muzzle loader buck hunt utah monroe area

My dad has hunted the crap out of that unit and has kill probably 10 bucks off of it and I kill my first ever deer there but that was probably 8 years ago so this has probably changed, there is a lot of hunters there and I think you best bet is either sitting and waiting for other hunters to push the deer toward you or glass up deer and hike your tail off to get to them, or you can be a stereotypical road hunter which does work if your willing to shoot a fork n horn, honestly it’s kinda a tuff hunt and you’ll be hard pressed to find a mature deer, but I have seen trail cam pics of big deer in the low country back when scout to hunt did the trail cam stuff

It’s a week and a half away from the opener and you haven’t even scouted yet?
Hey Tikka, don't be a dbag and judge somebody for asking a question. This is the problem with these forums nowadays, everybody likes to criticize for not having an all-out mentality when it comes to hunting. You don't know his situation, maybe he's been busy with life and hasn't been able to get out and do much scouting. I love to hunt but I am very limited with how much time I can scout so my preparation may be different than yours which there is nothing wrong with reaching out and seeing if some fellow hunters can give him some info. It's up to him to take that info and put it to use. I imagine most people don't even do so anyways.

Hey Tikka, don't be a dbag and judge somebody for asking a question. This is the problem with these forums nowadays, everybody likes to criticize for not having an all-out mentality when it comes to hunting. You don't know his situation, maybe he's been busy with life and hasn't been able to get out and do much scouting. I love to hunt but I am very limited with how much time I can scout so my preparation may be different than yours which there is nothing wrong with reaching out and seeing if some fellow hunters can give him some info. It's up to him to take that info and put it to use. I imagine most people don't even do so anyways.
It's not hard to do simple research like google earth, onX , call the biologist ect. Do the simple stuff first then maybe come on here last lol

It's not hard to do simple research like google earth, onX , call the biologist ect. Do the simple stuff first then maybe come on here last lol
True, that is not that hard but once again that takes some time and maybe he's already done that. We don't know. All he is doing is asking a few questions based on current situations from people who may have been down there in the last few days or week. No harm in that I say.

again you are saying scouting takes time and what i said takes time doing online research lol good night dose this guy want a hand feed 200" while he's down there ? if he's concerned about fire situation down there he can google that to. Or wait that takes time also ?

Not a lot of places you can get away from roads in that unit. I like the country between Manning Meadows and Upper Box Creek as you have to walk it.
I always see deer on Forshea Mountain that time of year too.
Best of luck, it is a beautiful place.
Stop by Pine Creek Cabins Resort and show us your buck!

I was there a couple weeks ago scouting for the Muzzleloader hunt. I was shocked at what I saw and didn’t see. I had hunted there in 2018 and didn’t make down at all last year. From Box Creek south to Landon they went in and burned just about every stand of pines there was. Then from the road up from Greenwich to Manning they are logging all the pine pockets with big machines and piling it up to burn later. I saw few deer and few elk in areas we usually see quite a bit. Talked with the fish and game guy I saw down there and he said deer numbers were way down and they had cut about 1200 deer tags the last few years. This was due to poor fawn requirement the last few years. They burned all the pines on Big Table also. Box Creek was barely a puddle. I might try the North End Cove Mountain area but didn’t make it down there to look around. They are removing a lot of the pines to improve the Quaken Aspen. I ever thought Monroe lacked for quakies but I must have been mistaken. Good side every doe we saw had twin fawns so hopefully in a few years there will be more deer around.

Thanks to those who gave a little advice,yes i`ve talked to the fish and game guys and plan on arriving 2 days early not looking for a booner just a 3 year old or better ,i ve eaten tag soup for the last 4 years passing on dinks < i m just excited about the hunt and like to talk to the local smoke pole crowd , living in ca till i retire and then back to grand junction my home town,i believe utah is my favorite state to hunt in mountian man at heart.c ya on the hill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom