Muzzleloader iron site tips

Pete

Well sounds like the scope ban on muzzle loaders passed…
Now I need to get my Remington UML set up with iron sites.
Anybody have any experience doing this or recommendations on specific brands of iron sites?
My initial research is pushing me towards a rear peep and fine crosshairs in a tube in the front…

Anybody have any experience doing this or recommendations on specific brands of iron sites?
My initial research is pushing me towards a rear peep and fine crosshairs in a tube in the front…
True Glow ??‍♂️

Thanks roadrunner, that looks like a nice site picture, i’ll look into those.
True Glow’s are great on shotguns and pistols, but at 100+yards I’m worried a big ol bright dot will just obscure your target…

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I’ve got a nice Leupold ML BDC scope for sale now, lol.

if you hunt woods or in limited light situations, it sucks, but for accuracy and longer range in better light, the peep, front crosshair can't be beat.

IMG_6691(1).jpg

Alright, thanks for all the input, seems like I’ll settle on the Williams. They even have a model specific for the Rem 700 UML, so that’ll should make install easier.
Probably wait for the proclamation to come out officially in January, but sounds like the ban did pass.

Thanks roadrunner, that looks like a nice site picture, i’ll look into those.
True Glow’s are great on shotguns and pistols, but at 100+yards I’m worried a big ol bright dot will just obscure your target…

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I’ve got a nice Leupold ML BDC scope for sale now, lol.
? I was messing around

I called CVA and ordered a set of fiber optic open sites just in case ??FYI, they are running short on inventory for certain models of their muzzleloaders. I too have a Leupold muzzleloader scope that might be for sale.?

I bought a Knight ultralight for CO and it will work for NM now. Sure liked the fact it was so much lighter. Just a thought. I like the gun, but, Knight customer service was horrible and initially I got a bad barrel on a brand new gun. I had to pay to ship it back to them never reimbursed. Wasted hours with that barrel and lots of lead and powder. They wouldn't even offer to reimburse shipping.

That sucks about Knight’s customer service. My Remington has no customer service now since they went under. What used to be a $40 breech plug is now impossible to find.
Ended up going with Arrowhead rifles in Arizona for an aftermarket plug and primer system.
Those guys are great to deal with, and an actual human answers the phone and talks you through installation etc…

FYI if anyone has a Remington UML check ur casings for signs of gas cutting on the breech plug. Mine was cut after only about 100 shots fired.

I bought a CVA Paramount ML last year and topped it with some nice Vortex glass. I didn't get drawn for any ML hunts this year, but will keep it as is for hunting other states. I guess I will buy a CVA Paramount Pro Colorado...anyone know what type of iron sights that rifle comes with?

Well, I sold my Leupold ML scope in the classified forum here on MM and met a great guy from Washington in the process. If anyone is thinking about selling their scopes I would recommend doing it sooner than later. As soon as the new proclamation drops I think the market will be flooded with ML scopes…. Just my2 cents.

I bought a CVA Paramount ML last year and topped it with some nice Vortex glass. I didn't get drawn for any ML hunts this year, but will keep it as is for hunting other states. I guess I will buy a CVA Paramount Pro Colorado...anyone know what type of iron sights that rifle comes with?
They come with the Williams if I remember correctly.

That sucks about Knight’s customer service. My Remington has no customer service now since they went under. What used to be a $40 breech plug is now impossible to find.
Ended up going with Arrowhead rifles in Arizona for an aftermarket plug and primer system.
Those guys are great to deal with, and an actual human answers the phone and talks you through installation etc…

FYI if anyone has a Remington UML check ur casings for signs of gas cutting on the breech plug. Mine was cut after only about 100 shots fired.
Was that with BH209?

100% agree, works much like that of a peep sight on a bow in relation to the from sight housing. extremely accurate. Wilson Peep sights are really good.

I purchased a Williams for my father in law this Christmas after reading y’all’s recommendations. I will say that the sight picture is more precise out past 100yds. However, my father wears glasses and can’t find his foresight picture with the Williams (especially in low light). Just figured I’d share for those with vision issues.

On the positive side I now have an awesome site for my ML ?. Ended up keeping the tru glow for his.

For what it is worth, I set up my Traditions muzzy with a rear peep and post front sight for Colorado. With a little practice I could make 200 shots hit where I wanted. I have to wear bifocals and the crosshair front sight just did not work for me in most situations. I sure do miss my Leopold muzzy scope!

I'm setting up one ML for each ( scope / no scope) my Paramount is a tack driver with a scope, working on my options for NM/ Colorado/Nevada no scope gun. Fortunately im in Texas now chasing whitetail where my Paramount is legal. Having a blast waiting for a bruiser to surface.

Yes BH209, hopefully that’s not the X factor. I’m hoping the aftermarket breech plug design holds up better
Yeah the Remington Ultimate is not designed for BH209. Not sure if Remington actually came out and said it but that’s the old Johnston Ultimate muzzleloader design and he will say up and down to never use them with BH209. The modified shell case doesn’t seal well enough and it’ll cut back around it and wreck it after 50-75 shots. Arrowhead will fix it and make it usable

I put a set of national Match AR sights on my TC Encore.... they are a bit high but are adjustable for elevation.

I've yet to shoot them but back in the day we made hits on targets to 300 yds with our open sight M16A2's :)

I like an old school adjustable receiver sight. A Lyman 48 or Redfield 70 are the best, A Williams foolproof with target knobs is OK. The current aluminum Lyman 57 is sort of junk. You will have to be a bit handy to machine/file to get it to fit your gun and drill and tap the gun. They are 1/4 (at standard sight spacing) minute click repeatable click adjustable. Dial elevation just like scopes....

For the front sight, Skinner makes the best angled flat blade that sort of duplicates the old Redfield Sourdough. They are way better than the target type sights for hunting. You can pick them up with old eyes and in bad light. They are fine enough for shooting at realistic hunting range.

I like an old school adjustable receiver sight. A Lyman 48 or Redfield 70 are the best, A Williams foolproof with target knobs is OK. The current aluminum Lyman 57 is sort of junk. You will have to be a bit handy to machine/file to get it to fit your gun and drill and tap the gun. They are 1/4 (at standard sight spacing) minute click repeatable click adjustable. Dial elevation just like scopes....

For the front sight, Skinner makes the best angled flat blade that sort of duplicates the old Redfield Sourdough. They are way better than the target type sights for hunting. You can pick them up with old eyes and in bad light. They are fine enough for shooting at realistic hunting range.

Sounds like you have some experience with open sights. I have a giant void from BB guns when I was a kid till a few years ago.
What are your thoughts on the fiber optic sites that come with most ML out of the box.
Mostly in consideration of "old" eyes, and being able to focus on front site and animal. The Skinner leaf sites sound like possibly and upgrade to my out of the box fiber optics.

Thanks

I have never hunted with a scope, only open sights for over 35 years. But I am 65 and now see 2 front sights! I dont like the stock sights, esp the rear V sight.

I prefer a rear peep sight and a front fiberoptic sight, the smaller the front bead the better.

My current set up:

1X reading glasses: allows me to see clearly only one front sight. Target is slightly blurry but clear enough to aim precisely

Williams rear peep with a twilight insert (larger hole than stock)

Small front fiberoptic bead

I use the 6 O’Clock hold. The very top of the front sight is placed at 6 O’clock on the target, instead of covering the bullseye. This allows for aiming at a fine point rather than covering up the aiming point which = more precise. I can consistently shoot 2.5-3” at 100 yards with this set up

If I were buying something new, it would be the Williams fiberoptic globe sight.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have some experience with open sights. I have a giant void from BB guns when I was a kid till a few years ago.
What are your thoughts on the fiber optic sites that come with most ML out of the box.
Mostly in consideration of "old" eyes, and being able to focus on front site and animal. The Skinner leaf sites sound like possibly and upgrade to my out of the box fiber optics.

Thanks
I am alot like this as well...

Since I had to buy new iron sights for my muzzleloader my Vortex 4-12-49 BDC is now on the market. Any takers hit me up. The scope is like new.

As posted above THE best option
As long as guys can hit a trashcan lid at 400, it's perfect! LOL.

Seriously, I think these sites can really make a difference. I was worried there'd be lots of wounded elk due to their decision to make scopes illegal. I still think it is foolish but what do I know.

Gunwerks makes a dialable peep and iron sight system too.

Here's the gunwerks version. It's spendy but likely to get the most out of an ELR ML. You still lose the first and last light capabilities of a scope and I'm not sure how my old eyes would do with this site.

screenshot_20230310_061717_chrome-jpg.jpg

Anybody else load up on muzzleloader hunts in the draw this year due to this change? I picked five. Don't know if it will deter some folks, but I haven't drawn any NM tag since 2011 so worth a shot.

Anybody else load up on muzzleloader hunts in the draw this year due to this change? I picked five. Don't know if it will deter some folks, but I haven't drawn any NM tag since 2011 so worth a shot.
I did. But I usually mostly apply for muzzy hunts. I doubt the odds will go down much this year.

One of mine is MZ.

Thread crapping here...I would love to find a new front site or new peep system for my TC omega X7. This is the gun I'm teaching my son to shoot. The fiber optic was always too chunky for my accuracy needs but has cracked/fallen out and is lost.

yes, 2/3 of my choices were muzzy, archery was the other. Good luck in the draw!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom