Muledeer Eyesight

nocwalker

Hello all! been checking in and reading since April.

Our 21 archery tags have been awarded.

Been watching a ton of videos trying to get a mental picture of the terrain, vegitation etc.... Have found some 21 hunts mostly in later gun seasons and some Book Cliif videos thinking the terrain might be similar. also watching any archery videos. I noticed in some of the videos the when guys spot deer along ways out, half mile, mile , some seem to mention being seen and it being a problem.

Are these deer that spooky at those distances or is that just video drama???

I realize deer have good eyes but wondering if it really makes them spooky.

Thanks Nocwalker, see you guys in Sept.

Guys love to blame their inability to be sneaky at a minimum level on the animals hyper sensitive senses. They were probably winded (most of these video clowns don’t worry about wind until they are at the 100 yard mark) or they skylined themselves, yes deer can see some prostaffer walking across a bare ridge pretty easily or they could hear them talking during their little stupid selfie interview on their phones so they have “content” for the viewers to see. It’s not hard to see why most of these guys can’t kill stuff regularly when you watch their videos. You wanna see a really awful representation of a bow hunter, go watch black Ovis’ new archery mtn goat video. Holy balls. Nothing stealthy about that guy and the whole video he keeps wondering if he’ll ever get his “opportunity”, then slams a nanny at 10 yards on like day 2, after he basically jump shoots her after busting up a herd. The whole thing is a disaster. As are most all other videos these idiots publish.

do the correct things as a bowhunter and you shouldn’t have much to worry about. Yeah you’ll get busted on stalks more times than not, but if you do you’ll part, you’ll get your opportunity. Muleys have great senses, but they won’t pick out a guy wearing camo, who stays off the skyline, keeps the wind in his face and doesn’t talk loud enough a guy 2 canyons away could hear what he’s saying. A deer that feels like he’s in a safe area and is relaxed is pretty easy to walk within 150 yards. After that it can be challenging given the cover, wind, etc...

As mentioned above keep a bucks eyes, ears, and nose in consideration. All of their senses are incredible. Depending on the area and buck some may hunch down and let you walk by them and others may head over a ridge as soon as they see smell or hear you. The longer you can keep them out sight and hearing range the better off you are. Their nose is as good as any big game animal! Once they get spooked the first time during hunting season they are at full alert. They also are an entirely different critter after they shed velvet.

I'd say smell, sound, sight. Worry about it in that order.

Many times deer may see you, but if you sit still for a bit, they will go about their business provided the other 2 don't exist. Also, sight doesn't seem to spook them from a distance like sight/sound will.

Just my opinion though.

Thanks guys, I thought that impression I got might be a little flawed I dont have the stalking practice you guy out there have so, I'll need to concentrate on scent and sound I'm not as strong as I once was and have one knee thats always sore. Planning on making some kind of soft show for stalking in close, hope that helps with the noise. Hope we find a few decent ones to go after

Nocwalker

Pa, near Phila. suburban hunter. mainly whitetail manager. Mostley treestands which is required at most of my properties.

I have snuck up on and killed 4 in the last 5 years from the ground at the one property where I can do that. it aint easy. but all were yearlings.

I did sneak in on a ground hog a few years ago. kept working in on him to see how close I could get to him. I got closer and closer using the windy day to cover my noise in the leaves. When I got to 5 feet I could see that he was missing his left eye. Thats me, sneaking up on a one eyed groundhog, lol. I made it to 3 ft and reached out and touched him with my bow. He freaked! it was fun.

bill v

Sounds like you are on the road to success! Keep practicing on any animal you can...even your dog or backyard birds!

Delta summed it up well. The sky lining thing can’t be stated enough. Deer can catch movement a lot farther than you’d think, I’m not sure exact distance and it depends on the terrain but I’ve been busted at 400+ yards multiple times with their eyesight and 600+ Yards smell.

Generally at 800+ yards a mule deer won't see you unless you are skyline or moving out in the open. Even at 1000 yards I prefer to put topography or vegetation between me and mule deer I'm stalking. Every deer is different on what it will tolerate. Some won't care if they see you walking by at 500 yards and others will vanish if they spot you at 500 yards. I've had many mule deer let me walk by at less than 100 yards. It just depends if that individual deer sees you as a threat.
A few months ago in AZ I put a stalk on a buck that spotted me at 400 yards. I don't think he knew exactly what I was and I was far enough away from that buck that he still felt comfortable. I didn't make a lot of movement and had vegetation and shadows to my advantage. The wind was also in my favor. I do think if it was a more cautious buck, he would have left the area, just knowing something wasn't right.
As others mentioned, don't ignore the wind. They can and will smell you at 400+ yards. I wouldn't even want to be 1000 yards upwind of a deer that I'm trying to stalk. It may not leave the area after smelling you at long distance but it will be on alert and make your stalk much more difficult. As a whitetail bow hunter, you know it is much more difficult to draw your bow on an alert deer than a deer following his daily routine.
If you are not use to hunting mountains, be very aware of how the "thermal" winds shift each morning. Sometimes it is better to wait for the winds to stabilize later in the morning before attempting a stalk.

yep - many times mentioned already. Do not skyline. that is the main thing. that is when they will pickup movement. Plain and simple.
Also play the wind the best you can. Get a little down wind bottle and keep track of which way the wind is. Once you get down in valleys or around a ridge that wind direction can change pretty quick.

Doz hit it on the head. Smell, Sound, Sight... in that order. If you are first aware of wind and you can make accommodations to not be upwind, you're starting out right. Then keep it quiet. On a deer hunt a long time ago I had been in an area most of the morning and sat down inside the treeline next to a large sage brush opening. I started hearing voices as I snacked... All of a sudden, about 300 yards away, I saw two guys walking along the opposite treeline. I was able to make out a few words even! And my hearing is way less evolved than that of a deer. Last is sight. Remember, nothing stands out like movement in the wild, so if you are stalking in, you must hide your movement.

The reason why spot and stalk is so fun/challenging is because you have to take all of these into account, get it perfect, and after all that, make an accurate shot. I recommend making at least one stalk on an animal you don't intend on harvesting once you arrive to your hunt. Good luck.!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom