Muzzleloader Utah high country mule deer success

Lukegarrett2002

I was able to finally able to seal the deal on this awesome mature buck up somewhere on the wasatch front. I had a very hard time even finding mature deer on this hunt and I had spent a couple days not being able to find really any mature bucks that I’d be happy to hang my tag on. I was looking on google earth and the hunt boundaries and found a spot that looked pretty good and after hunting all afternoon I found this buck feeding in a basin below me (Only deer I saw all day) and it didn’t take very long for me to decide and then buck fever kicked in, I got to where I thought I was on top of him and he was nowhere to be found after looking around for a bit I noticed that he was actually sitting on the skyline looking at me, I took a 269 yard shot and the rest is history, my dads 50 cal savage 10 ml 2 incapacitated him pretty quickly. I killed right at last legal shooting light and had a rough night hauling back 4 miles to the truck, I couldn’t be happier with this buck at my age, he’s not too big to where I’m spoiled and he’s not too small to where I’m disappointed. Now I have to focus on filling my elk tag then I’ll be off to Colorado to hunt Muleys again!

B50DC7E5-DEA5-4FAE-BC48-B7967A8D8559.jpeg

2AEA8B2C-171B-4711-B7CA-CAF4AF3256FA.jpeg

Great buck! And in no way is my following comment meant in disrespect to a job well done and within the rules.

On a separate note, why doesn’t utah just go to an early and late rifle hunt if you can shoot a muzzleloader 300 yards. It seems pointless unless their are restrictions put on the weapons that make it so they are more close range.

I c
Great buck! And in no way is my following comment meant in disrespect to a job well done and within the rules.

On a separate note, why doesn’t utah just go to an early and late rifle hunt if you can shoot a muzzleloader 300 yards. It seems pointless unless their are restrictions put on the weapons that make it so they are more close range.
i completely agree with you, there isn’t much advantage to rifle hunting exept being able to shoot out to longer ranges and being able to reload a lot quicker, I’d say if you put a rifle hunt during the same time you’d see pretty similar success rates maybe just a little better with a rifle, the hunt in my eyes or at least for the unit I was in the name of the game was hiking your balls off and glassing, and the muzzleloader just had I little bit more steps, if they had a two rifles hunts one during what would be the muzzy hunt and maybe one the last week of October or first week of November with less tags like how CO does it, and maybe have the muzzy hunt in the middle of September with more restrictions on the traditional ness of it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom