Muley or whitetail?

L

Lowedog

A friend from work found this antler this year. It was found in an area that has very few whitetail. We think it is a whitetail or maybe could be a cross. What do you guys think?

He asked me to color it up for him so here are the before and after pics.

fc457829.jpg

fc457828.jpg

Lowedog

I say Mule deer with very short g2's and a short g1. The more I look at the picture the more I second guess myself.

THATS A MULEY WITH THE KIND OF AGE I LIKE TO SEE,PROBABLY PAST HIS PRIME!!!

THE ONLY bobcat LOOKING FOR A MULEY WITH AGE LIKE THAT!!!

I agree with the others,definately a muley.Like bobcat said probably an older buck.Nice coloring job.

I have found a mule deer antler that looks ALOT like a whitetail,I'll post it later.

Muley. I agree with Deerking, awesome coloring job, how did you do it?

Drummond

I'd say a Muley, for sure, and a real nice one too! It's got some serious mass. Nice job on the coloring.

I go back and forth on this one. The main beam makes me think whitetail but the rest of it makes me not so sure. I'll post another picture tomorrow to show the curvature of the main beam. Could it be a hybrid?

I use Minwax wood sheen to color my antlers. It's a rubbing oil, stain and polish all in one. It leaves that natural shine to the antlers. It comes in a plastic squeeze bottle. The color here is colonial walnut. It really works well on hard white antlers. The other side of this antler was toward the ground and still had some natural color to it. The minwax brought it back on that side to a perfect fresh brown color. If it has some cracking like the side shown here it won't look totally natural but you have to be close up to notice.

Lowedog

Taken a few blacktails with main beams curving forward like that, no whitetails here in Ca. Just a characteristic some bucks have . I really like the look of those bucks .

I've had clients who perfer a 3x3 blacktail with browtines over a 4x4. These hunters liked the "whitetail look" of the 3 point. Go figure. Did I mention that they were from Arkansas? I thought I'd throw that tidbit in for one of the guys had worked for Hillary Clinton years ago. Thank God her and Billary aren't in the oval office anymore.

YBO , a couple of the nicer bucks we've taken have the whitetail look and some have the blacktail , muley look . On the bucks below I prefer the top buck ( whitetail look ) to the bottom buck . Everyone has there own preference , actually any big buck will do no matter what it looks like .
fc6b6542.jpg

fc6b653c.jpg

muley -

the short g-1's and the nubs around the bases. By the time a whitetail gets this old the G-1's are normally quite a bit larger.

I would have to say an old muley. Nice buck. Thanks for sharing the pic. Muledeernut

Here is a pic looking straight down on the antler. Looks loke a whitetail beam.

fc39b405.jpg

Lowedog

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom