Muzzleloader Ibex

ortegageno

Calling all muzzle guru's, I borrowed a CVA accura from a buddy for my Ibex hunt and he shoots 338 platinums with 150 grain of Bighorn powder for elk.. It's shoots great at 100 yards open sight. I bought some 270 grain bullets to try and get a flatter and faster trajectory. With the wind being crazy down there some days is it wise to go to a less grain bullet or should I just stick with the 338s. My target is gonna be small so I would like to think a lighter bullet won't drop as much. Any advise is much appreciated. Getting pumped for next month.

Bighorn? You probably mean Blackhorn 209? 120 gr by volume is the max charge in an Accura. Yeah, I’d ditch the 338 Powerbelts. Notoriously poor terminal performance. What are the 270 gr bullets? Powerbelts or Federal Trophy Coppers? Would be an awesome hunt! I’m jealous!

Yes Blackhorn 209, I told him about 120 max and was afraid I was gonna blow the gun up. He says he been shooting that combo for 10 years. I have the 270 grain platinum also. Guess I'll ditch those. Also bought to try out the Hornady sst 250 grain. I better get out there and try 250 grain bullets with 120 grain blackhorn and go from there.

Being open sight I was just looking for the flattest round /Powder combo after I read a bunch of Negative reviews on those Powerbelt platinums. They seem to just blast threw without any expansion and very little blood lose. The last thing I wanna be doing up on the rock is tracking a wounded Ibex with little blood lose. Gonna go look and see if I find Barnes spit tmz and give it a shot. Thanks everyone for the info, much appreciated

I shoot the Barnes Spitfire TMZ and spent a ton of time dialing in my setup with BH-209. I found that there is not much of a ballistic drop difference between the 250 gr and 290 gr when using 100 gr by volume of BH-209. I cannot say what the difference is at 120 or 150 gr by volume. I personally wouldn’t shoot anything above 120 gr out of my TC Omega muzzy.

I used 100 gr by volume of BH-209 because it got me a muzzle velocity of 2000 fps +/- 50 fps regardless of which of the bullet weights I used and since my son is small framed, I wanted a load that he could handle without flinching. I went all out and verified using a chronograph to see how consistent my loading, cleaning, and shooting setup was. Once I got a consistent muzzle velocity, I dialed in my scope with both loads (this was back in 2020) and found I didn’t have to adjust my aim point for the bullet.

That year, I had a muzzy deer hunt right before my son’s muzzy elk hunt. I used 100 gr by volume BH-209 with the 250 TMZ for deer and he used the 290 TMZ with 100 gr by volume BH-209. We used the same muzzleloader and were both successful. I took my deer at 45 yards and he shot his elk at 93 yards.

I’ve attached the ballistic table for both bullet weights so you can see what I was after. That load got me 2.5 inches high at 100 yards and zeroed at 150 so I could pretty much hold the crosshairs dead on out to 150 without thinking about it. My max range would have been 200 yards just due to my ability but I’ve been lucky to get closer than that. Between my son and I, we’ve taken 3 bulls and a mule deer between 2020 and 2023 at 45, 93, 86, and 64 yards.

This year, I had to dial in with open sights for my bull hunt. I kept the same load and adjusted my rear sight to get me at 2-3 inches high at 100 yards. Once I was dialed in at 100, I held about 8 inches high and hit the 200 yard gong, which was plenty confirmation for me.

Good luck!

Barnes_TMZ_250_vs_290.jpg

I hunt with a muzzle loader a lot here (and other locations) and let several people shoot deer using my muzzle loader (we shoot a lot of does). I also have hunted with many people using a wide variety of loads and bullets. I won't even let anyone hunt with us using Powerbelts - they are awful. I agree with the others that the Barnes Spitfire TMZ 250 grain is a great choice. It is all I have shot for many years now. 150 grains of Blackhorn 209 is way too much and completely unnecessary. 100 grain would be my recommendation. I am very confident out to 150 yards (with a scope). I can hit paper well at 200 yards but have not taken an animal at that distance.

i also use blackhorn 209 with Barnes spitfire. Pretty awesome load in my opinion.

Be careful tho. 120 grains by weight is much different then by volume. Could be very dangerous if not measured properly. Theres alot of load charts available online for measuring both by weight and volume. My preference is by weight

Calling all muzzle guru's, I borrowed a CVA accura from a buddy for my Ibex hunt and he shoots 338 platinums with 150 grain of Bighorn powder for elk.. It's shoots great at 100 yards open sight. I bought some 270 grain bullets to try and get a flatter and faster trajectory. With the wind being crazy down there some days is it wise to go to a less grain bullet or should I just stick with the 338s. My target is gonna be small so I would like to think a lighter bullet won't drop as much. Any advise is much appreciated. Getting pumped for next month.
I would recheck what he told you. That is a lot of powder for a 338 grain bullet.

Although I’m not a fan of power belts I would stick with “what shoots great at 100 yards”. Not really sure how much you would pick up shooting open sights. Guess that depends on your eyes.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom