Muzzleloader Question

excaliber

I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. I was just wondering how much recoil do you guys get from your Muzzleloaders.
it seems like it would be pretty substantial because of the bullet weight and powder charge.

What would you compare it to as far as a centerfire rifle goes.

Assuming you are talking about the average Remington bolt-action centerfire to a Remington ML, I would compare the typical 100 grain powder charge//250 gr. sabot/bullet to that of a .308 or 20-gauge pump shotgun. Increase the powder charge to 150 & the felt recoil would be similar to a .300 Mag or 12-gauge pump shotgun.

Just my opinion... Others here may say different!

............."KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY FELLAS".............

That would be my estimate also with a few exceptions. There is a difference in felt recoil that is related to the pressure rise rate of the powder being used. Fast rise rate powder like Triple Seven has what I would call sharp recoil with heavy loads felt recoil like that of a 7mm Mag. Slower rise rate powder like real black, pyrodex or Black Mag3 may give the same velocity as 777 but with a significantly lower felt recoil. The recoil is more of a push rather than a slap. I shot some 300gr. bullets at 2000fps with Black Mag3 and the recoil was in my opinion manageable. (I will not shoot a 7mm Mag). 1680fps with the same bullet using 777 the recoil was uncomfortable to me. The weight of the muzzleloader has a lot to do with how the recoil is felt by the shooter. Limbsaver recoil pads help a lot also.

I think it has a lot to do with the muzzy that you're shooting. Traditional Muzzy's tipicaly have a brass butt, the new inlines will (or could be) fitted with a recoil pad. I know when I go out shoting my inline I can set down and shot it all day long with out any problems. It has a kick that I would compare to my Winchester 270. After seeing how my brother-in-laws traditional muzzy slaps him I'd get rid of the dam thing the first time I shot it. Everytime I have shot with him he comes home with a riser the size of a golf ball on his cheek.

400bull

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom