Mute Turkeys

littlebighorn

Long Time Member
So is anyone getting Utah turkeys to talk right now?
We went out for two days mid week to avoid pressure. We went hard all day--early and late (southern unit) trying to strike up a gobble and we didn't get a single response.
Are we that bad, or is everyone having a struggle?

There are quite a few factors for silent turkeys. Quiet birds obviously make it impossible to find them where there are lots of dense trees and/or turkey densities are low.

Turkeys are like that every day where I hunt them here in Colo. There are so many coyotes, bears, bobcats, and lions around that if they make noise they are eaten!

I've had this same quiet scenario elsewhere where there is lots of hunting pressure. Nasty weather and wind can silence birds quicker than snot! Poor calling can also silence birds....they often know something isn't right. I tend to stay on the silent side with calling rather than being overly aggressive and over-calling.

Anytime turkeys feel on edge they are quiet. When relaxed and feisty they can be super noisy. If you've been around large flocks of winter birds they can be super loud and almost obnoxious!

Last edited:
They Were Going Nuts a couple Weeks ago!(Warmed up Slightly!)

But Cool Weather has set back in & they haven't been as active around here as of lately!

You need to be out there at first light and before flydown. The urge to breed is strong, even the most wariest Gobblers will almost always sound off one time while still on the limb. He knows any hens in the area will hear it and so will you. Good luck!

They are still talking here in the northeastern part of the state but I've noticed alot of hens are starting to break off and start nesting so just hang in there those gobblers are going to be on the move looking for fresh hens

You need to be out there at first light and before flydown. The urge to breed is strong, even the most wariest Gobblers will almost always sound off one time while still on the limb. He knows any hens in the area will hear it and so will you. Good luck!
We were there before first light with no sound. We also went out after dark to see if we could hear a gobble, but no sound.
:cry:

Saw 2 Toms and 2 Jakes with 7 hens today in Northern Utah, none of which were gobbling or even acting like it is breeding season.

We were there before first light with no sound. We also went out after dark to see if we could hear a gobble, but no sound.
:cry:
Ouch! Must be on a lock down order.
Perhaps they were just not in your area that day. Turkeys are like Gold, they're where you find them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom