My 2022 Archery Buck

passthrough

For the first time in 2 years my target buck was slightly less nocturnal. He had a pattern where he would pass my camera on his way to our alfalfa field usually within the last 10 minutes of light. I built a blind just off of the trail he was using in hopes that I would get my shot at him. As big deer do, he disappeared for the first 6 days of the achery season. I figured that I would never see him again. On the night of September 6th, he showed, he passed by my camera just past shooting light. I was in the blind on the 7th, waiting as the mosquitos ate me alive LOL. Right as last light, I heard him jump the ditch coming my way, I drew my bow as he materialized just 20 yards away. I couldnt see my pins! Way too dark! He noticed something out of place and blew out. My dreams were crushed, I figured that was all it took for him to vanish. Once again on the 8th I was in my blind, this time from a better angle because I had a different wind. If he came, I'd be able to see him coming and would have time to draw. 7:14 I hear the fence, 7:31 I hear him walking through the ditch a mere 30 yards from me. I sat at the ready as I listened to him slurping water. After what seemed like an eternity I saw a fuzzy antler, it was him, I yanked my draw back and settled my pins behind his shoulder as he walked up on the burm 25 yards away. He almost immediately turned to look at me, but it was too late, the arrow was on the way! I heard the distinct thud of a solid hit as he spun and was gone. Darkness fell quickly as I waited a long 15 minutes to start tracking him. I found blood right away, then the arrow covered in dark blood, like really dark, I knew right away that it was liver. I marked the spot and backed out after tracking him another 50 yards. I would have a long sleepless night ahead of me. I showed up bright and early to start tracking him again, a short 70 yards later I had him! Piled up under a cottonwood tree, the most amazing sight on the planet!
IMG_2727.jpg

I didn't realize that he was quartered to me as much as he was when I shot him. This was the entrance wound.
IMG_2734.jpg

Its still so surreal that I was able to take this buck. He haunted my thoughts and dreams for the last couple of years. The quest was complete!
IMG_2774.jpg
IMG_2737.jpg

These are the only trail camera pictures of thousands that are in the light.
IMG_2609.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

My biggest buck to date and the most meaningful to me. Scored a whopping 216 7/8 inches! I can't wait to get him back from Paul and Vince at Imperial Taxidermy, I know he will look amazing.

Great buck congratulations!
I really like the character the kickers add. Nice job. Show us a finished mount when you get him back from the taxidermist

What a beautiful mule deer. Congratulation. If you don’t mind, what did he measure as a typical. Looks real close to 200” to me. Maybe a little more.

For the first time in 2 years my target buck was slightly less nocturnal. He had a pattern where he would pass my camera on his way to our alfalfa field usually within the last 10 minutes of light. I built a blind just off of the trail he was using in hopes that I would get my shot at him. As big deer do, he disappeared for the first 6 days of the achery season. I figured that I would never see him again. On the night of September 6th, he showed, he passed by my camera just past shooting light. I was in the blind on the 7th, waiting as the mosquitos ate me alive LOL. Right as last light, I heard him jump the ditch coming my way, I drew my bow as he materialized just 20 yards away. I couldnt see my pins! Way too dark! He noticed something out of place and blew out. My dreams were crushed, I figured that was all it took for him to vanish. Once again on the 8th I was in my blind, this time from a better angle because I had a different wind. If he came, I'd be able to see him coming and would have time to draw. 7:14 I hear the fence, 7:31 I hear him walking through the ditch a mere 30 yards from me. I sat at the ready as I listened to him slurping water. After what seemed like an eternity I saw a fuzzy antler, it was him, I yanked my draw back and settled my pins behind his shoulder as he walked up on the burm 25 yards away. He almost immediately turned to look at me, but it was too late, the arrow was on the way! I heard the distinct thud of a solid hit as he spun and was gone. Darkness fell quickly as I waited a long 15 minutes to start tracking him. I found blood right away, then the arrow covered in dark blood, like really dark, I knew right away that it was liver. I marked the spot and backed out after tracking him another 50 yards. I would have a long sleepless night ahead of me. I showed up bright and early to start tracking him again, a short 70 yards later I had him! Piled up under a cottonwood tree, the most amazing sight on the planet!
View attachment 86714
I didn't realize that he was quartered to me as much as he was when I shot him. This was the entrance wound.
View attachment 86715
Its still so surreal that I was able to take this buck. He haunted my thoughts and dreams for the last couple of years. The quest was complete!
View attachment 86716View attachment 86717
These are the only trail camera pictures of thousands that are in the light.
View attachment 86718
View attachment 86719
My biggest buck to date and the most meaningful to me. Scored a whopping 216 7/8 inches! I can't wait to get him back from Paul and Vince at Imperial Taxidermy, I know he will look amazing.
What an awesome and beautiful monster buck! Congrats!

Wow that’s what I’m talking about, so awesome that you followed him for a couple years and went all in after him. Congratulations.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom