Muzz/archery coinside in Wa?

R

RiverPig

Hey you muzzy's that hunt in Washington, was wondering if you have read anything on the proposed idea of running the early archery season with the muzzle season co-currantly? I guess they would start the season Oct. 1 thru the start of modern rifle. We would spit up the G.M.U's I guess ie; Archers in say the 352 and Muzzle in the 346 an an example.

My question to you is what you think of this idea?

This is only one idea of a few that they have in changing the early archery season in Wash. proposed in the future. If you want to see more, go to the Game Dept. site and go to "hunting" then to the "season setting for 2003-2005"

RiverPig, I think it's a great idea and I voted for it on the WDFW website survey. I've been hunting with a bow for 2 years and I would much rather hunt elk in October than September. September is too hot and usually most private timberland is closed due to fire danger. So archery hunters end up being concentrated on state land and National Forest. Muzzleloaders will benefit also because I think they will end up with a few more units.

I agree Bob,

I would welcome it too for the reasons you stated. Also it might chase the Elk around to our units from ones that are closed. Like, we hunt the 352 and 356. The 346 just across the 410 hwy. is closed, permit only. We go over there occasionally to look for Mulies and see tons of Elk of course!! If muzzy's had that unit I think that would help stir things up a bit, ya know. We archerers have it tough here in Wash. no peak rut, and they cram us into just a few units during the biggest holiday for campers and 4x4 clubs!! If I'm not mistaken the would run it from Oct. 1 thru the opener of rifle. Rifle opened on the 26 of Oct. that would mean a longer season right? bout time!!!! Maybe our success rate would go from 8% to a whopping 12%

I don't think they will give 346 to the muzzleloaders, not for the early season. Maybe so, but that would eliminate the modern firearm permit hunt in that unit, which starts October 1st. I suppose they could move the rifle permit into September, maybe the last week. That would probably work. I wouldn't say they cram archery hunters into just a few units, I mean it isn't due to a lack of units being open, it's due to the majority of private land being closed because of fire danger. Which is B.S. anyway because how is a guy going to start a fire by walking around in the woods with a bow? I had the Toutle permit this last year and couldn't even hunt it because Weyerhaeuser had the entire unit closed to public entry...they wouldn't even let you park at a gate and walk in!

i'm not up on archery seasons but in the early oct. season we only get cowichie and the bumping units. i would like to see a little mixing up the units we never get to hunt in the nile unless you get a big bull tag. we used to have clemans mt. but that turned into permit only for us anyway. maybe do something like put archers in an area were the elk havent been all stirred up and vice versa. i dont know any paticulars on archer success in the early season but i do know the muzzleloaders have'nt been breaking any records. the ahtanum is starting to look like bethel ridge on opening day of rifle season.i'm all for it and it could easly work we'll just have to see if the powers that be will let it work.

Most likely muzzleloaders will end up with a few more units and archers with less. But that's just a guess. Archery hunters outnumber muzzleloaders by quite a bit and that's why they have more units. If you look at the game harvest report, muzzleloaders have the highest success rates for elk overall, even better than rifle hunters.

Bobby baybay???

It was just an example off the top of my little pea brain! I have absolutly know idea what units they have in mind. For that matter nor do they!

I DO think they cram us in though. The rifle hunters get the whole 300 series in that area. I know what your going to say, "Ya, but there are a whole lot more smokepole hunters than stick flingers!" Your right, but my point is this: You have X amount of archers in the state. Thier sucess rate is 8-12% overall. I don't think with such low rates that opening up a greater number of units is going to change that number. That way a Nimrod like me could actually hunt less pressured animals. Is that asking for much?...............Probably if you are a game biologist! Oh well just wishful thinking out loud.

Logger,

It would definitly be for the bowhunters advantage, but the Muzzy's would ride on our band wagon! The issue is trying to fix the early archery season being held during the Labor Day holiday.

By the way, that Clemen Mt. is permit for everyone now. Me and my partner drew it for "any deer" last Nov. With the mild winter,no snow, it was a meat hunt! Man she was delicious.

Good night and talk to you guys later. I really like talking to my fellow Washingtonians about issues here in our state here on M/M.........Take care. RiverPig

I'm waiting in anticipation to see what they do with the early archery season. I emailed them my opinion and it sounds from the posts here that I'm on the same page as the rest of you archers. The openers a joke on labor day weekend and its too dry(even in the rainforest!!) and no rut action. The last few years on the olympic peninsula the smokepolers have slayed them as the rut is full blown for them. Part of elk hunting with a bow is hearing them bulls bugle and it just doesn't happen much the first two weeks of sept. here anyways. I just wish wdfw would let us now so we could plan ahead. I hate how you put in for special permits and don't get results until the first of August, sooner or later I'll get a margaret tag and only have three weekends to scout! Anyways glad to hear that the changes might be happening for the best. nwhunter

Hey RiverPig,
I realize you were just using that as an example. I was just kind of thinking out loud, not trying to say you were wrong or anything like that. I would agree that muzzleloaders are crammed into just a few units. Archers have lots of open units. I guess the reason for that is muzzleloading has just recently become popular. I tried elk hunting for a few years with a muzzleloader but found the good areas that had decent road access were very crowded. So I gave up on it and that was about 12 years ago. I think no matter what you hunt with in this state, you will have lots of company in the woods when elk hunting, because elk are generally concentrated in certain areas within each GMU, and these hotspots are well known. Well that's about all I have to say for now.

P.S. I emailed the WDFW about the fact that I was unable to hunt the Toutle unit due to the Weyerhaeuser closure...got a response back that most likely they would restore my bonus points but that wouldn't be determined until all the harvest statistics were done. I'm not sure why that has anything to do with it but that's what they said. If I get my points back I will have 6 points for this year's draw :)

N.W.hunter,

I feel your pain bro maybe something will change. I just called the game dept. and they said they will probably have at least one more meeting,keep your ears open and let us know if you find out before me.

On the subject of scouting, do it as though you going to get the draw,that way when you draw it you will know the area and animals like home. Anyway that's our plan for the area that me partner are putting in for, in four or five years from now we'll knock'em dead!!(no points, start'in fresh again) Drew "Any bull" in the 356,352 last year and took a cow last day!

BoB D.,

Was wondering about that when you told us! Glad to hear that they will give them back, your sure to draw! With this mild winter again though I would'nt be surprised for another closure though. Oh well, good luck buddy..................RiverPig

I say split the GMU's and let each group have a good hunt that catches the tail end of the rut. This would reduce pressure on the elk in September too.

Thought I'd let you washington guys now about another hunting forum you can check out. Its on piscatorial pursuits which is a sweet fishing web site by a local guide here and it also has a hunt forum. Its not used a lot but is getting better has a little talk about this topic also. Check it out at piscatorialpursuits.com.

Northwesthunter,

Thanks for the site info.! looks like the oct. idea is well liked from what I hear and see.

Anybody hear of some new progress on this issue keep us posted, I'll do the same.

I don't care so much what we get as long as it is later in the month, Closer to the Rut. I wonder why since the Archery % is so low why we don't have special draws for Rut. Since we have to be the closest to get a clean kill. I'm not sure if I like the idea of perhaps giving up my Unit for Mussie's I spend a lot of time scouting. Last year Mussies should of had a great season, As the woods here were closed up tighter than you know what and the day before mussie season they open. Hell of a note it was drier than dry and we couldn't fling our arrows but they could shoot their fire. Not sure if we could do some talking with the timber companies to see why this is happening what Weyco has against Archery. Anyone know the head of Weyerhauser for Western Wa? I would like to talk to the person if possible. I don't know how the rest of you feel, but I don't see the garbage in the woods during Archery and Mussie season but after rifle season holy cow there was garbage everywhere. Camp sites just left it was a real mess. I would think that Weyco would not like that! Any idea's of meeting the man would be great!

That's exactly what I thought...the muzzleloaders should have done great this year, with Weyerhaeuser opening up their lands just before their season started. It was ridiculous that they wouldn't even let archery hunters walk in to hunt. How is an arrow shot out of a bow going to start a fire?

I really want to find out who to talk with at Weyerhauser it seems he really doesn't like Archery. I know where we hunt the Mussies did really good. I heard numbers like 29 Bulls taken 5 out of one group. If you know anyone who knows the main man at Weyo I'll keep trying until he tells me eyeball to eyeball why he thinks I shouldn't be allowed to hunt on their land. Not like he owns it. I'm wondering have you seen this years numbers are they posted yet. Geuss I better go to the WFW site.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom