Mule deer winterkill in Oregon?

I apologize if I have missed this conversation somewhere else. I've seen a lot about winterkill in WY, UT, CO and SE Idaho but I haven't seen anything yet about Oregon.

A couple weeks ago the numbers were mostly between 100-170 snow water equivalent. I just checked the map again today (see below) and the numbers have exploded. If I'm being honest I feel sick to my stomach looking at that map. I know most of the mule deer herds in SE Oregon have been under MO for years and this isn't going to help the herds for this year.

I'd love any thoughts or data anybody has, especially on SE Oregon.

Thank you!

Screenshot_20230410-165107.png

There will be virtually no winter loss in OR. we have much better snow packs than recent years but for most of the winter not much snow has been below 5,000 feet.

The SE part of the state had a little more on the ground and I haven't been down there since January. but I can't imagine any animals that didn't survive were going to survive any winter.

Don't read to much into the current snotel readings. yes they're way above average FOR THIS DATE but only because the snow came late and we've been much cooler than normal the last month or so. again, the snow is all high . we're still hoping our reservoirs her in the Ochoco's get enough water in them we'll have better than a haff allotment this year.

I was in SW WY in February and it was depressing. we didn't even come close to that.

If you want to worry about something worry about the fact we have no deer to winterkill.

Lol. Thanks a ton, you have way better Intel than I do! I didn't realize the snow was mostly high and not jeopardizing the ability of the deer to make it through the winter. Sounds like it will be a great thing for water levels and spring green up then!
Thanks again.

The snow is really melting now finally. the Cooked River went from 200 CFS to 2500 in one day.

The other thing we had going for us was some of the best feed conditions going into the winter I've ever seen. even where it was grazed the grass was everywhere when they were pulled off last fall.

Not to say there may not have been pockets where the deer suffered a little, but overall it was a great winter in OR .

Since you asked about SE Oregon here is the run down. First thing is there are very few deer to start with with fewer and fewer deer every year it seems. Beatys Butte deer did fine what few there are. Juniper deer did fine what few there are. Whitehorse deer did fine what few there are. Silvies deer that stayed near Burns around Lonepine and the Hines Logging Road had it pretty bad with 2-3 feet of snow crusted all winter. Hwy-20 between Bend- Burns-Ontario had a ton of road struck deer daily. ODOT told me that 10 a day was getting hit between Juntura and Ontario. The Juntura deer getting hit are primarily Malheur River deer so numbers should be down in that unit. The Beulah unit also has deer in that canyon that had a tremendous amount of road kill. Between the predators "Coyotes" Hwy-20, and the snow some of the Silvies deer got hammered. Along with the Malheur River unit.

Dang. I was hoping the Eastern Oregon deer wouldn't have many issues with road kill, but I guess they can't catch a break. I appreciate all your knowledge on how different herds have faired, kickerbuck, even though it wasn't good news.

Dang. I was hoping the Eastern Oregon deer wouldn't have many issues with road kill, but I guess they can't catch a break. I appreciate all your knowledge on how different herds have faired, kickerbuck, even though it wasn't good news.

Trust me it hard to watch them struggle first hand, and see them constantly hit and laying along the road "It literally Breaks My Heart." Every Doe hit is potentially losing 3 deer and possibly even a generation of deer if she's a barring Doe in her prime :( But like I said south of Burns all the units did pretty well with good moisture/snow that would melt down low. The strip around Burns was brutal with deep snow and cold temps since November.

The Steens got great snow up on the mountain, but the winter range down low was in great shape and those deer can go as low as they would need to get out of any snow. With all that said the moisture was desperately needed, as all of this area has been in a major drought.

Thanks for the additional information. What you're saying makes a lot of sense: the conditions were worse in certain areas than others. Yea I'm definitely glad about lots of snow at elevations above the winter ranges.

Didn't realize the Burns area had that much deep snow. Might have to reconsider putting my dad in for the Silvies Muzzleloader tag.

Those maps a bit misleading in the spring since they are % of normal for that week of you have normal snow and a cool spring you can have really big numbers this time of the year. Look at the snow depth comparison for the year.

That's not far from the truth, but it's been 30 years in the making.

Ther isn't one unit in OR that should have any mule deer tags issued this year if you went by realistic population objectives.

Very true. The tag numbers are just insane for both archery and rifle. Drawing a decent tag is WAY too hard then actually killing a mature buck is even harder.

I don't live on the Eastside, so not sure how this winter effect the deer and elk. However, looking at what happened in Nevada it is very concerning.

It wasn't bad in eastern OR . I live in the Ochoco unit and hunt chukar until February from Fields to Halfway and up to Condon. I saw nothing that was worse than an average winter and milder than average most places.

It wasn't bad in eastern OR . I live in the Ochoco unit and hunt chukar until February from Fields to Halfway and up to Condon. I saw nothing that was worse than an average winter and milder than average most places.
That is great to hear.

The map for Friday shows snow levels are even higher compared to average now. I'm glad y'all helped me understand this doesn't mean all the deer in the Eastern half of the state are dead, buried under feet of snow :eek: Looks like there will be snow pack up high for a while yet :)

Screenshot_20230430-223102.png

The problem is those maps are pretty misleading, yes the snotels are all way above average because this time of year there's normally not much left at all. late snow and cold weather has more to do with it than total depths.

Prineville reservoir is going to fill, but Ochoco will be lucky to get half full as an example . it wasn't a bad winter and the low level snow was nothing bad at all.

I'm not sure there are 7 bucks left, but the winter isn't why.

Back
Top Bottom