Muskox drawn

COtransplant

Also posted in the Alaska forum...
Drew DX001 tag. I'm looking for any helpful hints, ideas, experiences from you good folks. Obviously never done this, so I'm a rank rookie. Is it illogical to attempt it unguided?
I'm sure someone on here has done it, or been there. Please throw out any helpful ideas or experiences

Pretty sparse feedback on this subject! Your point was well taken and the biologist was already on my calling list.
There are 3 (recognized by ADFG) transporters and 1 guide on the island. The transporters were all very forward and helpful. The lone guide was a prick. Because I asked for a contract prior to sending him a $3000 cashiers check in his personal name he got offended and ?if you won't cooperate I'll write you off my list? and ?all my other hunters do it?
Sounded to me like a great way to lose 3k! Happy birthday to him...I'd have had no recourse and no details about what was to be provided for my fee.
So I am going to do it alone and unguided. Hire a flying service out of Bethel to drop me. Any recommendations outside Papa Bear and Renfro who I've already contacted with info requests?

Muskox hunt.....WoW....that is awesome.
I have nothing to add but I wish you best of luck !!! Certainly a hunt to remember...
I'm sure this is a hunt I will never get to experience....

It could be that only a select few have ever hunted those creatures that attend MM!

37205hornkiller.jpg

According to the TV shows: Hope on snowmobile. Chase down the Herd. Hope off snowmobile and shoot.

Crazy that the outfitter didn't have a standard contract to use. Maybe he stopped using them because it made it harder to rip people off.

Awesome that you drew. Sorry I don't have any actual experience or knowledge for Muskox.

Regarding the contract part in that part of the state a lot of stuff is still done verbally. It's really taking a step back in time. I've found the locals to be great to deal with. I know who you are talking about and he's as honest as they come. A lot of them have limited internet availability too btw. You?re not going to find many houses over there with a computer.

In today?s world of contracts and lawyers it's kind of as nice to still have areas like this.

I didn't put in for ox this year. Really wishing now I did.

Here's some advice, if you find bulls like these...shoot them.

My buddy and I with our muskox taken in Alaska near Shishmaref, both B&C bulls.

muskox%20150.JPG

Another piece of advice, keep every ounce of meat, its awesome.

https://photos.imageevent.com/buzzandpat/alaskapics/websize/muskox%20109.JPG[/iimg]

The adventure and best part of the hunt for me was exploring the area and learning about the native Inupiaq people that live there. Fascinating culture to say the least.

I would get on some of the Alaska hunting pages on facebook. The words you want to hear you prolly wont get. If you want to do it unguided its not that you cant but by paying the locals you have the better opportunity that your going to find what your looking for. There is only a few that will help you when you arrive and if you pay for their services you can guarantee that your gear will actually be in one piece and not lost. From what I have heard from friends is the cost will be anywhere from 3-5k$ Good luck to you

I will get back on this post by end of next week to share what I came up with. Thanks to all who provided true input...I appreciate it. Been many phone calls and a lot of hours spent in this pursuit, but to be honest it's just another part of my hunting season!
Its a whole different world than eastern Colorado!

I'm guesiing Buzz's scored real close to 108-6/8....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

I don't recall what the score was, Homers number sounds about right.

IIRC, I think my buddies bull is about 1 inch net over the minimum. Its his 3rd bull, drew 2 tags in your area and the one we drew on a party application.

>I don't recall what the score
>was, Homers number sounds about
>right.
>
>IIRC, I think my buddies bull
>is about 1 inch net
>over the minimum. Its his
>3rd bull, drew 2 tags
>in your area and the
>one we drew on a
>party application.

lol Buzz....you don't really believe I guessed that close do you...I trophy searched it...THAT is the score....lol

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom