MuzzleLoader Bullet for Bull Elk

mailman

After hunting for many years still trying to find the right combinations (ie powder,bullet, primer) for my Thompson Omega. I've dialed it in to 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. I'm not getting the penetration to bring down a bull elk with one shot.
I was thinking about trying the BOR Lock from federal. Anybody else tried them ?. I'm using triple 7 primers with 50gr powder X 3 and a TC bullet.

250 grain TC Shockwave or Hornady (Hornady manufactures the Shockwaves)
100 grains of 777
777 Magnum primer

In 2013 by buddy killed a 320 bull with one shot from 125 quartering away, a month and a half later my fianc? killed a cow elk at 130 with one shot broadside, and I filled my tag was filled with one shot from 160 broadside. The two broadside shots were complete pass throughs.

I'm using Hornaday 300 SST with my CVA Optima, thinking about switching to Barnes TMZ with two 50 grain pellets of pyrodix powder, better expansion and penetration.

I'm shooting 300gr Thors out of my CVA, but I've heard Thompsons don't like conicals. I'd give the Barnes tmz 290's a try, same bullet but a sabot. Mine is real accurate with the Thors and I've heard real good things about barnes down range performance on elk. I hope to test it out in unit 17 this year!

Have made two quick one shot kills on two mature bull elk with the Barnes tmz 285 grain. Great penetration and expansion. 150 grains of 777. 126 yards and 70 yards. Think 290 grain replaced the 285 perhaps. Barnes bullets are totally awesome.

"My only regret in life is setting my goals too low"

Ive killed about five one shot kills,on bulls with my T/C pro hunter endeavor.I shoot 120 grains of blackhorn 209(max load)250 grain bonded shockwave sabots and CCI Magnum caps,and can hit a pie plate 3 out of 4 times at three hundred yards.I'd go to blackhorn 209 over any pelleted powder(ie blackhorn 209)and a good bonded bullet.

Barnes is the way to go. Whatever you do avoid the Powerbelt bullets for elk. Absolute P.O.S. bullet for hunting elk. Ive seen it first hand. That bullet blows to pieces and cannot penetrate a wet card board box.

Good Luck!

Barnes bullets (I like the boat tail TMZ 250 gr) and whatever you do never shoot a Powerbelt at anything you want to hit or kill. I use 150 grains of powder even on deer here in Iowa.

So has anyone tried the BOR Lock bullets from Federal. I've read a little bit about them but there is not a lot of data. I was thinking about picking some up this weekend. After the input here it seems that Barnes TMZ are the way to go. Getting excited about Unit 15 bull hunt in October.

LAST EDITED ON May-05-15 AT 01:48PM (MST)[p]On the TMZ's ..... A tip...they are a pain to load in some mz's.
I had been using them for years,but bent my ramrod many times..lol.
That's after using a starter,hah.
I switched to the TEZ's as they don't take 3 men and a boy to shove down my barrel.
Also got a Spin-Jag. Great tool! Now I have to order one of their super replacement rods.

I have a TC omega. I used to shoot 250 grain tc shock waves and 100 grains pyrodex. They grouped very good. I shoot a deer twice right behind the shoulder and he still would not go down. My cousin used it last year on elk but I changed to 290 grain Barnes TEZ he dropped his bull with one shot at about 120 yards he went like 20 yards before going down. Plan on using same load this year for my elk hunt.

Muliefanatic

Hank

Try using the harvester sabots. They work way better and accuracy is better in my rifle with them. They will mail you a sample pack. Tell them what bullet your using. For the 290tmz I use their yellow sabot.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom