Muzzy Question

kawboy

Very Active Member
I have been thinking about getting a .45 cal in-line muzzy. I was told that you could not hunt Elk with anything under a .50 cal. is there any truth to this? I always figured .45 would be plenty of gun.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-11 AT 09:52AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-11 AT 09:50?AM (MST)

The restrictions for elk are not the caliber of muzzleloader you use, but the caliber of bullet you use. So, your 45 cal is fine for elk.

Here is the law:

(2)(a) A lead or expanding bullet or projectile of at least 40 caliber must be used to hunt big game.

(b) A 170 grain or heavier bullet, including sabots must be used for taking deer and pronghorn.

(c) A 210 grain or heavier bullet must be used for taking elk, moose, bison, bighorn sheep, and Rocky Mountain goat, except sabot bullets used for taking these species must be a minimum of 240 grains.

Kawboy Honestly i have hunted wit muzzy for over 30 years and fad them all calibers i honestly would stay away from 45 the 50 will perfrom much better on deer or elk thats just my opinion seen alot of lost animals on a 45 not that it wont do the job but its more of a whitail caliber.thats just my opinion

That's good info, thanks. I was looking at the 45 because I heard its easier to get more consistant accuracy. Maybe I will do some more research

Not to go all "If I hit it its dead", but the accuracy point I find interesting. You have a lot more choices in both guns and loads in .50. And, while I know you can shoot 300+ yrds with a modern muzzleloader, why would you? The fun of the muzzleloader is closing the distance. Any anything inside of 150 yrds you can easily achieve excellent accuracy with the .50. I shoot 100grains pyrodex and 245 grain sabots and yes if you can hit a paper plate(and I can do better than that) your going to kill what you shoot at with that much lead out there.

You make a good point hoss. I have no intention of attempting anything over 100 yards. I just want to do everything I can to make my shot count. I have enough things working against me to not try my best to make a good shot. I never want to post on here asking people to find an animal that I have hit and cannot find. I have heard from a few people that a 45 is the best caliber to have.

My 50 cal Triumph is amazingly accurate. I dont think it is a matter or caliber but cosistency. If you load exactly the same with a 45 or 50 with a load your gun agrees on accuacy is there. If you are inconsistent with loads and loading technuique, you will be all over. I agree that with the 50 you will have many more options to play with to find your "majic" load. I found that the little things count. The pressure on the ramrod was one that threw me for a loop. I was shooting good groups with a firm consistent seating force then one load I tried slamming the ramrod down a couple times after the sabot was seated in an attempt to seat it tighter, shot, and didnt even hit the paper. The next load I went back to my customary seating force with the ramrod and dead on, bullseye.

Which is more consistant, pyrodex pellets or the loose powder?

Pellets are convinient and a lot of people like them. I personally like the Blackhorn 209 wich is a loose powder. The pellets can have some variance in with edges broke off etc., so it is not exact grainage shot after shot but good enough to have diecent groups in the field. Loose powder lets you expiriment in 5 grain steps from as low as you want to as high of a charge as you want and can find that tack driver charge your gun likes, that is consistent time after time. I have mine tuned in well enough with the 209 loose to nail a milk jug at 300 yds. time after time. So if you want a diecent load thats convinient for reloading in the field, pellets are not a bad option. If you are a little OCD like me and want that tack driving consistency, loose is the way to go IMO.

The most accurate muzzleloader I have ever seen is my dads old Green River "Poor boy" model. It is in 50 CAL and can only do round balls. He shoots it with the original iron sites that he modified with the help of a gunsmith.

He will literally shoot it through the same hole at 100 yards. Now does he still hunt with the old smoke pole? Well no, cause roundballs just don't do the job very well on any animal.

But the point is, a well made rifle is more important than caliber, or even optics for that matter.

Just my 2 cents.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom