Mule Deer 221-223 Late any weapon

BTRTHANU

Long time scroller first time poster- I drew my first tag after 4 years.. Super excited/grateful. Anyone care to share their experiences in this area? I’m looking forward to scouting this area to the fullest

What are your hunt dates?

The 3rd season (late) has the longest draw odds of any deer tag in Nevada. And you got it as your second choice, amazing. But with only a couple of 241-245 tags, it's possible.

PM me. I hunted that hunt 5 years ago. And the muzzy elk hunt, which overlaps that hunt, about 10 years ago.

There are several guzzlers in that area, I would start there. If you get out in the back country, you will have a really good chance of finding yourself a toad.

Congrats on the awesome tag, and good luck!

Thank you again to everyone for the kudos! I've come to realize drawing a tag like this as my first tag is unheard of. I have to make this a experience of a lifetime- I will follow up once we start getting closer to season!

GREAT TAG! One of the best in the state. The whole unit holds deer during the late hunt. Its more about covering ground and glassing for groups of deer. Those last couple days of your hunt will be awesome! Goodluck

Congrats! I helped a buddy last year who drew that same tag. He harvested a nice 3x4. Access in general is pretty good, but some areas can get dicey when it rains. You can set up camp in the unit or stay in Ely, Pioche or Panaca.

You should have no problem finding deer. Get away from the road and you will find the bigger boys. Good luck, stay safe and have fun!

It's the mid season tag, better than the point I earned. But a different hunt than late.

Get off of the beaten path.

The lower junipers hold some of the biggest bucks in that unit, but they are almost impossible to hunt. Every morning on our elk unit we would hike through those junipers in the dark. A couple of times we would make it back through there while it was still light. Biggest deer tracks I've ver seen.

One night, after coming off of the mountain real late, we were bouncing out late in the truck when a 190'' buck walked in front of the truck at 30 yards. While scouting that same area before the elk hunt, I saw a similar looking buck I jumped out of it's bed. This was during the early part of the mid season deer hunt.

They are there, luck will help.

Good luck.

It's the mid season tag, better than the point I earned. But a different hunt than late.

Get off of the beaten path.

The lower junipers hold some of the biggest bucks in that unit, but they are almost impossible to hunt. Every morning on our elk unit we would hike through those junipers in the dark. A couple of times we would make it back through there while it was still light. Biggest deer tracks I've ver seen.

One night, after coming off of the mountain real late, we were bouncing out late in the truck when a 190'' buck walked in front of the truck at 30 yards. While scouting that same area before the elk hunt, I saw a similar looking buck I jumped out of it's bed. This was during the early part of the mid season deer hunt.

They are there, luck will help.

Good luck.
Yup. Saw the biggest deer of my life (in person) down around 4500' in early December. Huge 5x5. Don't be afraid to make an attempt down low if there is water/food.

I hunted there back before it was split seasons.
I worked my butt off scout it all summer long and did kill a buck but it wasn’t easy.
I know guys that have had the late hunt recently and came out unsuccessful. I think you will get out of it what you put into it. I wouldn’t count on being lucky. It’s a big area with low densities. There are some great bucks there but will be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I hunted there back before it was split seasons.
I worked my butt off scout it all summer long and did kill a buck but it wasn’t easy.
I know guys that have had the late hunt recently and came out unsuccessful. I think you will get out of it what you put into it. I wouldn’t count on being lucky. It’s a big area with low densities. There are some great bucks there but will be like looking for a needle in a haystack.
I feel differently. Take a few drives in the off-season and you will find good bucks and the areas they hang around. You can see a lot of deer in the summer, even down low. If you have a spotter, even better. Focus on finding water sources. You don't have to have "boots on the ground" to find deer.

Hunt high!! Takes alot of snow to really push the mature bucks down in elevation. This is my brother buck from 2 years ago in that area. He got him on the last day of the hunt November 2nd if my memory is correct. A good buck but if you want something more mature then get ready to hike your butt off!

2D5EB5AF-B4F7-47E9-ADE1-7A91AAF51057.jpeg

I will expand on my post from yesterday for what it’s worth.
I had the 221-223 muzzleloader deer hunt as my fifth choice this year. I went into the draw with five resident points.
I thought for sure I would have at least drawn that fifth choice but was unsuccessful so I’m really bummed out that I didn’t draw anything this year.
I think the 221- 223 late rifle is one of the best deer hunts in the state.
There are some good bucks in there and a few great ones. Keep in mind there will be 719 deer tag holders and 157 elk tag holders hunting it before you get there. The bucks will really be hiding out in the thick stuff.
The advantage you have is that while you are there they’re only going to be 27 deer tags. There will be a lot of guides and spotters around though. The later season dates will help to get some cold weather to get the rut to kick in.
Like I mentioned above, you should take some scouting trips in the summer to find where the good deer habitat is. Then you should go a week early for your hunt and see how the mid season is winding up. Talk to as many hunters as you can and find out what they are seeing. Especially where most of the does are.
I have two friends that had that late hunt in 2016 and it wound up being a bust. They were looking for the rare bigger bucks but didn’t see any. It was warm and dry that year with a super full moon. At least this year the moon isn’t going to be full. Just hope and pray for cold wet weather.
Another FYI.
From what I have heard some of the biggest bucks killed out of unit 223 come from around the hayfields near Panaca.
Good luck! Wish you all the best.

**Correction to title: My hunt is mid Oct 17- 31st. My 27th birthday falls on the 29tho_O the timing couldn't be any better
So you drew the midseason?
That changes everything. Not such a good hunt anymore.
Now you really really have your work cut out for you.
No wonder you drew with only four points. You’re going to need to lower your expectations and if you see a buck like the one in the above pic you better take him!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom