Mule Deer Tag

bucks

Ok so with all of the negative threads on the site right now about the mule deer situation, and rightfully so,Keep a open MIND here and have a little FUN.

The DWR just called you on the phone,They tell you have just been awarded the first ever any unit any weapon tag in the history of the state!You only have one day to notify them and confirm that you will take the tag,You have to choose one unit in the entire state to hunt the season of your choice weather it be Archery Muzzleloader HAMS or Rifle. The Tag will be good for the season only of your choice.Excluded from this tag is( Antelope Island)You Must pay the limited entry fee for the tag.And of coarse the 5 year waiting period takes effect.
What would you Do!!! Think about this before your response!!!

Hope you all have a Great Christmas and good luck in the future.

There'd Be Only One Place Left A Guy Might get a half Assed Buck!

ALCATRAZ!

And Doyle Would Probably Be There Rather You Wanted Him There Or Not!:D

Every u-tard wants a muzzy tag. Easy when you can have a scope and bring the capabilities of that muzzleloader to 250+ yards.

It amazes me that Utah allows power scopes. The entire point of a muzzleloader hunt is to be more challenging and less harvesting. Something like the old days prior to scopes.

And don't try to discount the effective range of a scope added to a muzzleloader. Iron sights @ 100 yards is much different than iron sights at 200.

Every u-tard wants a muzzy tag. Easy when you can have a scope and bring the capabilities of that muzzleloader to 250+ yards.

It amazes me that Utah allows power scopes. The entire point of a muzzleloader hunt is to be more challenging and less harvesting. Something like the old days prior to scopes.

And don't try to discount the effective range of a scope added to a muzzleloader. Iron sights @ 100 yards is much different than iron sights at 200.
Ok, I'll change my comment.
I'll take a Paunsaugunt muzzleloader tag and take a traditional Hawkin.
I can "bowhunt" with my 100 yard front loader.

Hey doz
You ASSume that all muzzleloader hunters are all about the new long range gear out there but not so,I shoot a 50 cal Knight iron sight,Oh I also still have my Thompsons 45 cal ball shooter that I cannot his the broad side of a barn with.
So I would be willing to bet you have one of these new high dollar rifles with the carbon barrel and adjustable turret that shoots out to 1200 yards,Drive around in a side X side all day HUNTING???
I am not trying to be rude but not all hunters are all about the big kill and shooting out to 1000 plus yards!

Hey doz
You ASSume that all muzzleloader hunters are all about the new long range gear out there but not so,I shoot a 50 cal Knight iron sight,Oh I also still have my Thompsons 45 cal ball shooter that I cannot his the broad side of a barn with.
So I would be willing to bet you have one of these new high dollar rifles with the carbon barrel and adjustable turret that shoots out to 1200 yards,Drive around in a side X side all day HUNTING???
I am not trying to be rude but not all hunters are all about the big kill and shooting out to 1000 plus yards!
Nah, don't own a side by side. Just helped pack out a cow elk @ 1.75 miles in. I have no problem hiking. I hunt with a .308 for elk and grandpas old .243 for deer. My .308 has the scope that was sold with it (cheapo Nikon BDS 3-9x). I am a poor hunter.

I can only imagine the day when I get a piece that will shoot 1200 yards. Maybe that's why I don't have it because I don't feel its real sporting. Just my personal beliefs.

I love hunting muzzle even before they put all the bs long range scope on them. I have killed multiple deer at 300 yards with open sights but it takes alot of practice.

Right on me also I love the challenge of getting in close to deer,They are smart animals and are very challenging to get close enough to harvest with a muzzy or a bow,I hunt when I get the opportunity with my bow a 61# black widow recurve, I have taken several deer with that bow but nothing to brag about, a few elk one that scored 330 in AZ and a few bears.As far as I'm concerned they can eliminate most of the modern technology used in todays hunting.

I love hunting muzzle even before they put all the bs long range scope on them. I have killed multiple deer at 300 yards with open sights but it takes alot of practice.
Second that just love hunting the muzzleloader season. Did it with open sites, 1x power scopes and todays legal scopes.

Killed my first elk with a TC Hawkins iron sites with the old lead buffalo bullets 30 years ago.

Currently have a Remington Ultimate with 3x9 scope because they allow it and at 61 years old the right eye does not do as well as when I was younger and the scope cures that at any power.

Killed several deer and elk with the Remington and all between 20 yards to 150 yards. My longest muzzleloader kill was numerous years back on a 180 buck with my old White muzzleloader with 1X scope. Not stating the yardage, because I don't want to hear the $hit. Just saying. I still enjoy the muzzy, the season and stocking in as close as possible even when the rifle is capable of longer distances.

Last edited:
I would wholeheartedly support adopting Idaho muzz regs here.

Even further, give me back the Nov muzzy hunt, and I'll happily go back to my Thompson slugs and powder measure.

That's the tag I want. Manti muzzy tag in Nov when it used to be

Hey bucks, you didn't say if you would loose all your points too of you took the tag. Also, why do you want to hotspot our LE units any worse than they all ready are?

Ok so here is the deal,I have quite a number of points built up,I do get to hunt deer every year because I have a LL.I hunt with a Bow or Muzzleloader and in the last ten years I have harvested 3 deer,None of them what most would call a large deer but they all have a special memory to me.I love to eat venison and elk and love to go hunting,I put in for draws in 6 western states for deer and sheep only.As far as Hot Spotting any Limited Entry units I'm not really sure what you mean.I asked if any of you got a tag given to you from the DWR were would you hunt,Some of the replies were LE units and some were not,I really just wanted this post to be a step from getting away from all of the negative threads about the state of our deer herds.I hope I didn't rub any wrong with this!

bucks, thanks for trying to be upbeat. I personally wouldn't give up my points for any Utah tag without doing any scouting. Well, maybe the Henries. Not because I felt that I could kill a giant but because that would be my only chance to ever hunt that unit. I guess I could say the same about the Oak Creeks with all the attention it's got in the last couple years.

I agree with you on the Utah units,I have been going down on the henries for the last 6-7 years and I have seen some really nice animals on the unit but have not been able to score a tag,This year was quite depressing on the deer numbers and quality. My wife and I had rifle deer tags for the Wasatch 4 years ago and never took the tags out of the envelope they were sent to us in, but we went down to the henries on the opener that year just to see what it was like on the opening day and it was incredible that year a lot of deer.Also have done scouting on several other units in the state,It is a somber feeling knowing that when I do draw a tag that its the only one I will get at my age for a limited entry unit,Im definitely going to make sure that I have the time of my life when chance does come my way.The avatar photo I use is a buck from the unit He was really cool! I hope everyone gets there chance to fulfill there dreams in life fore it is short,Good luck to all.

I agree with you on the Utah units,I have been going down on the henries for the last 6-7 years and I have seen some really nice animals on the unit but have not been able to score a tag,This year was quite depressing on the deer numbers and quality. My wife and I had rifle deer tags for the Wasatch 4 years ago and never took the tags out of the envelope they were sent to us in, but we went down to the henries on the opener that year just to see what it was like on the opening day and it was incredible that year a lot of deer.Also have done scouting on several other units in the state,It is a somber feeling knowing that when I do draw a tag that its the only one I will get at my age for a limited entry unit,Im definitely going to make sure that I have the time of my life when chance does come my way.The avatar photo I use is a buck from the unit He was really cool! I hope everyone gets there chance to fulfill there dreams in life fore it is short,Good luck to all.

If you was on the Henry’s four years ago I will agree. My brother had the archery tag in 2017. What a amazing place and year. Not a lot of positive since then from the few I know that have hunted it in the last few years. Completely different experience from what we had.

Henry Mtns, Rifle deer... I've been there before just for fun, so I know the lay of the land a bit. Also, I couldn't live with myself if I killed any big muley while they were still wearing that baby fur on their heads, and their capes looked like a mange dog. I want a hard-horned, swoll-neck bruiser for the wall...

Though, I'd also be tempted at the very late season hunt in the Dolores Triangle, just for a chance to hunt late, like the old muzzy hunts were...

Even further, give me back the Nov muzzy hunt, and I'll happily go back to my Thompson slugs and powder measure.

That's the tag I want. Manti muzzy tag in Nov when it used to b

That's the tag I want. Manti muzzy tag in Nov when it used to be
Right! I started muzzleloader hunting to escape the humans and hunt bucks in or near the rut! I saw a toad 4x4 on the spike hunt up there this year ? 170-180ish

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom