My 2021 Idaho Buck

BIGOLMULEY

I have not killed a deer in Idaho the past 2 years. I am hunting SE and the couple of bad winters plus drought really put a hurt on the deer. I mean I could have killed deer, but all young and very few.
Scouting showed some promise. Nothing big, but better numbers. Early September I was glassing and caught a good buck coming up out of a sage draw. Put the scope on him and thought, I may shoot that one in a month.
I ended up catching him on a camera 2 weeks later.
The opener was on a Sunday this year, so off to church I went. My good friend Jake offered to come with me, so we got up at 3 Monday morning and took off. Always need someone if I can. I can get them shot, but after it gets pretty tough being paralyzed.
We were on my glassing knob well before light. Jake saw a doe below us, then some more deer about 1000 yards out. As the light got better we we started picking up more and more deer. We would get the scope on one then see another. It was crazy! Some ok bucks, but not the one I was looking for. More does, more bucks and then all the sudden I see a coyote. Then another, and another. 6 in all! The deer around started getting nervous. Then some deer came bounding out of a little cut down and to the left of us with a few coyotes chasing. I hate coyotes. The deer were angling up towards us and we put the scope on them. A couple nice bucks and the one I had been looking for.
By now the coyotes gave up the chase, but had pushed the bucks (11 now) up at us. At 300 yards Jake says, “Don’t you think we should get your gun ready?” I thought maybe not as we barely got there and I had 2 weeks to hunt. But I came to my senses and realized I had my #1 buck right in front of me with a friend to help!
Jake grabbed my gun and helped me get it in the tripod clamp. I ranged them at 252. There were antlers everywhere. Took me a minute to figure out which one was him. I asked Jake if he was ready and he had eyes on him. Said yes, boom, down he went. Was quartering to a little and I put it high shoulder. Kicked twice and was done. Was so cool.
69EDE848-7E42-4EAC-BCA6-A417700AC857.jpeg

As he lay
81C91AF4-3CF4-463D-ABD9-356CFD7628FC.jpeg

The sky was so incredible Jake had to take cool pictures
52481158-7B3F-4E22-B5E2-FEA334555D3B.jpeg

Had some really good mass
4C050799-2F5A-446F-9C18-B591C9082AD6.jpeg
978E0711-7642-4706-B710-DE4B80963F23.jpeg

Way better buck than we thought. Old bugger. Must have made it through the winters. If his back end would have been better he would have been a stud. Well, he ain’t bad as is.
60C56C53-0F65-4EBF-9027-C9B7D0AC81B8.jpeg

Trail cam pic
I always am humbled that I still can hunt. Was pretty blessed by this one though. Not to often you have your target buck get pushed into your lap by coyotes from 1000 yards.
Always get out there no matter your situation. Grateful for good friends who help me. My friend Justin skinned him for me. I hate just watching. I did hold a leg here and there!
Tag #2 so far this year.
Kansas archery whitetail in a couple weeks then 4th season Colorado. Been a good one so far.

You are automatic Jason and I know you aren't done yet this year. Congrats on another beautiful buck - here is to hoping you have a couple more great bucks in the near future!!

Congratulations! Exceptional buck. You have to work for them and get a little lucky if you want to get one like that in Idaho.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom