MT unit 670 west of Opheim?

Howellandson

Hey guys, I'm planning a mule deer trip for 2019. Looking at hunting the last 8 days of the season. I'm specifically interested in the area West of Opheim below the Grasslands National Park in Canada. Just wondering if anybody has hunted this area and could share some insite.

Thanks! Jim.

Never been there. Know people that have hunted there and took some great bucks in the past. The place in not a secret anymore. I would expect plenty of other hunters in mid Nov.

lots of road hunters,lots of UTV and ATV trails and lots of places for the deer to stay on private. There are deer to be had but everybody and their smartphone has an OnX app and that place is going to get hammered.

Your mileage may vary.

Hopefully there isn't a real bad winter or you will need to be making different plans.

Nemont

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other.

Are there ATV trails on the BLM? When I zoom all the way in on my OnX map I can see lots of what look like trails and was wondering.

How about the Bitter Creek Study area? Loaded with hunters as well?

Thanks fir the info! Jim.

On the Bitter Creek WSA used to be a fun area to hunt. Now there are usually campers parked where we used to shoot deer. As the rut gets closer and the weather is okay the number of hunters grows.

If you can hunt during the week and find a place away from roads and spend enough time behind your glass to really look you will find a decent buck. I would say if you find a a 145 buck or bigger you should be shooting IMO. I will say there are a lot of deer out there this year.

Like I said your mileage may vary.

Nemont

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other.

Tons of hunters the last few years and lots of small bucks. It's went way down hill the last few years imo.

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

Let us know how you do. I grew up hunting that area. Used to be a lot of fun. Over the years, the bucks got smaller and the hunters multiplied. It became a hunt we didn't enjoy as much so we stopped around 15 years ago and moved onto areas with less pressure. Could still be a fun hunt, I am sure.

Thanks for all the info guys! This trip is going to be my sons first western hunt, I will definitely let you know how we do! Planning to hunt November 16th-25th. This is based on everything I've been reading about the rut out there. What's everyone?s opinion on timeframe of peak rut in that part of the country?

Also if it's not too much, I'd like to hear your thoughts about camping roadside on the BLM. Is it worth roughing it in the cold out there to get a jump on everybody that's commuting from hotels, or a waist of time?

Thanks again! Jim.

My opinion is that you are likely to hit the rut just right. Yes on the camping IF you have the right gear. It can be dangerously cold and almost impassable with moisture. That time of year is a roll of the dice for weather. I always found a lot of out of state hunters went earlier to minimize the risk. PM me if you want to discuss anything more specific.

Just left from there. Saw very few deer. It was my first time in that area. Currently in SE part of state. Lot more deer

>Just left from there. Saw very
>few deer. It was my
>first time in that area.
>Currently in SE part of
>state. Lot more deer

I just left from there as, and I agree, very few deer compared to last year.....

Jim - check your inbox, as I sent you a PM.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-18 AT 08:50AM (MST)[p]>Are there ATV trails on the
>BLM? When I zoom all
>the way in on my
>OnX map I can see
>lots of what look like
>trails and was wondering.
>
>How about the Bitter Creek Study
>area? Loaded with hunters as
>well?
>
>Thanks fir the info!
> Jim.

I know I'm gonna catch more flak than a B-17 flying over Germany in 1943 for saying this but I feel like ATVs/UTVs have really had a negative effect on hunting. People just cut new trails all through the forest having no regard at all. It's hard to find an area where you can avoid hearing them rumbling through the woods. I used to be jealous for not being able to afford one but now I think that by hunting areas where access for them is limited or restricted has made me a better hunter.

Hey guys, haven’t been on here in a while, thought I’d post the pics from our MT hunt last year. Thanks for all the advice!! Good luck this year!

ECCBE693-BBF0-4009-82A8-26BF565ABE5D.jpeg

C90C806E-DDDC-42A9-8964-A011C0F85BBF.jpeg

Thanks for sharing and congratulations.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom