My 2008 MT Elk hunt (part three)

deerhuntr4885

So my elk was in the bag. Bob still had a cow tag to fill and I had a deer tag. We were both pretty tired. We decided to take it easy the next day. We went for a drive around the area and took some photos.
491bb7d8441d86a4.jpg

491bb80c457d7c2b.jpg

We located a Block Management ranch completely by accident. We saw two hunters at the parking area and decided to pull in and see what was going on. They happened to be the ranch owner's nephew and his friend from CA. I took photos of these barns. They were built in the 1880's according to the nephew.
491bbac356f3312f.jpg

491bbbc45df4016b.jpg

He told us that they had been chasing a heard of about 12 elk around on the ranch for three days. He shot at one and hit it but could not find it in a nasty canyon. They also showed us a small 4X4 muley they had taken behind the house.

The nephew told us that he was the only one with permission to drive on the ranch and said he would be hunting it every day. They seemed like good guys and we BS'ed for about 30 minutes before moving on.

We drove around some more and I spotted this little band of goats off the road. The buck was not huge, but he was a keeper in my book.
491bb9154c6c7c2b.jpg

491bb9774ea98914.jpg

491bba6a5503a580.jpg

We checked out a different canyon and talked with a hunter. He told us that they had seen a sow and cub grizzley in the west canyon and a big boar grizz in the east canyon. His friend fired a .44 over the boar's back in an attempt to scare him off of the trail. The boar looked at him and went right back to digging in the ant hill he was feasting on. We decided to eliminate this canyon from our hunt.
491bc001700b357e.jpg

That evening we went back to the ranch and just sat in the parking area looking at the hillsides. We spotted a herd of nine cow elk high on the mountain. I also saw three white butts against the edge of the timber next to the elk. I commented to Bob that I bet those are bucks up there. Before I could get my spotter out they were in the timber. We spotted a herd of six elk further away, also up high on the ridge.

We decided to come back in the morning and go after the smaller band of six because they were in an area the nephew was not hunting. We climbed high in the morning and I only saw one elk. It was above us and moving to the timber right at daylight.

We talked to the nephew and he told us about three bucks, one really good one he jumped on the top of the ridge (DANG IT!) I missed my opportunity and what sounded like a good buck.

On the ay back to camp I spotted this goat right along the highway, across the river.
491bc9141c81bf60.jpg

That night we rode up above our camp. This time only a couple miles up the trail. We hiked into some good steep county with alot of open hillsides. We were working our way slowly uphill through some meadows. Suddenly I got a really strong smell of elk. I signaled to Bob and we crept up further. We side hilled around and Bob peaked over below us. He quickly jerked back and whispered "There they are!"

We moved forward and I saw about six cows and a bull heading for the timber at a trot. Three cows stopped and stared right at us for what seemed like an eternity. I was whispering to Bob to shoot. But nothing.... After about 10 seconds they whirled and headed into the timber. They were at about 40 yards!

Bob said that there was another bull behind them that I could not see and he did not want to risk the shot. It was just at dark so after a few minutes we left and headed back to the horses. The bulls were both small rag horns.

The next day we went for a ride to the top of different mountain. We saw no elk but alot of sign and some beautiful scenery.
491bc0427172c658.jpg

491bc3657fe0dd41.jpg

491bc3ad022d99a9.jpg

Bob was starting to lean toward leaving on Friday. I told him I was OK with that. He suggested that we check out the ranch on the last morning and just see if we could see anything from the parking area before tearing down camp. I agreed. He changed his mind about three times before morning but at about 5 AM he decided to go check it out.

We got there right at daylight. I got out of the truck and walked to the fence. There they were! There was 40 head way out in the flats. 37 cows, 1 five point, 1 four point and a spike.

Bob snuck out there while I watched from the spotter. The elk knew something was up and were looking the other way, walking towards Bob. They walked single file past Bob at about 400 yards. I kept saying "Shoot, Shoot, Shoot!" I was crawling out of my skin because it looked like they were going to get past him.

Bob fired two shots and the heard stopped. They then turned around and walked past him again. I heard a shot from up the hill. I looked up and saw three other guys sneaking in on them from above. The elk stopped in a depression and balled up. They did not know what to do.

They then turned back the way they had come and started cautiously walking off. Bob fired two more times and the last cow and I saw it drop. He told me the shot was approx. 425 yards. The rest of the herd ran around the ranch and into the deep canyons to the south. The other hunters turned out to be the nephew and his friends.

I felt terrible at first as they had been hunting hard for a week and were obvioulsy stalking in on this herd. I went to talk with them while Bob worked on his elk. They were very gracious and offered to drive in and get the elk out for us.

When we got to the cow it was huge! We had to drag it about 100 yards and it took four of us. They got it to our truck and we took it straight to a nearby butcher shop. For 30 bucks they hung it and skinned it for us. They had the whole thing processed in less than 12 hours and ready for Bob to pick up. It was pretty impressive and they were really good people.

491bc5610c911d15.jpg

That was the first time I have ever gotten an animal to the butcher in one piece. Bob suggested that we tear down camp and move into a motel for the last night. We located a lodge with horse corrals! I could not believe that. We packed up and headed to Ennis where the Sportsman's Lodge awaited.
491bc655109fb662.jpg

Bob and I spent Holloween night in a local bar (Bob drank soda). There were people walking around town in costume, bar hopping. It was really kinda weird to see.

The next day we had breakfast and said our good-bye's. I really enjoyed my time with Bob. He was everything I could have hoped for if you have to spend a week alone with a perfect stranger.

I love this site and have met some really great people on here. If you ever thought about trying to find a hunting partner on here I would recommend taking the chance. You never know what might happen. I am already toying with the idea of taking up a bow and visiting Bob in the Gila next year for elk.

Here is a picture of a sculpture in downtown Ennis I took before heading home. I thought it was pretty cool.
491bc7cd1728d1b7.jpg

Another one:
491bc8bb1b60b897.jpg

Here are some tammarack's along the highway.
491bc86119c5b69d.jpg

Well, thanks for reading. I hope I did not bore you. I still have a buck tag for Montana and Washington. My wife says I can't afford to go back again for the closer but it sure is killing me. Anyone need a partner? HAHAHA! (Seriously) :D

Mike Henne

LAST EDITED ON Nov-13-08 AT 06:05AM (MST)[p]Great pics and story. Isn't Montana great? Too bad there are no animals to hunt huh?

What a great trip, story, and photos, Mike!! Thank you for allowing us to "come along" on the trip for a little while.

Scott
Member: RMEF, SCI, and NRA

Great pics & story, Thanks for sharing them. I really like the horse & cowboy sculpture.

Nice shots!! I thought that mountain looked familiar & then when you said you went to the Sportsman I said that's gotta be the Sphinx. So I'm pretty sure I've seen those old barns too. I'll be there or somewhere near on Sunday. Been awhile since I shot a bull but cows eat just fine.

You missed the best part of that sculpture in downtown Ennis. There is a mama grizzly and cubs awaiting down the trail from the packer and his horses. I think that it is called "a wreck waiting to happen" or "touble on the trail". Did you stop in at the Shed Horn Sports it is one of the best gun shops in the west.

I was wondering where to hunt elk this weekend and maybe I will go to the Madison Valley.

Thanks guys. Yes I saw the rest of the sculpture. Here is a couple more pcis of it. It is so dang spread out I could not get it all in one shot. I did not know the name of it.
491ccf50221e7064.jpg

491ccfb124bc303a.jpg

Yes we stopped at shed horn sports too.. How could we not. Bob is as big of a gun nut as I am. I literally had to grab his arm and tell him we had to go. We needed to get out for his evening hunt. I think he was more interested in the store then his hunt.

Mike Henne

Mike,
Thanks for writing up & posting the 2008 Montana Adventure, but most of all, thanks for going on the trip with me. I really enjoyed it -- it was a trip I'll never forget. I love Montana and your pictures are incredible. Ennis is growing, a new hospital, a lot of building going on, and a lot of ranches being subdivided into those little "ranchettes". Every time I get up there I'm thankful I got to go one more time before it's gone (or I'm gone). I hope we can stay in touch and do something together again. I'll send you directions to some secret deer spots over on the east side of the state, just in case you get a chance to go.
Good luck,
Bob

BTW, Shedhorn Sports is one of my favorite gun shops. They have guns that are hard to find down here in New Mexico, their prices are very good, it only costs $35 to get a gun shipped, and there is no sales tax when they ship out of state, which covers the shipping cost on their end and the FFL cost on my end.

All Three parts were an outstanding read. The phots were
great and I felt like I was right there with you guys.
Thanks for taking the time to share your adventure with us.
What was the final bill on processing the cow ? I'm just
wondering how the rates are compaired to here at home in
SE Texas. Later Baker

Damn Mike....what a heck of a trip. Ended up pretty good for ya after sitting in front of the computer feeling sorry for yourself. Thanks for all the pics.....Congrats to the both of you. Gotta love Montana!

Yeah, it was a great time. I love Montana. I have hunted Alberta, Idaho, Wyoming and of course Washington. They are all good states. I am also building points in Colorado for a future hunt.

As far as the processing of the elk. It was $30 to skin it and $210 for processing. My elk (processed in WA) was $121.00 for processing.

Thanks for reading guys. BTW I have some other stories from previous years in the Mule deer archives if you are interested.

Mike Henne

Nice one Mike! Great story... Could you tell me...or pm me...where that goat was?? Just curious.

Ernie

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom