My 2020 California Deer Long Read

Skykarp

2020 was a hell of a year to say the least.

It took me a while to get around to this but I am finally to it.

2020 was the year I decided I was going to spend my BP's in California. Unfortunately due to missing the first year of bonus points I had finally made the decision to stop being penalized by the state and go use them. Of coarse the year I decide to burn the points we go to draught conditions, covid, fires, wind , and smoke.

I had started doing research two years ago and decided on a zone. The original plan was to make two scouting trips pre season as I was guaranteed the tag. Then our old friend Covid hit. While most peoples industries took a step back or slowed my job sped up. This led to the realization that two 5 day scouting trips wasn't going to be happening. I enlisted the Help of Rick and R and R guide service.

We arrived a couple days early to help scout, When I booked the hunt I told Rick I wasn't here to have it put in my lap I wanted to hunt. Over the two days of scouting we looked at 20 + bucks but unfortunately nothing stood out. We could tell the smoke was going to be an issue. Some mornings you could see 5 miles some 5000 yards.

Day 1 - We decided to go off the beaten path a pretty good distance down a road most trucks wouldn't make it on. We hadn't see the size of deer in the area we were looking for previously but it had high secluded pockets deer could hide in. First light came and nothing. We continued to move down the ridge glassing up the draws and of coarse all the life we had seen the day before was gone. We continued to work down the ridge and as I gridded over the back of a rock pile I see movement in 15's . I direct Rick and my dad to the deer and they both start looking while i switched to the spotter. It was a 4x4 but it didn't seem like it was the one. Rick said lets take a walk to double check. We had to gain about 700-800 feet to get a better vantage on him which took us a litle while. We finally got to the top and started trying to re acquire. We found him and he was a great looking deer that still had some red in his coat and a cool white line across the shoulders but he wasn't what I was looking for.

IMG_1838[1].jpg

We watched him for a little while and decided to move on. My dad ended up going back to the side by side due to the climb we were going to make. We spent the rest of the day looking down pockets and seeing a lot less than we thought we wood. We found the sign but just couldn't turn any decent bucks up.

Day 2 - The plan was to try a transition area that the deer usually moved through once the road hunting began. The theory was use the pressure of the other hunters to our advantage. We got up early got out of camp and on foot gaining elevation. Once we got set up .... Nothing. Sun came up, lights came on and no one came to play. We could glass hunters but nothing for animal life. We made a quick decision to pivot and try some secluded canyons like we did the day before and check bedding areas. My hopes changed went from low to high as soon as we got around the corner we spotted movement.

IMG_1797.jpg

I got the telescope out and while he was a nice deer it wasn't what I was going to put my tag on. We spent the rest of the day looking over rock piles and shadows for nothing until last light when we found these 3 little guys.

IMG_1775.jpg

Day 3 - We woke up and couldn't see the sky and knew we were in trouble. Our worst fears were realized as we got to where we wanted to start. The prevailing winds we had for the first few days had died out and we were going to get smoked out. We did our best but it was impossible see past 1000 yards. We tucked our tails early and used the day to get some rest.

Day 4 - We woke up and the sky was a little clearer but the smoke was still with us. We started in the same place we did on day 3. The morning started off the same way with smoke but we could see it was starting to clear. The only issue is as the smoke cleared the wind speed increased. Well we didn't have any smoke but we had 25 mph winds. We hunted all day and bumped a couple of small bucks from under a ledge. I also made my at the time best spot I have ever made in my deer hunting career.

IMG_1850.jpg

What I didn't know was there were 3 deer there another buck and a doe. I didnt get a pick of the doe .
IMG_1857.jpg

Day 5 - We were going to use day 5 as a half day rest and recoup day. We were going to go hunt the morning and then kick back in the afternoon because there was good weather coming. We had made a plan to try our day 1 spot. As we came around the corner we could see a smoke bank at the back of the valley. We went to plan B and took a spot that gave us a large area to glass. To say my spirits were getting on the downside was an understatement. I knew I had 5 days left but did passing on that first buck doom me? We started glassing as the sun came up and the lights came on and I started gridding. After an hour I was starting to lose my morning steam from being warn down. Its 7:45 am and I start moving my glass to the next spot and I pick up a small buck and doe. My interest perks up and I guide my Dad and Rick in to get more eyes in the area so I can get the telescope out. As I am looking at the two deer I let him know its a small buck. Rick tells me to move 10' to the right and my eyes explode out of my head. Everyone got real from this moment . The tree was 1.78 miles away when I spotted the first 2 deer.

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

We started to make a plan was the deer was on a proverbial island. We came up with a plan that turned out to be a 2 1/2 hour hike to get into position. Along the way we bumped a nice 3x5 that got lucky we were after someone else. We also got locked down by 10 does and fawns that started barking at us. Luckily the wind was in our face and they moved on. We were able to get to 350 yards and get set up and the deer was still in his bed. The two deer I had first spotted had moved under the tree as well so it was a party of 3 . The issue being the big buck was behind the tree and we had no eyes on it. We sat for seemed like an eternity and all the sudden the doe stands up, then the small buck, and then finally the big buck. The big buck was in the sun and needed to reposition. The doe cleared, the small buck cleared and here comes the big buck AND he lays down behind a small rock ledge. The rock ledge literally covered everything below the top of his shoulder. We had to keep sitting and sitting and sitting. 45 mins later they start to reposition again and the doe covers up the big buck. Finally the doe clears I make the decision its go time. Breathe, Squeeze, Boom , Whap and where did he go?! I know it was a good shot I watched the bullet impact. I see him come out on the left side of the tree and get up on his hinds legs and then fall and disappear. Then the emotional dump came. I just killed not only the biggest buck of my life but possibly the biggest deer I will kill in California.

We start making our way over and I see a white spot and can't believe it. We finally make it to him and I am at a loss for words. It wasn't real, It hadn't happened. But it was and I had did it.

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1923.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

Lucky and Unluckily when he fell he snapped off one of his points but we found all three pieces to put it back together.

We got him drug to the shade and got to work as it was going to be heck of a descend with heavy packs.

We got it done and got back to camp and to this day still can't believe it happened the way it did. I came out of the hunt not only with a trophy but with feeling more confident than ever in my glass ability and ability to look at landscape. Through all the obstacles this year we still made it happen. This buck ticked every box for me and I hope he got a couple years of breeding in.

I can't say enough about Rick and R and R guide service. I told him I didn't want this to be a hand holding mission and we were here to hunt, and hunt we did. long hours behind glass, ascends and descends. It was all worth it. I hope one day I am lucky enough to hit the golden ticket lottery and grab a random tag.

Sorry about the long read but I had to share the whole experience.

Great story and photos to go along with a great CA buck! You and your team’s hard work and perseverance paid off big time. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Horniac

Congrats on the scab-rock hunting...I see the terrain hasn't got any smoother since I left that country.. :cool:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom