Murderers Creek Hunt

Berdog

I am a returning hunter and my son drew a cow tag for the Murderers Creek area. I have not hunted that area since I was his age and my Dad fell sick and will not be able to show us his spots he usually goes and is probably not going to be able to hunt any longer due to his health. We will be hunting the 2nd season Nov. 21-24 due to my work restrictions. I really want him to be able to get his first animal this year especially since we were skunked with the deer tags... Anyone on this forum know where his best chances would be on the Murderers Creek Unit?

Cheers!

Have your dad mark his spots on a map for you then you will have them for ever. It would be a shame for an untimely passing to keep you from your family?s hot spot!

I'm assuming you are talking Murders creek in Oregon. If you haven't already you might want to post it under the Oregon forum for those that are local.

Flagtail Mtn is always a popular area. Depending on how the weather is the elk will be pretty spread out at that time. Its a tough hunt with low success so just go and have a good time, beautiful country! Oh and have a cougar tag in your pocket - plenty of them around that country.

Only issue with my dad marking the spots is that he is at the point of his life when the memory is not a great as it used to be. I tried this avenue, I took him out to our deer hunt and he was able to remember each road and side road but when I put a map in front of him he did not do so well...

Yep, that is one of the reasons I decided to try to get my son into hunting. Sitting around the campfire and talking to him listening to the history... Beats any video game out there.

Yeah you can repost in Oregon and you may get some other responses. I grew up in the east part of the unit, the fire in there a few years ago changed all the hotspots that I used to hit in the unit. The east is dominated by the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness making access pretty tough. If you are hunting the east end (east of John Day) I can give you a few places to start but it may be easier to hunt the west half for access and elk numbers.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom