My 2010 FREAK!

Cookie2

Very Active Member
Well it's been too slow in the NM forum lately so I'll start things back up!
I hunted pretty hard in unit 31 this last week and although I saw a few pretty decent bucks it just wouldn't come together for me. I finally had it come together just before sundown last night. This guy was pushing a doe with another smaller buck trying to get into the game. They were in a bunch of rolling dunes which gave me ample cover to close the distance. He finally gave me the shot but semi-jumped the string. Shot was a little far back but he took off on a death run. I figured the thing to do would be wait till the morning and go find him. On the way home I thought better of this plan as the coyotes would have him picked clean by morning so with the help of my dad headed back out there. Bloodtrails in the red sand can be difficult to say the least! It took a little over an hour and a half of following a blood trail that was faint to say the least at times, tracks that were not going in any reasonable direction, and broken branches in mesquite bushes that he had turn through, but we finally found him piled up about 500 yards from where I had shot him. He never stopped running through all this. Never seen anything like it in over 20 years of bowhunting. I was quite proud of myself being able to track him down and recover him before the coyotes got to him!

Sorry for the crappy pics but we were wore out and just wanted to get him loaded up and home!

4b50d53471a24ad5.jpg

4b50d5607274a363.jpg

4b50d57b732640ad.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-10 AT 02:19PM (MST)[p]Curtis, thats an awesome buck for sure. That was the sandhills you got him in??

500 yards, thats some major tracking.

What do you think caused the acorn in his horn??

500 yards IN THE DARK!!!

Sandhills is correct and I figure probably an injury in velvet but with all the other "not normal" stuff going on there who knows? Definitely not the best genes in that one and he passed them along to the next generation as he was the dominant buck in this particular group of deer!

Nice deer Curtis and way to take care of your meat by getting him out before the dogs could get on him. Pretty funky rack and some good eating I'm sure. Thanks for finally sharing!
-Cody

Nice buck Curtis. Way to stick to it and get it done with a bow. That buck is unique. Congrats.--Kevin

That was the only deer in the unit. Please edit your post and leave the unit number out! hahaha

Congrat on the buck! Scored on a 23" solid 11 point myself down here. Good luck on sheep next month.

Well.. let's see him. I saw a couple of that caliber but they were a little too smart for this ole redneck!
Didn't put in for sheep this year as I was/am throwing a fit with the game comissions decision to give a few landowners an easy way to make a buck on ranch only hunts! Good luck to all who are going but I think NMDGF needs to figure out what they want and stick with it and stop listening so much to the greed that is currently driving their decisions!
There, now I'll get off my soapbox and get back to normal!

Dang nice buck Cookie....I mounted a whitetail with almost the same deformity a few years back that one of my buddies killed. Congrats on taking one with a bow....no small feat.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom