My 2020 utah General unit bull.

JakeH

Long Time Member
Got a bull this week, I had to work opening weekend so my first day out was Monday, I was probably only going to get maybe 3 days to hunt so I was not being picky and planned on shooting the first bull I seen. After not seeing anything in the morning I decided to go to an area I archery hunt in for the evening, Figured I could pull my trail cameras while I was in there. While pulling the cameras and checking the photos I decided to throw out some cow calls as there was quite a bit of track in the area. At one point I looked up on the hill and this bull was standing there 240 yards away. My gun was still in the gun rack of my atv lol. Luckily he stuck around long enough for me to get settled in on him and 3 shots from my wheatherby 6.5x300 did the trick. This is my biggest Utah bull finally beating out my first elk ever that I shot when I was 14. It's crazy how these hunts can go from 0 to 60 in seconds lol.
IMG_20201006_001635_668.jpg
IMG_20201006_001635_667.jpg
IMG_20201006_001635_669.jpg
IMG_20201006_001635_691.jpg

Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together. LOL
some times lucky is better then being good.

It does matter, because if your hunting a private ranch it’s not the same hunt as if it were hunting public land

Does it matter? Why do people care?
Yes it matters, I have more respect for the public land hunter who takes an elk in an area where there is a lot of other hunters. The trophy is earned as opposed to given. I have no dis respect for the private land hunter but in no way is hunting private as difficult or as challenging as a public land hunt. I have hunted private and public ground and have had to earn my trophies on public land. That is the difference. I was only asking out of curiosity but now that I know, in my mind, I have a higher level of respect for Jake and his bull. Hard earned trophy right there.

Congrats on a great general season bull. Hoping it cools down and snows before the muzzy elk hunt, but not looking promising. Hope we can find a couple bulls. Thanks for sharing.

Yes it matters, I have more respect for the public land hunter who takes an elk in an area where there is a lot of other hunters. The trophy is earned as opposed to given. I have no dis respect for the private land hunter but in no way is hunting private as difficult or as challenging as a public land hunt. I have hunted private and public ground and have had to earn my trophies on public land. That is the difference. I was only asking out of curiosity but now that I know, in my mind, I have a higher level of respect for Jake and his bull. Hard earned trophy right there
No disrespect to Jake, but that trophy was not hard earned lol. Shot it from his ATV. How is that any different from a private land hunt?

Got a bull this week, I had to work opening weekend so my first day out was Monday, I was probably only going to get maybe 3 days to hunt so I was not being picky and planned on shooting the first bull I seen. After not seeing anything in the morning I decided to go to an area I archery hunt in for the evening, Figured I could pull my trail cameras while I was in there. While pulling the cameras and checking the photos I decided to throw out some cow calls as there was quite a bit of track in the area. At one point I looked up on the hill and this bull was standing there 240 yards away. My gun was still in the gun rack of my atv lol. Luckily he stuck around long enough for me to get settled in on him and 3 shots from my wheatherby 6.5x300 did the trick. This is my biggest Utah bull finally beating out my first elk ever that I shot when I was 14. It's crazy how these hunts can go from 0 to 60 in seconds lol. View attachment 14419View attachment 14420View attachment 14421View attachment 14422
Way to go! Lots of fine tablefare right there. I will take what luck sends me anytime. Congrats on a fine bull and love to see him all broke down & ready for transport ASAP! That is never easy. Way to go!

Elkchaser

Holy **** this is proof every thread on monstermuleys can be derailed. Let’s focus on the obvious...the earmuffs. WTF jake. You used to shooting 50 rounds at a elk?

Joking aside...seriously the muffs.....ok ok nice bull! And great job with the knife!

No disrespect to Jake, but that trophy was not hard earned lol. Shot it from his ATV. How is that any different from a private land hunt?
LMAO, I will take the easy win here and shoot this guy from my atv. Doesn't mean I haven't been busting my ass since mid august hunting this year. I've got a good 200+ miles on my hiking boots this year that could tell you that, which included a 4 mile hike that morning in the thick timber. Not to mention feeling like a gimpy old man for two days from processing this guy in the field by myself and packing him out. Not hard earned I guess.

Holy **** this is proof every thread on monstermuleys can be derailed. Let’s focus on the obvious...the earmuffs. WTF jake. You used to shooting 50 rounds at a elk?

Joking aside...seriously the muffs.....ok ok nice bull! And great job with the knife!
LOL, my other gun that I have been hunting with for several years will literally blow your ear drums out, I am pretty sure I have permanent hearing loss from that gun in my left ear from the few times I have forgotten to put the muffs on. Not sure I need them with this new gun but I'm a bit gun shy to go without them now and have gotten quite used to wearing them on my head while hunting.

As far as the private and public hunting argument goes I've done a fair share of both and have not found the private hunts I have been on to be any easier then most other hunts. Hell a good L.E. tag is a hell of a lot better than any private land I have ever hunted. But I do realize that isn't the same for every piece of Private land. Sometimes it is nice to have a piece of land all to yourself without having to worry about other hunters screwing it up. I wont doubt that.

Ha! I guess I wasn't the only person wondering why the earmuffs. Obviously he doesn't have a wife and kids or he would be trying to destroy his hearing :LOL:

It also made me think about the time that my wife shot her pronghorn with my 50bmg; She forgot to put her ear muffs on and couldn't hear for about a week.:oops: I did get some good video footage though.

I just think Jake is trying to start a trend. He wants to be cool and have his hearing at 50 years old. Jake the muff man!

Congrats on your bull and the quick wits to shift from "cam collecting mode" to "game on!"....
further proof that it really can happen that fast...

LMAO, how did you get my nickname from single days???? No Muff was to tough for the Muff man!
Back in the 80's there was a muffler shop on North Bluff street in St. George. They had a billboard up on a pole with their sign(the kind you change the letters). It said "No muff is too tough". I think it was on there for a couple years.

Well done Mr JakeH!
Pretty awesome for a general bull. That’s for sure!
Funny muff comments. I love it.
Zeke

Congrats on a great bull Jake! Don’t let the haters put a damper on it for you. You did what the VAST majority of hunters won’t do this year, and that’s kill a general season bull in Utah. Way to go! That’s awesome.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom