is very popular for second choice spike but it is a fun hunt and to me it's worth going out for.
How about helping out an Army vet? I have a spike only rifle tag and just need to know a general area to look.

Back
Top Bottom