Muzzy Help

Deepcolor

Looking for some help with a Rem. 700 muzzle loader. I had a friend drop off his muzz that has a stuck breach plug, sounds like he hasn’t taken it out for several years and now he can’t get it removed for cleaning. Any secrets out there? I imagine there is some serious corrosion and build up between the plug and the barrel.

FIRST, verify it is unloaded and empty!!! See if you can use the ramrod to measure depth, or see thru it with the bolt removed. Apply Kroil or another type of penetrating oil to the plug and let sit for a while. Then clamp it securely in a vise where you can get some torque on it, without damaging the stock.

A friend at work offered to help his buddy get a stuck breech plug out, and they decided a small Bernz-O-Matic propane torch would heat up just the outside quick enough to expand it, and the extra clearance would make it easier. Imagine their surprise and shock when it fired, sending a bullet thru the garage wall!!!

Kroil is amazing, should do the trick. I have used brake fluid to free a stuck piston in a small engine. Also turning it to tighten even a little bit and then to loosen may help. Good luck amigo.

Hey DC!

Make Sure & Buy Some High Grade

Permatex High Temperature Anti-Seize Lubricant

It's Silver in color!

Brush the Anti-Seize over the Entire Thread Area after you've cleaned/brushed the Plug!

Then:

The Breech Plug needs to be Tightened just a little more than Snug!

DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN!

Lots of Guys Thinking the Plug needs to be as Tight as You can Turn it,NOT SO!

I Use a High Quality Thin Wall Socket which sometimes are hard to find!

There's other Brands of High Grade Anti-Seize out there as Well!

But We've had the Best Luck with the Silver Colored Anti-Seize!

I Do My Own Testing on My Smoke-Poles!

Glad the Kroil worked. Good stuff. I use breech plug grease or choke tube grease on my breech plugs, and tighten to a really tight finger tight. Never had any issues, but my BP is out at least 3-4X per year.

Good deal. Glad it worked out for you. Kroil is the best penetrating oil I have ever used in any application. Now that they have an aerosol, it's even easier. I never realized that some people had no idea what we were talking about, so here's a pic if you need enlightenment!!

0F2284F9-C36A-4F26-BE7D-A8A64AAF728A.jpeg

B2C2734A-29AE-4B74-B51C-848644D30F5F.jpeg

I have an original KDF muzzle break on a 7 mm rem mag rifle that hasn’t been off in 20 years. It’s stuck!! Any way to use Kroil to get that loose without damaging the rifle bore or blued finish?

I have an original KDF muzzle break on a 7 mm rem mag rifle that hasn’t been off in 20 years. It’s stuck!! Any way to use Kroil to get that loose without damaging the rifle bore or blued finish?
Give it a go, don’t think there is any solvents in Kroil, just magic in a bottle.

I read an article in American Hunter(?) a couple years ago about cleaning really fouled rifle barrels. I cut it out and put it in my gun cleaning kit.
Along with the standard Hoppes and and various gun cleaning solvents, it also recommended Kroil. I used it on two guns last summer. It didn't damage the bluing. The barrel did get cleaner than with just gun cleaner solvents.
The guns were ~20 yr old Remington Model 700s if that matters.
If you want, I can post the article on here, or send it to you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom