My 2009 Wyoming buck

BrianID

Very Active Member
I didn't have very good luck in the drawing a quality tag this year so I picked up a left over deer tag in central Wyoming. The area I was hunting didn't have genetics for growing big antlers but I would be hunting with an old friend Trapper, so I knew I would have a good time and was looking forward to the hunt.

Opening morning started in an area neither of us had been to before. We saw about 40 does that morning but the only buck we saw was a smaller one and was about a mile away. That afternoon we decided to take a drive to a different spot. While eating lunch Trapper spent a few minutes working on his loose muffler and we came up with a plan to do a short push through a creek bottom. The plan was I would start at the spot we were eating lunch and Trapper would drive the truck down the road and climb up on a bluff that gave him a better view of what I would push out the the creek bottom. Surprisingly this buck had been bedded in the sage about 50 yards from us the last half hour. He had nerves of steel to hide in the sage while we talked and beat on a muffler. A couple minutes after Trapper drove off this buck thought it was all clear and decided to leave the area. Unlucky for him I was still standing there. I hadn't loaded my gun yet so I fumbled for shells as I was trying to judge how big he was and if I really wanted to shoot him the first day of the hunt. When he was bouncing about 100 yards away and about to leave my line of site I decided to take the shot.

1-23.jpg

2-19.jpg

3-13.jpg

4-8.jpg

For never hunting the area, I'd say you got pretty lucky! Congratulations on a fine deer..!

By the way... LUCK: When thorough preparation meets opportunity.

Congrats on a nice buck. That guy has a beautiful cape on him. Love the double throat patch. Looks like a big cape too.
48a9c86f4e0036c6.jpg

Nice buck - I antelope hunt central part of state and have seen a few nice muleys but not many - thats a nice one congrats!!

Great job. Another new hunting technique to try out, banging on the muffler.

Thanks for all of the nice comments. I would rather be lucky than good any day. I don't think I would have shot him opening day if he was two miles from a road. Not having to drag him very far and knowing there was a good chance I wouldn't find a buck a whole lot bigger made him too hard to pass.

huntermick,

I saw a couple other bucks that were comparable to this one on public land (about 150" gross).

On private land I saw one really nice buck that had a typical frame that I think would have scored close to 185" but he also had 4(?) non-typical points. I don't know if he would have been 200" gross NT but he was close. I also caught a glimpse of another really nice buck on private land.

Brian-congrats on a nice desert buck. Makes you wonder how many big ones hide from us just a short distance away.

Doug

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom