Mt. Goat Pics

LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-03 AT 12:37PM (MST)[p]is that on an elkhorn or wallowa tag? i live in the wallowa mountains, if youve ever been there, it aint hard to tell why, some of the most bueatifull countyry there is, and some of the best goat and sheep hunting too! im guessing that was on or near the north face of chief joseph?

Later Yall!!!!
deer.jpg

Old Oregon:

It is actually an elkhorn goat taken high in the Rock Ck. Drainage. I had planned on harvesting the billy with a bow, but 65 yards was as close as I could get and I wasn't about to let the largest animal out of the 100 that I scouted escape in the vertical cliffs. I crept within 30 yards of another brute in early August who probably had larger horns, but the body size of the one I ended up taking was much larger. I'm getting a full-body mount done and had to special order a form because I couldn't find one large enough. Next up is the Hurricane Divide sheep tag (I hope anyways).

EE

your not allowaed to get hurricane devide untill i do, by the way, how the hell did you beat out 2000+ people for that tag, how long have you been applying/ buy the way, i live within 1 mile of hurricane devide, in lostine, if you every need hel, scouting, packing, finding areas, let me know, i scout those goats all summer long, i know those goats almost as good as anyone!

Later Yall!!!!
deer.jpg

Just wondering what are the bases and lenght of the horns? A 400 pound goat is very rare?

EagleEye - Hey, nice goat man. I'm guessing six inches bases and ten inch length. About 50 inches total? Congratulations on an excellent billy, they are hard to come by. How was the pack out?

LBR

Very very good job, old goat, on your own, long pack out. That is a 10 out of 10 on the accomplishment scale.

Great job.

Great job on the goat matt.

-Cass
"Vegetarian : And old Indian word for bad Hunter"

Very nice! Just wondering, did he really weigh 400 pounds? Or was that an estimated field weight? Thats huge if he did... Not calling you out just wondering, the dead ones I've been around were lucky to make 275. Not only a large set of horns but a huge body. Good work, congrats!

Ivan

Here's how I came up with a 400lb+ weight on my billy. Cape, head, horns weighed 110 lbs. Meat, all boned out, weighed 115lbs. That's 225lbs. I lost a small amount of meat to my bullet, all bones, ribcage, spine, etc.., as well as the guts and organs and stomach weighed an estimated 175lbs. Some may disagree about that number, but I can assure you that it took two guys everything they had to just roll the beast over to take some photos. Also, remember that this guy was almost 12 years old, the oldest goat ever to come our of the Elkhorns according to the resident biologist. It was a great hunt and unfortunately I won't be able to hunt Oregon goats again, except in my memories.

Love Big Racks:

You are right on the bases and length. The score would have went higher if it weren't for the huge gland on the top of the goat's head that resulted in the bases being slightly eaten away. It's weird about goats, I've seen a 6 1/2 year old billy score higher than my 11 1/2 year old billy.

As far as the pack goes. It sucked, especially with a hunting partner laughing at me struggling up and then down the mountain. Lots of blood, sweat, and tears.

Bambi, I agree with Eagle_Eye. My goat was estimated at 350. The coat, head and horns went 72 lbs, the boned-out hindquarters and loins went 70, and the front end was so destroyed, we left most of it (300 WSM destroys stuff went it goes through bone!). I could not believe the size of his belly, it looked like he had the stomach of a cow.

Nice goat, Eagle. I showed it to my friend and guide before we went. I was real happy to come close to a 10-inch billy in that area, and he was ecstatic!

Harry, if you ever want to hunt so hard you'll cry, go on a goat hunt! The scenery alone is worth it.

hes not telling you guys that this is top five goats ever taken in the sate, if you ever chance across a book called oregon big game records, his pic is in there.

Later Yall!!!!
mule-deer.gif

I was just curious on how you got the weight, and how much they weigh. I have a feeling that I under estimate weights a lot of times. We never weighed the ones I was around we just guessed what they would weigh. I suppose the guts to body ratio is higher than on say a deer or elk. Now that I think about it, We had the same experience. The hide and head weighed about 75-80 pounds and we had about 100 pounds of meat not much wasted... The boned out carcass probably wieghed about 60 and guts were probably 50-60. So that would put them at about 290 to 300... Still not as big as your guys'... But they weren't all that old either.

Anyway congrats to both of you again on taking two fine goats!

Ivan

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-03 AT 06:32PM (MST)[p]Those are big goats, huge actually? From the research that Dr.David Shackleton has done on goats his mean weight was 131.1 kg or 288lbs for adult males, mind you those goats are all from British Columbia. From my experience of being on apprx. 12 billies,(in BC were are allowed to shoot a goat every year) all seem to fall around this size of 250-300lbs. Your goat must of scored well with 6 inch bases and 10 inch on the lenght, if you look in the B&C book, goats of that calibre score between 51 and 52 inches if they hold any kind of weight. I was just wonder what the Oregon state record is? and what was your goats final score?

Nice goat and good picture, Cheers Ramchaser

If I remember this correctly, I think I read this goat went 50 inches, maybe a shade over. You were in the Western Hunter mag right? The Oregon record is 52 and change. This one though, like Eagle Eye said, was years older than any goat to ever come out of Oregon. EE put in a lot of time and hard work and it paid off ten fold. I bet his hunting partner wasn't really laughing at him, or at least I hope not. The blood, sweat, and tears build character and now you have a memory that will last a lifetime. That's the stuff dreams are made of.

LBR

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom