Murders Creek Hunt, Oregon

We were super lucky and drew a tag this year for Murders Creek. Unfortunately due to both our work schedules we won't be able to do any scouting before our hunt. Does anyone have any areas you would recommend hunting? We are not looking for a monster deer or anything like that. Thank you for any help. :)

I've hunted the unit since I was a kid in the 60's. not to be one of those guys but if you'd seen it back then you'd cry now.

That said it's still a decent hunt by Oregon standards. as far as where to hunt there are small numbers of deer everywhere on the unit so there isn't any right or wrong place to hunt. the real question is what do you want to hunt in ? easier more open country ? big burns from a decade ago ? rough broken country ? steep brushy north slopes ? or road hunt like 90% of the hunters . you name it you can find it no problem.

Obviously some places are better than others but that will depend on weather, hunter pressure and a lot of other factors you won't know until you get there.

Togwotee pretty much nailed it - I don't have near the history he does in that unit but have been hunting it off and on since the late 1980's or so. From what I have seen it appears the deer are a bit better this year than they have been for a few - still a long ways to go to be great but anyone with a tag should have a fun hunt this year.
I also drew the Murderers Creek tag for deer this year and will be in my usual spot come opening day (y)

Thank you both for even replying. We hunted Silvies last year and fell in love with how beautiful it is. We had so much more time to scout. We even elk hunted there. We don't mind getting out and walking so any option is good. Not sure about the rough broken country that sounds a little scary. hahahaha. I know we are excited to explore that unit though. :) Good luck to you Oregonmuley :) if you are out and about we will be in a white Dodge truck.

I'll be in a silver 4Runner - I generally hunt the south end of the unit which most don't for deer. I'll also be in the Silvies this year with an antelope tag in my pocket so looking forward to that since I've not hunted that unit much and never for antelopes.

not a great picture but this deer was in Murders Creek a few years ago. He was just off the 16 road near logan valley

murders creek buck.jpg

I'll be in a silver 4Runner - I generally hunt the south end of the unit which most don't for deer. I'll also be in the Silvies this year with an antelope tag in my pocket so looking forward to that since I've not hunted that unit much and never for antelopes.
We hunted the Silvies last year for deer and elk...and I can't remember seeing any antelope. I will double check on that though.

Last year we did see a few camps on the border of Silvies and Murders Creek. Most of them had deer hanging.

I grew up in that unit, its a magnificent area! Let me know what type of hunting you're looking for (short hikes, backpacking, spot and stalk, etc.) and I can point you to some options in the eastern part of the unit.

Truth though, you should be willing to invest some scouting time in the area. This will be a dry year it seems so that will potentially change where you find deer. The fire through the west half of the Strawberry Mountains a few years ago changed things a lot and the deer are pretty mobile throughout that fire area. Factors like these mean you need real time information more than just info on places that deer used to be in previous years.

Sorry I can’t help with the murders creek area but oregonmuley there are good lopes in the unit been bow hunting there for the last 10 years and don’t forget about checking up high in the timber I see lots of them up there I have the 2nd season tag for antelope this year and will be there the whole season. What season did you draw? And good luck to everyone on there hunts

Sorry I can’t help with the murders creek area but oregonmuley there are good lopes in the unit been bow hunting there for the last 10 years and don’t forget about checking up high in the timber I see lots of them up there I have the 2nd season tag for antelope this year and will be there the whole season. What season did you draw? And good luck to everyone on there hunts
I also have a Silvies #2 tag so will be there 2nd season. I've had a number of people tell me the antelope aren't all out in the sage so should be interesting, looking forward to it since I got nothing in the Wyoming draw for antelope this year.

Thank you. :)

I grew up in that unit, its a magnificent area! Let me know what type of hunting you're looking for (short hikes, backpacking, spot and stalk, etc.) and I can point you to some options in the eastern part of the unit.

Truth though, you should be willing to invest some scouting time in the area. This will be a dry year it seems so that will potentially change where you find deer. The fire through the west half of the Strawberry Mountains a few years ago changed things a lot and the deer are pretty mobile throughout that fire area. Factors like these mean you need real time information more than just info on places that deer used to be in previous years.
Thank you so much. We are pretty much open to any type of hunting. We will put in the work. We would love to invest in some scouting and I know we should be able to make it over there a time or two, but we live in Roseburg and both work so finding the time is a little tough. Any help you are willing to offer is greatly appreciated.

The biggest thing is get off the road. I'm not being funny when I say 90% of the deer huntin in MC is by road hunters. it's pathetic.

It's dry this year and I'm seeing springs in the Ochoco's dry up that normally have water into the fall. same will be true in the Aldrich's though they had a little better winter. so while water isn't normally an issue it may be more so this year.

If you want to hunt easier terrain with water and good access look at Deer Creek and John young Meadows for example for a starting point. you can go north or east from there to higher country or south or west for more open country. you'll see plenty of hunters these are well known areas but they're well known for a reason. the most hunting pressure I've ever seen in the unit was on Canyon Mt in the wilderness area so go figure, it was a zoo but some nice bucks were taken. seems like most of the guys with any ambition end up in the Strawberries.

The biggest thing is get off the road. I'm not being funny when I say 90% of the deer huntin in MC is by road hunters. it's pathetic.

It's dry this year and I'm seeing springs in the Ochoco's dry up that normally have water into the fall. same will be true in the Aldrich's though they had a little better winter. so while water isn't normally an issue it may be more so this year.

If you want to hunt easier terrain with water and good access look at Deer Creek and John young Meadows for example for a starting point. you can go north or east from there to higher country or south or west for more open country. you'll see plenty of hunters these are well known areas but they're well known for a reason. the most hunting pressure I've ever seen in the unit was on Canyon Mt in the wilderness area so go figure, it was a zoo but some nice bucks were taken. seems like most of the guys with any ambition end up in the Strawberries.
Thank you so much for the information. :)

There are antelope in the silvies out in the open on the southwest side of the unit, they get pounded since they are out in the open. I have seen the best antelope bucks in the timber.

Rich

We drew Murderers Creek deer tags also. Planning on doing 2-3 day spike hunts into the Strawberries at various entry points. Staying the whole season. That and a Walla Walla Archery tag should keep me plenty busy this fall!

Expect to see plenty of hunters in the Strawberries.

The best bucks in the unit will be on the north slopes in the heavy cover west of the Strawberries it's pretty much always been that way. I spent years bumping them around and only managed to kill one of them but I got glimpses of some real toads. I'm not willing to work that hard anymore with the deer numbers these days but if you wanted to be by yourself and have a slim chance at a booner that's the place to go.

The lion population is out of control and unless that's addressed I'm afraid the deer numbers will never reach 25% of what they used to be . and with the road hunters whacking all the dinks the age of the bucks that are left isn't what it should be. it's sad.

not a great picture but this deer was in Murders Creek a few years ago. He was just off the 16 road near logan valley

View attachment 44332
We were camping probably around 2013, we were over on the north fork, we drove just before dark to Logan Valley to look for game, we spotted a buck like this also, right off the 16 road west of Big creek campground. We tried getting pics but it was just too dark. We went back the next evening and we had a repeat. He was about 26” wide and had some extra stuff, really nice buck.
as to this unit, I have only elk hunted it once, one guy in our camp had A large buck walk by him as he was on stand. This was off the 21 road down around Lemon creek.
we also drew 5 tags this year in Murderers creek, but I have a friend of a friend who is in the know. So I am not doing too much looking around. ?

If you going to hunt the wilderness get there early and reserve a spot. Expect up to 20 rigs per trailhead and half of those are overnighting it in the wilderness. Has become quite the zoo anymore.

True story. and after the burns there's someone with a 1000 yard rifle sitting on every bump before daylight.

Quick update to this thread. Not hardly a monster but certainly an interesting forky:) My little area was almost void of deer, and the few deer I did see- the does where all by themselves with no fawns in tow which isn't a good sign. Lots of cougar tracks on my favorite ridge. Anyway, got this little guy with some funky caribou like points.
FHgKJQ.jpg

2SSqxy.jpg

Must be some interesting genetics in the MC unit. Imagine what he would look like at 4-5 years old! I live in Central OR, our yard bucks also have interesting genes. Lots of trash, and a forky one year turns into a decent 4pt the next! Congratulations on a successful hunt! I'll consider myself lucky if I see anything like that in Fort Rock unit this year.

Very unique! I grew up in the Murderer’s Creek unit and there were a couple areas that I would regularly find weird sheds (double beams, acorn tips, clubs, etc) in both deer and elk. Possibly the genetics, but after finding them in similar regions for years in a row, it makes me think that minerals and nutrients may play a significant part.
Great job finding a buck, any buck is a trophy in some places in MC anymore.

I was just up in that area archery hunting elk! Congratulations on a cool
Unique buck

We were super lucky and drew a tag this year for Murders Creek. Unfortunately due to both our work schedules we won't be able to do any scouting before our hunt. Does anyone have any areas you would recommend hunting? We are not looking for a monster deer or anything like that. Thank you for any help. :)
Hey there! How did the hunt go? Any pics or stories? Please share!

In the 60's through the 80's anyone who could hold a gun could kill a 4 point in Murderer's creek and tags were over the counter. there were A LOT more hunters than there are today back then. doe seasons too. now you can hunt all elk season and not see a 4 point buck.

Until Oregon hunters demand better this is what we're going to get. ODFW manages game on a strictly financial basis and we're all for it so it seems.

Back
Top Bottom