My 11 yr old got his buck this morning. All the kids filled their tags

NMPaul

My son drew no tags this year so we bought him a private land voucher.
We had permission to hunt a friends property when it was not being hunted. We had been out there a couple times during the week but had not been able to close the deal on a buck or the buck was smaller than his buck last year and Zach wanted to do better than the small 2x3 from last year.

I called my friend last night and he said that there would be hunters the last day, but, I could hunt the 3 sections behind the house because nobody ever hunted the steep mountains there.
I was excited to get to hunt where nobody else had hunted.

We started out early (Zach took the day off from school) and got on top of the highest mountain there and tried to follow the tops glassing the whole time. We found a herd of wild goats over 3/4 miles away. We got back 1.5 miles as a crow flies and had seen not even a doe.

I was starting to see why nobody was hunting this area. Steep mountains with almost no vegetation or cover.

Finally after 3 hours of glassing we found 5 does. We moved on and went over a high saddle. Down in the ravine below we spotted this buck with a couple of does. They did not see us. We had time to set up and Zach made a 185 yard shot. He hit it low. The next 5 shots were complete misses. Finally the buck went down dying from the first shot.

Zach and I semi boned (we got out all the meat and the head) out the buck and hiked 2 miles back to the truck going wide of the mountain range so we could avoid going up and down. Zach just turned 11 in Oct and he packed out about 40lbs of meat himself and the head. Pretty darn good.
Here are the pics of our other deer from this season. My 15 yr old daughter and Jordan who is 12 yrs old and a good friend of the family.

2008ZachsMuleDeerBuck008.jpg

2008ZachsMuleDeerBuck003.jpg

2008LaurensDeer006.jpg

2008JordansDeer008.jpg

3 for 3 that is awesome....Kudos to Zach, your daughter and Jordan and also to the great guide!

Great Job all of you!

Dan

Congrats!!! Good job getting the kids out.
The markings on that buck are very interesting. It looks like he has almost no forehead patch.

nmtaxi, actually he had some kind of skin disease on his face (scabies?? there were sheep in the area).

I save all the capes because my taxi gives me a credit for them, but, on this buck i decided not to. around his eyes especially it was puffed and scabbed. If you squeezed some of the worst puffy areas pus came out (yum yum).

That is why he looks older than he is. Maybe a good one to have taken out.

Paul, thanks for sharing the pics and getting your youngest and the other kids out. I'd see rather pictures of kids who appreciate a nice fat young buck than I would any of the big old hogs some of the older farts around here kill! Reminds me of just how real hunting can and should be and how we should all respect and appreciate every animal that we are fortunate to harvest. Remember those first big game animals when you were a kid? Nothing beats them period. Thanks agan Paul and congrats to the young hunters! Too cool.
-Cody

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom