My Boys 1st Harvest

mlycrzy

Very Active Member
My oldest son turned 12 this summer and was just as excited as his Dad to start applying for tags this year. I decide to put Jaden in for a desert ewe tag as I figured it would give him a chance to hunt sheep before he started putting in for a ram tag which will most likely take years to draw. He ended up drawing a unit that was offering ewe tags for the first time ever I believe.

Opening day was October 5th but we didn't plan on going up for a week or so because of other commitments. When the boss called and said work was cancelled due to weather we decided to make a mad dash for the hills to look for sheep. I planned on it being more of a learning the country and roads trip as it was expected to rain non stop all day. We made it to the unit just as the sun started coming up. We got the Ranger unloaded and headed out. We planned on heading straight to a well known spring in hopes of setting up for a few hours of glassing. I stopped about a mile before the spring to glass an area that looked like sheep county to me and threw up my binos. Within 30 seconds I spotted white butts and I got sheep fever right away :) I got out the spotter and confirmed they were ewes and lambs. We loaded up our packs and started up hill to the sheep that were approximately 800-900 yards away. About 1/4 way into the hike a shot on the other side of the canyon rang out and 5 sheep come up over the ridge just 200 yards above us.

We both sit down and frantically glass trying to find and confirm any legal ewes in the bunch. Sure enough the 1st sheep I lay eyes on is a beautiful adult ewe. I get the range at 190 yards but we had to wait as another sheep was standing directly behind her. We waited impatiently for what seemed like an hour but was probably only 5-6 minutse before the other sheep walked out of the way. The first shot missed but the second found its mark behind the left front shoulder and excited the right flank as she was angled a bit towards us. We were blown away by just how impressive and beautiful this ewe was as we had never been this close too nor laid hands on a sheep before. It was an experience we will both never forget and cannot wait to hunt them again someday.

592img1296.jpg

9405img1309.jpg

2296img1293.jpg

9023img1304.jpg

That is great! What unit did he draw? What a great hunt for a kid to go on...

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

>That is great! What unit did
>he draw? What a great
>hunt for a kid to
>go on...
>
>Steve
>
>Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good
>health for granted because it
>can be gone in a
>heartbeat. Please go back and
>read the last line. This
>time really understand what it
>says.

Thanks....unit 253 Bare Mountains

>Wow, Who can ever say their
>first big game animal was
>a sheep. Congrats to you
>and your son !

That's the same thing I told him. Not many kids or adults for that matter can claim to have killed any type of sheep. This was the 1st year this unit was opened to Ewe tags and I figured it would be a good opportunity for him to get some experience before the long wait of drawing a ram tag.

Congrats to you guys on a great hunt! Love to see smiling kids with their animals. He's hooked for like I'm sure.

congratulations jaden,it seems like yesterday you were keeping me bullets warm for my elk hunt.you got a wonderful start in big game hunting and a wonderful teacher in your dad and granddad.keep up the great work.hope you draw many tags in the future.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom