muzzleloader only hunting seasons in wyoming

• Thread starter muleyhunterfromhell
  • Start date
M

muleyhunterfromhell

I was just trying to get the general concensus of how the wyoming residents felt about trying to get some muzzleloader only hunting going in this state. Most all other western states have a muzzleloader season and I feel It would be a good thing. If nothing else it might make for fewer hunters hunting the general season rifle hunt. Please just let me know what you all think about it. And we might be able to get the ball rolling on this. I have connections. Thank You.

I have been begging G&F for muzzleloader seasons for years. I hope you have a LOT of pull because I do not see this happening for years in Wymoing.

While you are at it, please try to exert some influence for more quality deer management. By that, I mean limited quota areas with smaller numbers of licenses. And perhaps they could be split between early and late seasons, as well as muzzleloader and maybe even archery season.

I tried to "sell" this idea to G&F several years ago. They could manage for quality, keep hunters interested and even sell more licenses because success rates are lower for limited quota archery and muzz seasons. We really need some quality experiences to keep people interested in hunting becuase people grow weary with all of the crowds and craziness on public lands in the general season.

I've tried mentioning this for over a decade and know several of the guys at G&F well. They just don't want any part of it. Their standard answer is the there is "no biolgical need" for any changes to the existing seasons or season structure.

Finally, try for preference points for residents. I have not drawn a quality antelope license since 1991. With preference points, I would have had at least 4-5 quality hunts by now. Same for elk and I have NEVER drawn one of the quality late season deer licenses even though I have been trying for almost 20 years. (I'm also zero for 31 years on sheep and goats.)

I'll help any way I can. Time, money or ???

Shoot me a pm if you want to talk about this.

I agree with you there. I know my uncle that lives in Evanston would love to go to some kind of preference point system for residents in wyoming. In the unit we hunt antelope he has drawn 2 buck tags in the the last 11 years and the success rate is supposed to be over 60 percent for residents.

I was just trying to get the general concensus of how the wyoming residents felt about trying to get some muzzleloader only hunting going in this state. Most all other western states have a muzzleloader season and I feel It would be a good thing. If nothing else it might make for fewer hunters hunting the general season rifle hunt. Please just let me know what you all think about it. And we might be able to get the ball rolling on this. I have connections. Thank You.
Please contact me at [email protected] I’m trying to do the same thing!

Contact me I. Doing the same!!!!!!

Having a muzzleloader season just takes more opportunity away for the tags. This is a small crowd to please for muzzleloader only.

I love shooting my muzzy and i am just fine to use it during general..

Add a muzzleoader season and someone will sqauk for a flintlock only season, then a rocket launcher season, then a army tank season. Where does it end

Our season structure is fine the way it is. The last hunter attitude survey had 74% of both res and nr wanting to leave season structure as is.

And this notion of more tags with lower success doesn't pan out. With struggling herds of both mule deer and pronghorn, the last thing we need is more pressure on them.

Who all's for late season mule deer tags?:rolleyes:

The goal is to stir the pot :unsure: New members and guest? I'll play...muzzle loaders are pia...I'll stick with the bow!

Our season structure is fine the way it is. The last hunter attitude survey had 74% of both res and nr wanting to leave season structure as is.

And this notion of more tags with lower success doesn't pan out. With struggling herds of both mule deer and pronghorn, the last thing we need is more pressure on them.

Who all's for late season mule deer tags?:rolleyes:
I'm not for late season tags here our deer population is so sad it couldn't handle it. It's not the 70's anymore can't keep letting everyone with a hunter safety card and a rifle rifle kill a fork horn every year and expect quality deer herds. Too many hunters now. My opinion

The only area where I think Wyoming is dropping the ball is the Platte River Mule deer herd. We used to have a very small number of licenses about 25 deer licenses during elk season or Oct 15-31st. The hunt was highly coveted and was always a great hunt as you had a chance at harvesting one of the Colorado migrating big bucks which winter in Wyoming. It went away about 5 years ago but never made+any sense to me. Those big Colorado bucks get a free lunch as they stay in Colorado until Oct. 15th then run into Wyoming to avoid any deer hunting seasons other than Colorado’s archery and muzzleloader seasons then remained inside Wyoming and were never hunted. It just seems Wyoming is protecting all these big bucks for the next season so Colorado hunters can have a chance at them during archery and Muzzy season. A free lunch for Colorado. Time to reinitiate that hunt.

Regarding having a Muzzy season, I am against it for deer and antelope as The herds are already depressed enough. Modern muzzleloader are anything but PRIMITIVE FIREARMS season as many states call them. Nowadays with technology the scopes, high quality guns and powder make them as lethal as any modern rifle and anything but a primitive firearms season. The deer and antelope don’t need more hunting pressure, they need less.

The only area where I think Wyoming is dropping the ball is the Platte River Mule deer herd. We used to have a very small number of licenses about 25 deer licenses during elk season or Oct 15-31st. The hunt was highly coveted and was always a great hunt as you had a chance at harvesting one of the Colorado migrating big bucks which winter in Wyoming. It went away about 5 years ago but never made+any sense to me. Those big Colorado bucks get a free lunch as they stay in Colorado until Oct. 15th then run into Wyoming to avoid any deer hunting seasons other than Colorado’s archery and muzzleloader seasons then remained inside Wyoming and were never hunted. It just seems Wyoming is protecting all these big bucks for the next season so Colorado hunters can have a chance at them during archery and Muzzy season. A free lunch for Colorado. Time to reinitiate that hunt.

Regarding having a Muzzy season, I am against it for deer and antelope as The herds are already depressed enough. Modern muzzleloader are anything but PRIMITIVE FIREARMS season as many states call them. Nowadays with technology the scopes, high quality guns and powder make them as lethal as any modern rifle and anything but a primitive firearms season. The deer and antelope don’t need more hunting pressure, they need less.
yes....pushing for a "muzzle loader" season is laughable now.
Not so much in 2007 though.....but it was getting there....lol

Nope. No Muzzy seasons. If you want to hunt Muzzy then do it. If you want to be like other states then go to those other states.

No preference points either. They suck!

If you want to have seasons like Colorado or Utah feel free to move and have them. I will take the random draw any day over points.

Montana just came up with additional seasons for muzzleloader using your infilled tag started 12/2 or 3 not sure 11 days hunting late mules the bull will in their bachelor group

Add another season and we kill more deer,They won't decrease the number of tags sold already !Be careful on what you wish to add to a already declining deer heard,MY thoughts.

I like how all the states are different. A guy can take advantage of every state strengths. Some points some no points. Some managed for opportunity and others for quality. If a guy plays his cards right he can hunt multiple tags every year with some quality hunts mixed in.

I have hunted off and on with a ML for years. It is never my first choice of weapons to carry. The muzzleloader seasons usually have fewer hunters and take place during a better time of year making them a quality hunt.

Anyone asking for a ML hunt in Wyoming is looking for a more quality experience which will certainly mean less opportunity for someone.

Wasn't into the Sauce early my new puppy jumped on me witch in return send it and I wasnt even done and didnt even relize it sent wtf.... Wyoming does not need a muzzleloader season... The mule deer are having a hard enough time without another season dumped on them.... I think mule deer should go limited quota for nonresidents no more general region tags and residents have to draw a limited quota or pick a region done... Merry Christmas Homer WTF

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom