Mullen Fire how bad?

Danny_Ocean

So how bad is it? I called today and a lot of. Unknowns still. Said they were letting people on the west end go in today to see property.

How did área from pelton creek over to foxpark fair?

Used to like camping along the cricks to fish, wondering if it’s completely destroyed or not.

Destroyed, no but it will not look the same.
Aerial pics I've seen show a nice mosiac pattern to the burn but I'm betting some areas burned hot and will not recover very soon.
230 is open now.

Any chance you have access and can share the pics? I am really interested in how the fire went. I agree some areas will be really awesome and others may not recover in the next decade. From the little I have seen there are massive areas that were hammered and not much left, but those areas were full of blown down beetle kill, so hopefully they are opened up now.
Destroyed, no but it will not look the same.
Aerial pics I've seen show a nice mosiac pattern to the burn but I'm betting some areas burned hot and will not recover very soon.
230 is open now.

I just got back from Elk hunting. We took 4 bulls on opening day standing right next to the burn. After we tagged out my wife and I took a drive to see more of the fire. We drove from Riverside WY on hwy 230 to Wyocolo. The hwy's were used to control the fire. Most of what I saw was that they fired out from the hwy and hoped it would get sucked up by the main fire, however most of the firing burnt itself out before it got to the main fire. This left a ton of acres of unburned fuel within the fire perimeter. I parked on top of a burned mountain and had quite a view of the fire on the southern flank. In some spots the fire burned intense and consumed all the timber and in other spots the timber was fine and it only burned the ground vegetation. Next year there will be a ton of grass and the elk will love it. I only saw a couple of slop overs on my drive so they did a good job of keeping the fire in check. Very few smokes can be seen from the hwy. As of right now I doubt that they will let you go into those areas due to safety concerns. Your areas you mentioned are within the burn.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good burn except for the loss of private property.
They are doing the burn area evaluation right now.

Thanks guys, I want to take a ride up to see with my own eyes, but I don’t think they’ll let public in yet.

If I go, I’ll update

I just got back from Elk hunting. We took 4 bulls on opening day standing right next to the burn. After we tagged out my wife and I took a drive to see more of the fire. We drove from Riverside WY on hwy 230 to Wyocolo. The hwy's were used to control the fire. Most of what I saw was that they fired out from the hwy and hoped it would get sucked up by the main fire, however most of the firing burnt itself out before it got to the main fire. This left a ton of acres of unburned fuel within the fire perimeter. I parked on top of a burned mountain and had quite a view of the fire on the southern flank. In some spots the fire burned intense and consumed all the timber and in other spots the timber was fine and it only burned the ground vegetation. Next year there will be a ton of grass and the elk will love it. I only saw a couple of slop overs on my drive so they did a good job of keeping the fire in check. Very few smokes can be seen from the hwy. As of right now I doubt that they will let you go into those areas due to safety concerns. Your areas you mentioned are within the burn.
Sounds like you had a good hunt did you go fishing after?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom