Mule deer management

cqh1

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-09 AT 06:45PM (MST)[p]I emailed several people with the game and fish and finally got a reply. Everyone should send an email to the email address below and voice your opinion about how the state should better manage the deer; especially regions G and H.

Here is the email address: [email protected]

Copy and paste my message and place your name at the bottom or make your own message, but please send an email so they will know how we feel!

I have sent the following message:

To whomever it may concern:

Please begin to manage mule deer in regions G and H in the same conservative manner as pronghorn. Limit resident licenses. Set quotas for each unit; no general licenses for residents and no region licenses for non residents. Decrease harvest; fewer buck and doe licenses. Shorten seasons. Please do whatever is necessary to make this area of Wyoming a great place to hunt mule deer once again.

Thank you,

Cody Q. Heinbaugh
cqheinbaugh photography
105 Rd. 1WAW
Deaver, WY 82421
307-941-0684
www.cqheinbaugh.com
[email protected]

I sent emails to several people in the game and fish and other organizations to find out who specifically to contact about mule deer management. One person replied to my request and said to contact Susan Stewart at the email address listed. She will read the emails and let the biologists, wardens and others involved with season planning know what our views are. This will be useful for people who cannot attend the season planning meetings throughout the state.

Cody

www.cqheinbaugh.com

I read your message. Very well written. We need to have everyone send a message. I believe that if they receive enough emails and letters then they may change their management for the better.

Cody

www.cqheinbaugh.com

I sent her a letter asking for some different deer management also, either thru limited licenses, shorter seasons, less doe tags or a combination of any or all of these. Something has to be done hopefully this will help. Those of you going to the meetings and voicing an opinion are important in getting something done. Thanks

>LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-09
>AT 06:45?PM (MST)

>
>I emailed several people with the
>game and fish and finally
>got a reply. Everyone
>should send an email to
>the email address below and
>voice your opinion about how
>the state should better manage
>the deer; especially regions G
>and H.
>
>Here is the email address:
> [email protected]
>
>Copy and paste my message and
>place your name at the
>bottom or make your own
>message, but please send an
>email so they will know
>how we feel!
>
>
>I have sent the following message:
>
>
>To whomever it may concern:
>
>Please begin to manage mule deer
>in regions G and H
>in the same conservative manner
>as pronghorn. Limit resident
>licenses. Set quotas for
>each unit; no general licenses
>for residents and no region
>licenses for non residents.
> Decrease harvest; fewer
>buck and doe licenses.
>Shorten seasons. Please do
>whatever is necessary to make
>this area of Wyoming a
>great place to hunt mule
>deer once again.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Cody Q. Heinbaugh
>cqheinbaugh photography
>105 Rd. 1WAW
>Deaver, WY 82421
>307-941-0684
>www.cqheinbaugh.com
>[email protected]

I wrote a note also hoping to improve the situation. Thanks for working on this..My grandfather was the postmaster in Daniel{he built the log post office there} and I remember...

I know this will piss off a lot of you guys but I think the WG&F should reduce the number of nonresident tags. Now mind you, I'm not against nonresidents, but if you look at the hunter success rates they are always a lot higher than residents. The reason for this is that someone who drove all the way to Wyoming from Pennsylvania, Michigan or where ever is "by God gonna kill a buck". They didn't spend all that money and 36 hours in a truck driving here to go home empty handed. Residents of Wyoming (and other western states) on the other hand always have next year so it isn't a big deal to pass on some small bucks and not kill a deer every year. After all, we can always shoot a cow elk or an antelope if we need the meat. My wife won't even let me put deer meat in the freezer. She hates the taste of venison and will only eat elk, moose, buffalo or sheep. I personally like antelope steaks but can also pass on the deer meat.

I also see absolutely no point in the WG&F handing out extra doe tags. We do not have an over-abundance of deer so why kill does.

I also think we should extend our seasons til Oct 31 (like it used to be when the hunting was good). This would make for a better hunt for all. The outfitters who would squeal because we reduced the non res tags would benefit by being able to take out more clients with an extended season. Although the big money outfitted clientelle also enjoy high success rates, they normally don't shoot fork horns and the like. Their impact on young deer is minimal.

I would be fine with a 4 point size limit on bucks as well.

Bluetick, I am surprised that someone hasn't hammered you by now for your post. I though for sure someone would take the bait.

I am not a Wyoming resident but I see the logic behind non- residents being more likely to shoot a small buck just to fill the tag. I have seen this first hand and I personally have done it in the past. Hunting Colorado the last 2 years I could have taken several small bucks but I have gotten to the point where a tag sandwich is better than shooting a buck your not truly happy with. I wish every state would utilize some kind of tine restrictions. Again, I see some of the logic in Blueticker's response but as a non-resident, please don't cut our tags.

Bluetick's post doesn't piss me off. I just disagree with his logic. I agree that a non-resident is more likely to take a smaller buck to avoid tag soup when they have so much invested. While I am not recommending increasing non-resident tags, but for sake of argument, you could flip your logic to give non-residents more of the available tags because after all the goal is to manage the herd by removing enough animals to meet herd objectives. Under Blue's logic, non-residents should get more tags because they are harvesting the quotas set by game and fish. If you can flip this premise so easy, it is flawed.

I see at least 5 posts per week on here about how to improve mule deer numbers and invariably they always come up with an idea of a "who" should get less tags. Bottom line is, if you want more deer, you have to shoot less deer across the board--residents, non-residents, conversation tags, yada yada. However, noone wants to be that person that has to skip a tag so they always look for the next group to take a tag from. Everyone has to sacrifice to get back the great herds of yesterday. Utah is shining example of what you don't want Wyoming to become.

Bluetick Im a non resident and can tell you that yes people do drive 26 hrs to hunt in Wyoming and go home empty handed. I think its more a matter of a hunters choice to harvest a mature buck and let little bucks walk. I also think that residents also kill small bucks to fill a tag or their freezer.To say that non residents drive so far and have to kill a small buck because they didnt find a mature buck is just not true. I dont think cutting just the non resident is a solution. Maybe cutting the toal number of tags yes but just non residents is plain STUPID!

Plain stupid, that explains it pretty much. Thanks CA, for saving me the trouble of having to say that.

Yep plain stupid $400 for a forky? Why limit NR tags and give unlimited tags to residents. BOTH should be draw.

I know when i have gone to Wyoming, with few exceptions most of the HUNTERS i run into in the back country are nonresidents. IMO, Non-residents as a group hunt harder than Residents as a group. They didn't pay the extra money for tags and fuel to get there only to sleep in and road hunt near town. Some Non-Res guys will eventually take a small deer to bring home but many, like myself, will pass and either take a good buck or none at all.

That's how i see it anyway, no gripes from me either way. I just love to hunt, love to go, and Wyoming has a special place in my heart!

Joey

I think a lot of nonresidents use or have to use outfitters(wilderness) which increases their success rates, and again they usually hunt solid for a week or more which increases their success rates.

I agree with the need to create more limited quota deer area's and argued the point at the last 3 or 4 spring season setting meetings which always falls on deaf ears. Having said that, I wouldn't support complete elimination of all general areas. Most of the eastern side of the state doesn't need to be managed via limited quota tags due to all the private ground. Same in some of the western area's. Last time I deer hunted the Thorofare, there probably wasn't another deer hunter in the country. Something to consider is, if everything was limited quota, the G & F may say this area used to support a 1000 general hunters, so we're going to give out a 1000 limited quota tags. If so, you haven't gained much. Also, if the G & F saw a significant drop in revenue because fewer license were being sold, you might be paying several hundred dollars for a resident tag instead of $40 or $50. If so, you'd have a lot of resident hunters ripping the G & F commission a new one as well as the honcho's down in Cheyenne.

Ive hunted G and H and have taken a couple nice bucks, I do wish they would control residents. I am from cali and really enjoy wyoming. I have had great experiences each time. The only time I ran into something disturbing was when I pulled up to a store and there was a small buck in the back of a truck cut in half the hide still on and dirt and flys all over it, ( a wyoming plate) if you kill it respect it and take pride in the care of the meat. With the new wilderness area proposals from the govt. non residents won't have those options anymore, unless you hire a guide and this average joe cant afford that. The economy in those little towns like Afton and Alpine will take the biggest brunt of that. I will just have to find another area to hunt. my 2 cents.

there is a bill in the house with quite a few cosponsers, its not going to go anywhere and it sure wouldn't go through the senate, a lot of smoke being blown about nothing.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom