MT. Griz , From way back then

T

Taqukaq

MT. Griz , From way back then

Here are a couple of Griz pic's from Montana when we use to have a hunt. The hunt was very well managed and allowed the sportsman to harvest a few bears every year. It enhanced the fall hunt and brought in some good money with tag sales. Of course now days the Giz is protected in Montana but a similar number of bears die every year but at the hands of frustrated ranchers and a Montana Stated Bear hunter that traps relocates and allows a bear the three strikes rule (Third time he's a problem they kill him.) which is most often the case.. This wonderful bear justice system is of course funded with tax payer dollars. Once again what at one time was a plus for the tax payer is now a negative.

~Jeff~

If I recall right this was the last year of the hunt in Montana.
MT00.jpg

Note: Tagged bear. He was trapped form the Glacier park area after many problems and then released in a hunting zone.
MT49.jpg

A tad smaller bear but still a dandy for a lower 48 bear
MT12.jpg

RE: MT. Griz , From way back then

WOW! Nice pumpkin head on that guy! Would make for a beautiful mount!!

Chris

And he did, Life size, one foot up on a 30inch high juniper stump the other kinda swatting . I'l take a picture and post it one day. The blue ear tag is still on my key ring.

~Jeff~

I remember when Montana had a griz season. Back then, I didn't pay much attention. I was too busy with my deer and elk hunting. Now, my backyard is the proposed new introduction area. I don't know how you fellow MM.com regulars feel, but would you want some of these in you're favorite hunting spot? I realize some of you with experience in Alaska probably would think this is no big deal. But, the typical hunter today that frequents the areas targeted for re-introduction here in Montana, is not used to the presence of the big bears. A recipe for tradgedy I think. Too many people have had these areas free from threat for decades. It will take more than signs on the trail to educate the occasional hiker. We have grizzlies here in Montana already. And from what I hear and read, a pretty healthy population. Keep them where they are. If the bears move on their own, that's a different story. mtmuley

I think your on track, The Alaskan bears (Brown&Giz) are much like the Montana bear use to be. When they are hunted they have fear of areas where humans are present, which seems to make for a well mannered bear. The grizzly bears I have encountered in the last decade in the Montana wilderness raeas have been simular to park bears. No fear of man or my camp or my stock. This don't make for a good situation. I do know that the transplanted Grizzlys in Montana are being transplanted for a reason, They have been in trouble. So that seems to comlicate the issue more. If they transplant a Grizzly in your area there is a good chance he is already a problemed bear. I know the one Trapper/Hunter the state has hired out of the Flathead valley area in Montana. I stop by his home and chat with him if I see he has brought one of his cages home with a live bear in it. He has some dogs he uses for his work. All in all he has a rather nice job but the sportsman could achive simular results with a regulated hunt. And maybe at the same keep the bears respectable of human occupied areas. ~JJ~

Now we know where Osama is! He's killing Grizzly bears in Montana....

Taqukaq, Now I'll tell you where I am. I live in the Bitteroot valley on the edge of the Bitteroot-Selway. If you are familiar with this area, you know what a mess the re-introduction could make. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-04 AT 11:01PM (MST)[p]I know the area fairly well, One of my boys lived in Stevensville for awhile and I made my way down and looked around the area with him a time or two. This reminds me of a debate I was having with a few online about the reintroduction of predators. One fellow made the comment that there was not enough loss of livestock and injured and loss of human life with predator interaction to be a real problem. I just always wondered if he would be able to say that if his livestock or family accouted for the numbers involved. I know living in Montana you hear about the attacks and death (human) involved with the Glacier Park bears every year. It's odd how that news stays put in the area there, I spend my winters in South Florida and we have the shark attacks on a regular basis and that news never goes anywhere either. Right now I have friends fighting the Park Service in the Everglades due to livestock loss to the reintroduced Panther. I am leaning towards seeing the Endangered Species Act to be revised and predator not be included. It always seems that once the Fed's get ahold of a program like this it gets out of control.

~Jeff~
PS: You know if word got out that we hung out in a online forum that had such a large California following we might get the boot in Montana:)

Sounds a lot like those darn wolves, lol. NE ways, I have no problem with bears, it's when they become more important then human life and well being that I draw the line. If a bear is killing a persons way of providing or even killing people and the feds say that you can't stop em' there is something wrong with that.
Michael

Small world. I grew up in Stevensville. I was born up North in Shelby, but spent most of my early years in Stevi. I graduated high school in 1984, in Stevensville. Might I possibly know your son? mtmuley

This is Dave last year mtmuley, his face ring a bell? He has been here in Alaska for about 7 or 8 years now. When he was in Stevenville he was logging.

A16.jpg

Wow very nice pictures, thats something I dream to do some day.

I can't place him, but I was gone for a lot of years to Nevada. Just returned home to the Bitteroot in 1999. It's quite possible we may know some of the same folks. Thanks for the pictures and conversation. Might be hunting griz up here again someday. Lot's of guys here have the SSS credo. (Shoot, Shovel, Shutup) Might not be right, but I don't feel the re-introduction is either. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom