Mule Deer

Ryan91027

Im entering my senior year of high school and for a graduation present, my mom and I have been discussing a western hunt in 2021. I live in south Florida so and have been hunting tiny deer in the swamp and have no experience in western states. I have put in a good bit of research and decided on Mule Deer in Arizona. I have been looking into hunting the desert as I think it would be easier on my mom (I would be more than willing to hike 10+ miles a day but she couldnt.) I dont care about getting a monster buck but would rather get a small one than nothing. I have been looking at unit 41 and some of the units around it are these any good? not looking for anyone's secret spot but a general area would be appreciated. I would prefer a rifle hunt as I have a 270 with a 3.5x10 scope, is that enough magnification? I would take an otc archery if I dont draw a rifle tag. Any necessary gear or tips would be greatly appreciated. And sorry for the giant wall of text- im stuck inside with quarantine and bad weather so I have had nothing to do but think of questions to ask

Very Cool of you wanting something like this as a graduation gift and really great that your mom supports you. You just missed the Arizona draw but there may be some leftover tags or you can always do over the counter archery deer in Aug/Sept or December and January. If you are looking at hunting fall 2021 you will need to apply next May and deadline is usually 2nd Tuesday of June.

I have never hunted unit 41 but I think there are a lot better units to apply for. 41 is a very dry sonoran desert unit with low deer densities. I've seen some big ones come from there but they usually come from guys that have been hunting the unit a long time. You can go on azgfd.com and look under the hunting tab then "where to hunt" and you can get more specific information. If you will still be younger than 18 when hunt starts you can apply for the jr. hunts and they are usually very good hunts.

Are you thinking about doing a guided hunt or is this a do it yourself hunt with you and your mom? Are you driving or flying out to AZ? Stay in a motel or camp out?

Your gun/scope setup sounds like it is perfect for a western mule deer hunt. I recommend getting a good pair of binoculars and tripod for glassing. Most guys have learned that is the best way to hunt out west.

I'm sure there are other guys on here that will help out with information. Don't be afraid to ask. We all have to start somewhere. Good Luck

This is a diy hunt and I will be driving to keep the cost lower so I can put some more money into gear for the both of us and any unexpected costs. I think that as long as I can fill up an air mattress for my mom we would camp, I might have a few sleeping pads I could stack which would resolve that. I had looked into glassing optics and thought that a scope would be better than binos, but I dont have any experience with either so which woild be better. I would most likely set up somewhere and glass then go stalk by myself and have my mom direct me from our spot.

Binos over spotting scope, all day long. I sit behind glass for 100+ hours a year (depending on how many hunts, 200+ hours is not unheard of), and I can't use a spotter to glass. Only to really check out an animal I have already found.

I use 10x out to a mile, 15x out to 3+ miles. A good tripod is a must. And GOOD glass is huge. Eye fatigue can end a glassing session quickly. You can rent good optics too, so don't think you have to buy $1500-2500 binos before your hunt.

Regarding 41, if you can pull a rifle tag, you at least have a chance! Deer density is low however. Going on a “flat-land” desert hunt(41) for mule deer with archery gear(OTC) will be a hunt filled with frustration. Trying that on your first time out here in AZ will be tough. I’m not trying to be negative, but those desert mule deer have humbled many seasoned hunters. They‘re like freaking ghosts! Lol

As others have said, you just missed the draw. As a NR, pulling a tag on your first time application will be tough. If you don‘t draw a rifle tag on the next cycle(2021) I‘d do an OTC hunt in the some of the unit’s north and east of the metro area. Downside is that these areas are not flat, so may be an issue with respect to your mom that you mentioned. Hope things work out! Good luck!

I was told on another forum to hunt unit 36, what is the terrain like there? Besides snakes, what other dangerous animals are there? I might borrow a pistol from an uncle on the way up to protect from coyotes if they are an issue

Everything in the desert bites or pokes you. But people are by far the most dangerous animals down there.

Pay attention for snakes and scorpions and you should be ok.

Ryan
I second the binos over spotting scope ... a 12x50 that you can use around your neck and on a tripod, is a good starting point.
Listen to Jay Scott podcast a wealth of information on Western States hunting , gear , terrain , drought conditions and tactics.
Also, begin to familiarize yourself with onX ...an important tool on knowing where your at public / private , setting waypoints , finding water sources and locating knobs to glass from.

Blessings and good hunt no

I always thought 36 would be more coues deer than mule deer. I would prefer a mule deer but would take a coues if I saw a good one

Don’t be fooled by people listing mule deer units to hunt in az .it cracks me up when I see 41 listed on a otc archery hunt and wonder if they’ve ever stepped foot on the otc hunt .. it will kick your butt if you don’t scout or know where to go or how to hunt that unit ! Believe me the hunters that get it done on good deer in those western az desert units are no joke and work there tails off to do so consistently! Key word “consistently“ kill Good deer. with that being said good luck when you do draw an Az tag .

Ryan,
Going into another state as a first timer can be a daunting task. Local knowledge is always a huge plus. I know 35a well and will help if you come my way as far as gear goes right now badlands has a 50% off sale. If you wanna talk about my unit shoot me a pm. It's a good Coues unit with some good muley pockets.

Not sure if kanas or Nebraska would be easier either way bud live your dreams and hang in there and hope the quarantine isn’t too hard on you.

I always thought 36 would be more coues deer than mule deer. I would prefer a mule deer but would take a coues if I saw a good one

I've killed 2 mulies in 36 and the ex killed one also. Saw quite a few whitetails but never had a rifle tag for them. Mule deer near the flats and whitetails near the foothills.

Ryan you should look at general archery tags in Utah as well. When researching a unit you can always look at harvest rates to show what kind of success people have had in the past. It took me three years hunting OTC tags to get a deer, and I was self taught as well. So dont measure success on whether or not you harvest. Check out gohunt.com, they have great resources to help you pick a unit. Google Earth helps with pre-scouting. Good luck.

Ryan you should look at general archery tags in Utah as well. When researching a unit you can always look at harvest rates to show what kind of success people have had in the past. It took me three years hunting OTC tags to get a deer, and I was self taught as well. So dont measure success on whether or not you harvest. Check out gohunt.com, they have great resources to help you pick a unit. Google Earth helps with pre-scouting. Good luck.
What is the terrain like in Utah, I expect it to be high and mountainous. I am a little apprehensive about the altitude in Utah. If I were alone, I would probably choose Utah over Arizona for my first hunt out west, but I am not sure if my mom could keep up.

Be sure to check the AZ draw odds for NR's with no points. Rifle tags can be hard to come by for NR's. If you're not set on AZ, there are likely better odds in other states. There are lots of General tags you can draw in WY with zero or one point, and you can still buy a point this year.

If I had anything to share, I would. But I've never hunted AZ, just bought points.

Good luck!

What is the terrain like in Utah, I expect it to be high and mountainous. I am a little apprehensive about the altitude in Utah. If I were alone, I would probably choose Utah over Arizona for my first hunt out west, but I am not sure if my mom could keep up.
Im entering my senior year of high school and for a graduation present, my mom and I have been discussing a western hunt in 2021. I live in south Florida so and have been hunting tiny deer in the swamp and have no experience in western states. I have put in a good bit of research and decided on Mule Deer in Arizona. I have been looking into hunting the desert as I think it would be easier on my mom (I would be more than willing to hike 10+ miles a day but she couldnt.) I dont care about getting a monster buck but would rather get a small one than nothing. I have been looking at unit 41 and some of the units around it are these any good? not looking for anyone's secret spot but a general area would be appreciated. I would prefer a rifle hunt as I have a 270 with a 3.5x10 scope, is that enough magnification? I would take an otc archery if I dont draw a rifle tag. Any necessary gear or tips would be greatly appreciated. And sorry for the giant wall of text- im stuck inside with quarantine and bad weather so I have had nothing to do but think of questions to ask
Ryan-Good for you ! I feel the very best first big game hunt for you & Mom-- pronghorn antelope in Wyoming & you can do it next year ( very likely) by getting a Preference Point for you both THIS year to use next year in getting a license. Antelope are super fun to hunt, tags can easy if you pick the right unit, you see them all day long, you can stay in a motel or camp out, terrain is usually flat & easy for
Mom, meat is excellent !"I've been hunting them since '78. I'd be glad to,help you any way possible. I'm 73 next month. Look up : top rut.com- great info on tags &'areas in the West. I'll explain it all to you if you're interested ! It's my very favorite big game species. The rifle & scope you have now is very good, just need to add a Bipod that pivots for uneven ground, & can be used sitting/ prone positions. Harris Bipods are super easy to use & very sturdy.
Jerry Gold in Fort Collins, Colorado ? 307-772-1623 cell E Mail: [email protected]

Ryan, you’re a fortunate young man having a mom who will set you up with such a wonderful graduation present. While both my son and I have shot nice Mule deer bucks in Arizona, it is not where I’d recommend you go on a first western hunt.
I think you and your mom would have way more fun doing a deer & antelope combo hunt in eastern Wyoming. There is lots of easy terrain and in many areas you don’t need to do all that much walking. You’ll see tons of animals too. Wyoming Game & Fish offices in Casper and Sheridan have land owner lists that you can get and then arrange access to hunt their private land. In region C, deer tags are easy to obtain and between deer and antelope, you could easily shoot 3 or 4 animals in 4-6 days between both species.
feel free to PM me if you’d like to discuss further.

Hmmm. Three posts in a row for WY. Might be onto something!

Yes, antelope are a fun and relatively easy hunt. Definitely something you should consider. Last time I hunted WY, antelope doe tags were easy to buy also.

Im still on the fence, I have found a unit in arizona with a good draw and decent success. For a wyoming hunt, what is the public access like? I have read online that a lot of the low point regions are mostly private and I dont really have the extra money to pay someone for access. How is Wyoming for mule deer? If I could scrounge the extra money for both tags I definitely would, but I will have to see when it comes time to apply

Hmmm. Three posts in a row for WY. Might be onto something!

Yes, antelope are a fun and relatively easy hunt. Definitely something you should consider. Last time I hunted WY, antelope doe tags were easy to buy also.
Ryan— The days of Landowner Lists in Wyoming from Wy G & Fish Dept have gone a number of years ago. That’s been my experience anyway. Lots tags can still be had in high antelope populated areas, but it takes lots of work & phone calls to find those Ranchers/Landowners before the draws are out in June yearly.! Draws usually come out
6/19 so you must be ready & prepared to get Permissions. Start calling Tourist & Visitors Centers & ask them & then keep calling ! It’s not easy or fast but it can work — persistence ! Also Local Taxidermists, Motel ? Owners, Restaurant Owners, Wy G & F Biologists & Game Wardens MAY help, but no guarantees either. It just takes work , time, persistence on your part. Areas of interest are: Casper, Gillette, Rawlins, Lander, even Laramie.
Ask lots of questions & take/keep
good notes , &. Get Names & Phone numbers & E Mail Addresses !
Jerry Gold in Fort Collins, Colorado ???

Im still on the fence, I have found a unit in arizona with a good draw and decent success. For a wyoming hunt, what is the public access like? I have read online that a lot of the low point regions are mostly private and I dont really have the extra money to pay someone for access. How is Wyoming for mule deer? If I could scrounge the extra money for both tags I definitely would, but I will have to see when it comes time to apply
Ryan- On the Wy G & F web site , pull up the information on applying & the procedures & the hunting area maps of the units— there are many. The maps show BLM Lands- Bureau of Land Management , open areas to everyone to hunt. Access is usually good. Not always.
It’s something to check out with BLM offices & Wy G & F Dept area offices.
The deer ? hunting can be very hit /miss in Wyoming in my experiences. I lived in Cheyenne 9 years & always zeroed in on antelope in the Central Part of the state.
Jerry Gold in Ft Collins, Colorado ???

What kind of clothing would be suitable for wyoming? Just a long sleeve shirt with a lightweight sweater and a midweight hoodie? Since I wouldnt be hunting too far from the road, I dont need to buy as big of a pack and could spend more on another tag

Ryan-Good for you ! I feel the very best first big game hunt for you & Mom-- pronghorn antelope in Wyoming & you can do it next year ( very likely) by getting a Preference Point for you both THIS year to use next year in getting a license. Antelope are super fun to hunt, tags can easy if you pick the right unit, you see them all day long, you can stay in a motel or camp out, terrain is usually flat & easy for
Mom, meat is excellent !"I've been hunting them since '78. I'd be glad to,help you any way possible. I'm 73 next month. Look up : top rut.com- great info on tags &'areas in the West. I'll explain it all to you if you're interested ! It's my very favorite big game species. The rifle & scope you have now is very good, just need to add a Bipod that pivots for uneven ground, & can be used sitting/ prone positions. Harris Bipods are super easy to use & very sturdy.
Jerry Gold in Fort Collins, Colorado ? 307-772-1623 cell E Mail: [email protected]
Very generous Jerry. Good call.

What kind of clothing would be suitable for wyoming? Just a long sleeve shirt with a lightweight sweater and a midweight hoodie? Since I wouldnt be hunting too far from the road, I dont need to buy as big of a pack and could spend more on another tag
Ryan- Mid weight hoodie in desert camo colors. Plus a Wind Breaker too. Keep in mind that Sept in Wy usually hot ? daytime, chilly
at night. Oct - Seasons are changing ,
expect snow/wind anytime anywhere. Cold at night. Closer to Nov., the worse the weather can be & usually is.
Always be prepared for weather changing & look at the forecasts. Long sleeve Flannel shirts, wind resistant pants , hiking ? boots.
The area you will hunt- pull up normal weather patterns on Web & study to be ready. A warm cap but a cool cap too. Both . Blaze orange vest & cap.
Decent quality binocs 8x40’s are Very good. 10 x
40-50 ‘s are just a bit too much. Too much eye strain ! In my opinion.
AN adjustable
15-40 Spotting Scope & Field tripod to be carried along. A decent quality Range Finder too. Learn to use & be able to use fast. Distances are very hard to judge &
deceptive too.
Hope these pointers help !
Jerry Gold in Ft Collins, Colorado ???

If you have an area of AZ you think you can draw, go for it. I and others suggested WY because I know you can draw deer and antelope tags fairly easy, and you can still buy a point this year. If you're driving all the way from FL, you might consider both. Antelope hunts can be fun, and they can be over quickly. As in you drive 36 hours one way and your hunt is over the first morning.

Regarding public access, there is plenty of it in WY. I'm an old school guy so I use the BLM paper maps. My BIL has bought the OnX for our WY hunt later this year. Gonna give it a whirl.
If you want more info about the BLM maps, let me know. But, you could probably just get online and figure it out. I'm guessing AZ has similar maps, and websites.

Agree with whoever posted about the landowner lists. They aren't really worth it even if you can still get them. I tried them several (10?) years ago. Call people and they say they have 100 acres. 100 acres might be good for eastern big woods, but it's nothing out west.

You got it right earlier. Find the nearest dirt road and drive it. Get out and go to a high spot and glass. See antelope, or deer, plan a stalk. In easy-to-draw units, you're not likely to spot a monster, but you'll learn a lot, and have some fun.

Good luck!

Arizona has more public land to hunt than Wyoming . And tags are no easier in Wyoming for deer. Antelope Ya if ya wanna shoot a doe or a dink buck ,hunt can be over in 10 minutes . Shoot from the highway ,I mean pull over and get off a little bit. Good luck..................BULL!

I think LB lives in AZ, so I'll defer to him on public land.

Again, if you have an area in AZ you can draw a rifle tag, and you're set on AZ, go for it. Bottom line, you gotta take the info you get and make your own decision.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. Most importantly, post pics with that big ole buck and that even bigger grin!

Will draw odds and success rates be published in time to look at before applying? Ill keep looking at them now and decide after I put in more research on both states

Will draw odds and success rates be published in time to look at before applying? Ill keep looking at them now and decide after I put in more research on both states
Ryan- All the info is easy to find on the drawings, odds, success too, on : toprut.com
for all the Western States from last years draws. Also, in Wyoming, look ? at the Draw Odds from last several years in the Wy G & F
Hunting /Planning Section, very easy to locate & use ! Any questions, call the Main Office in Cheyenne & ask for help.
For specific units questions, call the Regional Offices as listed in the Web listings of those offices. The Wildlife Biologists & Game Wardens can be a huge help ! Best time to call is in January, they are easier to catch in the office. Or just leave a message anytime.
They are generally very helpful to hunters. I hope this will help you !
Jerry Gold in Ft Collins, Colorado ??

I am leaning more towards Arizona. Since I have 5 choices, I would put a lower chance unit as my first. I have narrowed it down to in no particular order are units 20a, 31, 19a, 17b, and 9. Does anyone have any experience with any of these units. I have kind of written off unit 9 because of the colder weather and possibility of snow.
My other choices will be for unit 28, anyone have a basic are to start loking at, I looked at the azgfd website but the Satellite maps just looks like dirt to me.

If you asked me to put those in what I think is the best order I would go with:
1- 19a
2- 17B
3- 20A
And I have no experience with unit 9 or 31. Personally, When I apply I never even put a choice for 3, 4 or 5.

You don't really have 5 choices. 3rd, 4th, 5th only come into play for hunts which typically have leftovers. For example early October coues hunts in border units, and even those are hard to come by now. I don't know about those units in regards to muleys but I doubt many people if any get a 3rd choice.
That being said, I do know 28 a bit and could give you some pointers.

28 is going to be my 2nd and 3rd choice then, I have a very good chance at getting a tag there. Id love some pointers, ive tried looking at the map but theres just too much land that all looks the same to me, if I were choosing where to go it would just be pin the tail on the donkey

Ryan,

These guys gave you some great advice, Wyoming Antelope.

My wife and step son's first hunts were antelope. See lots of game, mess up a stalk, a mile down the road, you're stalking another goat.

OnX maps or a State GPS chip is huge to tell you what's private and what's public.

Lower point areas have less public but with research you can find a 0-1 point unit that has enough public to hunt. And Wyoming has a program where they pay landowners to allow access. You apply online.

Spend the $30 each to buy a point this year, then hunt next year.

And get a doe tag or 2 if they are available. I like antelope meat better than deer if it's killed in cooler weather.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom