My 2021 Muzzle Loader Deer Hunt

Pines_N_Tines

I had a fun 5 day hunt with my son and brother. We had 2 tags in camp (me and my brother). We were both hoping for something big so we passed on a lot of bucks. Opening morning greeted us with 2" of snow and thick fog. We could see no more than 50 yards through the first 8 or so hours of the hunt.
04F740CF-ADBB-4894-9634-985F2F3EBD66.JPG

Later in the day, the fog lifted and the snow began to melt off. I had nine opportunities for shots on smaller bucks but, nothing I wanted to put a tag on opening day.

Both leaf springs on my four wheeler trailer broke on the rocky drive in. It's un-nerving to know that you can get your equipment off the mountain. There was a constant nagging stress that kept me from enjoying day two of the hunt. My father was able to get some springs and parts and make the 4 hour drive to camp. I spent the day wrenching ang grinding off old bolts and got the trailer back in working order. Now I could refocus on hunting.. Thanks Dad!
012A5CD6-A780-4403-8026-4DC73706DB0B.JPG

That evening, we were able to make a push on a buck that me or my brother would have happily put a tag on but we busted him out of there before a shot opportunity presented itself.

Through the rest of the hunt I found myself getting a little frustrated. I just wasn't getting excited about seeing bucks and passing on them. It was fun to be there with my son, but I felt a constant pressure for another wall hanger. I kept wishing my younger (buck virgin) son were there with a tag instead of me. I passed many great first bucks. I think my hunt next year will be entirely focused on my youngest son getting his first buck if he can get a tag. Probably will just buy a preference point for me next year.

On the fourth day my son and I were deep in a canyon. I kept thinking I sure don't want to bring one out of here. I took a bit of a spill on the steep trail and smacked my head on a tree. As I got my senses back and collected myself my son stepped under the tree. I asked if I was bleeding and he said no. Then he turned his head and made the most awesome deer spot I've seen. There was a 4x5 bedded behind a log 100 yards down through a tunnel of trees and branches. He brought his bino's up and said dad there a decent buck bedded down here.

I was only a foot away from him but the only place to see the buck was exactly where my son was standing. It took us a good ten minutes to switch spots making sure the buck wouldn't bolt. Now in position I brought the muzzy up and could only see the neck and head as the buck was bedded behind a log.

Boom! This shot was different. Usually I cant see anything for a second until the smoke clears. Instead, I was able to see the bucks head go down and it was dead instantly. The body in this next pic was not posed. He didn't move an inch from where he was bedded.

IMG_7564.jpg

He's not the biggest. I would have likely passed on him earlier in the hunt. It's hard to see but there is an inward kicker on the left antler between the G2 and G3 making him a 4x5. My son has never been with me when I've shot a buck. That, and this being the best I'd had a shot opportunity on, and with the next morning being pack for home time made this buck right for me.
IMG_0043.jpg

It was late evening when we shot. My brother was in the area so we were able to get help for the pack out. It was going to be by headlamp and a long ways but some how the fatigue and pain are made easy when there's a buck on your back. I have to say that turning 50 this year didn't help with the fatigue part of it.
IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

This one will be a Euro rather than a wall mount. We got back to camp around 10 pm and had a great sleep than night. Then next day my brother saw the first giant buck of the trip. He wasn't able to make it happen but at least we now there's a 190 class buck in the area for my niece on the rifle.
The bucks were very skiddish, but there were very few hunters. I'm guessing it's because we heard a wolf howl and found foot prints, droppings and carnage. They have never been here in years of hunting but unfortunately there's at least one. I just hope it's a lone wolf that hasn't found a mating partner and that no pack gets established. Here's a print.
33E6D2A7-F3EE-41C6-A6A0-B5F1194ED595.JPG

I should have put something next to it. It's the size of a coke can. Happy hunting to each of you.

I had a fun 5 day hunt with my son and brother. We had 2 tags in camp (me and my brother). We were both hoping for something big so we passed on a lot of bucks. Opening morning greeted us with 2" of snow and thick fog. We could see no more than 50 yards through the first 8 or so hours of the hunt.
View attachment 54392
Later in the day, the fog lifted and the snow began to melt off. I had nine opportunities for shots on smaller bucks but, nothing I wanted to put a tag on opening day.

Both leaf springs on my four wheeler trailer broke on the rocky drive in. It's un-nerving to know that you can get your equipment off the mountain. There was a constant nagging stress that kept me from enjoying day two of the hunt. My father was able to get some springs and parts and make the 4 hour drive to camp. I spent the day wrenching ang grinding off old bolts and got the trailer back in working order. Now I could refocus on hunting.. Thanks Dad!
View attachment 54393
That evening, we were able to make a push on a buck that me or my brother would have happily put a tag on but we busted him out of there before a shot opportunity presented itself.

Through the rest of the hunt I found myself getting a little frustrated. I just wasn't getting excited about seeing bucks and passing on them. It was fun to be there with my son, but I felt a constant pressure for another wall hanger. I kept wishing my younger (buck virgin) son were there with a tag instead of me. I passed many great first bucks. I think my hunt next year will be entirely focused on my youngest son getting his first buck if he can get a tag. Probably will just buy a preference point for me next year.

On the fourth day my son and I were deep in a canyon. I kept thinking I sure don't want to bring one out of here. I took a bit of a spill on the steep trail and smacked my head on a tree. As I got my senses back and collected myself my son stepped under the tree. I asked if I was bleeding and he said no. Then he turned his head and made the most awesome deer spot I've seen. There was a 4x5 bedded behind a log 100 yards down through a tunnel of trees and branches. He brought his bino's up and said dad there a decent buck bedded down here.

I was only a foot away from him but the only place to see the buck was exactly where my son was standing. It took us a good ten minutes to switch spots making sure the buck wouldn't bolt. Now in position I brought the muzzy up and could only see the neck and head as the buck was bedded behind a log.

Boom! This shot was different. Usually I cant see anything for a second until the smoke clears. Instead, I was able to see the bucks head go down and it was dead instantly. The body in this next pic was not posed. He didn't move an inch from where he was bedded.

View attachment 54394

He's not the biggest. I would have likely passed on him earlier in the hunt. It's hard to see but there is an inward kicker on the left antler between the G2 and G3 making him a 4x5. My son has never been with me when I've shot a buck. That, and this being the best I'd had a shot opportunity on, and with the next morning being pack for home time made this buck right for me.
View attachment 54395
It was late evening when we shot. My brother was in the area so we were able to get help for the pack out. It was going to be by headlamp and a long ways but some how the fatigue and pain are made easy when there's a buck on your back. I have to say that turning 50 this year didn't help with the fatigue part of it.
View attachment 54396

View attachment 54397

This one will be a Euro rather than a wall mount. We got back to camp around 10 pm and had a great sleep than night. Then next day my brother saw the first giant buck of the trip. He wasn't able to make it happen but at least we now there's a 190 class buck in the area for my niece on the rifle.
The bucks were very skiddish, but there were very few hunters. I'm guessing it's because we heard a wolf howl and found foot prints, droppings and carnage. They have never been here in years of hunting but unfortunately there's at least one. I just hope it's a lone wolf that hasn't found a mating partner and that no pack gets established. Here's a print.
View attachment 54398
I should have put something next to it. It's the size of a coke can. Happy hunting to each of you.
Congrats on a nice buck and memories made with your family. Hopefully you guys can get on that 190 buck during rifle!

Great story and awesome buck! Makes me jealous that I didn’t do the muzzy hunt this year. Too much going on at work and decided to consolidate to an early season rifle tag during the elk hunt (starts next week)

Thanks for sharing! Always nice to know there’s other good bucks in there. Makes going back a looooong wait but something great to look forward to!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom