My Continental Divide Trail Adventure Thus Far

Yellowstone!

KIMG1516.JPG

Are you using any trail books ? Or recommend any?
I have been thinking of starting the PCT but may consider this instead.

Are you using any trail books ? Or recommend any?
I have been thinking of starting the PCT but may consider this instead.
I'm not using any trail books. I only selected the CDT because it runs near my home. I've since learned that it is generally considered the most difficult of the three triple-crown trails. It certainly is the longest. The PCT may be a better choice for your first thru-hike attempt. From what I've learned from those who have hiked it, it was initially graded for horses, so not nearly as steep. Also a lot more people hiking it if you like that instead of long periods of solitude. I personally initially thought I would like the solitude, but now I've learned that I enjoy it more when I have someone to hike with.

I think YouTube is as good of source as any to get a sense of what each of the trails would be like.

So......I want to hear about the dead head holder...
She is a very attractive lady from Georgia that teaches handicapped kids how to ride horses. She's also married to the other guy I've been hiking with off and on since day two. Two of the finest people I've ever met. Sorry...

41209.jpeg

I'm off trail for the next three weeks I got off at West Yellowstone and caught a flight back to NM. I went almost two months without seeing any of my family and it's been really good to see all of them again.

I'm down 48 lbs now.

Most of these are already famous pics, but some more of Yellowstone:

KIMG1592.JPG

KIMG1589.JPG

KIMG1586.JPG

KIMG1578.JPG

KIMG1556.JPG

KIMG1550.JPG

KIMG1540.JPG

I'm off trail for the next three weeks I got off at West Yellowstone and caught a flight back to NM. I went almost two months without seeing any of my family and it's been really good to see all of them again.

I'm down 48 lbs now.

Most of these are already famous pics, but some more of Yellowstone:

View attachment 83140

View attachment 83141

View attachment 83142

View attachment 83143

View attachment 83144

View attachment 83145

View attachment 83146
I want to see the pictures of you petting the buffalo. LOL

Here is a list of my gear. I think this list is complete, but if I think of anything else that I missed, I'll add it later.

For the entire trail:
Big Three
:
Zpacks Arc Haul 62 Liter Backpack, 22.1 oz
Zpacks Duplex Tent, 18.5 oz
Zpacks Full Zip 10 degree Sleeping Bag, 26.9 oz
Total weight of big three: 4 lbs 3.5 oz

Nemo Switchback Ultralight Sleeping Pad (use both as a sitting
pad and under air mattress to prevent punctures)
Sea to Summit Etherlight Air Mattress
Sea to Summit Aeros Premium Large Air Pillow
Custom made silk pillowcase
Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Sleeping Bag Liner

LEKI Micro Vario COR-TEC TA AntiShock Trekking Poles (in my
opinion, cork handles are a must)

Mobile phone with FarOut CDT App
Garmin InReach Explorer with Tracking/SOS subscription
Nitecore headlamp
SanDisk Clip Sport Plus loaded with 600+ songs and several
audio books
Clarmast 28,500 mA charger
Wall plug with two USB ports and two USB cables

20-gallon trash compactor bag (used as pack liner)

Sawyer Squeeze water filter
2 32-oz Sawyer Squeeze bags
Sawyer Squeeze double coupler fits filter and smart water
bottle
Custom made Sawyer Squeeze sock (to insulate it from freezing
at night)
50-ml syringe (to backflush Sawyer Squeeze)
2 replacement o-rings for Sawyer Squeeze
3 Smart Water bottles

Zpacks foodsack

Zpacks wallet

Waterproof wristwatch

The Deuce #2 shovel
Toilet paper
Culo Clean bidet
Baby wipes
Empty Gatorade bottle (saves me from having to get out of the
tent 3 or 4 times per night)

Altra Lone Peak 6.0 trailrunners (a half size larger than my foot to help with all the times I accidently kick rocks and roots)
Altra gaiters
Mosquito headnet
Outdoor Research Sun Runner cap
Outdoor Research Sun Hoodie
Outdoor Research ActiveIce Sun Gloves
Kuhl convertible hiking pants
2 pairs of Darn Tough ¼ midweight hiking socks
2 pairs of Injiji Liner Crew NuWool socks
Columbia fishing shirt (I keep this clean/nice to wear in town
and when I’m trying to hitch a ride)
2 pairs of moisture wicking under shorts
Enlightened Equipment Visp rain jacket
Zpacks rain pants
Enlightened Equipment Torrid Custom Jacket
Zpacks windbreaker
Smartwool Merino 250 thermal top
Smartwook Merino 250 thermal bottoms
Smartwool Merino 250 stocking cap
Smartwool liner gloves
Buff
Sunglasses

TOAKS Titanium 750ml Pot
TOAKS Titanium Long Handle Spoon
Talenti plastic ice cream container
Pocket Rocket Stove
7.75 oz blended fuel canister
Lighter
Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD Pocket Knife

Toothbrush
Travel size toothpaste
Dental floss
Travel size deodorant (for in town and when I’m trying to hitch
a ride)
Body Glide (anti-chaffing)
1 roll of Leukotape
Spare contact lenses and eyeglasses
Ibuprofen and aspirin
Band Aids
Sunscreen
Lip balm
Mosquito repellent

Only for southern NM:
Zpacks umbrella (not for the rain, but for the sun)

Only For San Juans in Colorado:
Neve Camp Ice Ax
Micro spikes

Only For Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana
Bear Spray
50’ of paracord

I've gotten a little ribbing from some of my fellow hikers for the clean town shirt and the deodorant. However, I feel like the clean town shirt increases my chances of getting hitches when I come off the trail and need a ride to the nearest town (usually more than ten miles). I'll usually stop at the last water source before the road and try to clean up as much as possible and then put on the deodorant and the clean shirt. If nothing else, it makes me feel a little less self-conscious when I'm in the car with whoever was kind enough to pick up a guy that looks a little bit like Mike Ehrmantraut... :)

Last edited:
Here is a list of my gear. I think this list is complete, but if I think of anything else that I missed, I'll add it later.

For the entire trail:
Big Three
:
Zpacks Arc Haul 62 Liter Backpack, 22.1 oz
Zpacks Duplex Tent, 18.5 oz
Zpacks Full Zip 10 degree Sleeping Bag, 26.9 oz
Total weight of big three: 4 lbs 3.5 oz

Nemo Switchback Ultralight Sleeping Pad (use both as a sitting
pad and to under air mattress to prevent punctures)
Sea to Summit Etherlight Air Mattress
Sea to Summit Aeros Premium Large Air Pillow
Custom made silk pillowcase
Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Sleeping Bag Liner

LEKI Micro Vario COR-TEC TA AntiShock Trekking Poles (in my
opinion, cork handles are a must)

Mobile phone with FarOut CDT App
Garmin InReach Explorer with Tracking/SOS subscription
Nitecore headlamp
SanDisk Clip Sport Plus loaded with 600+ songs and several
audio books
Clarmast 28,500 mA charger
Wall plug with two USB ports and two USB cables

20-gallon trash compactor bag (used as pack liner)

Sawyer Squeeze water filter
2 32-oz Sawyer Squeeze bags
Sawyer Squeeze double coupler fits filter and smart water
bottle
Custom made Sawyer Squeeze sock (to insulate it from freezing
at night)
50-ml syringe (to backflush Sawyer Squeeze)
2 replacement o-rings for Sawyer Squeeze
3 Smart Water bottles

Zpacks foodsack

Zpacks wallet

Waterproof wristwatch

The Deuce #2 shovel
Toilet paper
Culo Clean bidet
Baby wipes
Empty Gatorade bottle (saves me from having to get out of the
tent 3 or 4 times per night)

Altra Lone Peak 6.0 trailrunners (a half size larger than my foot to help with all the times I accidently kick rocks and roots)
Altra gaiters
Mosquito headnet
Outdoor Research Sun Runner cap
Outdoor Research Sun Hoodie
Outdoor Research ActiveIce Sun Gloves
Kuhl convertible hiking pants
2 pairs of Darn Tough ¼ midweight hiking socks
2 pairs of Injiji Liner Crew NuWool socks
Columbia fishing shirt (I keep this clean/nice to wear in town
and when I’m trying to hitch a ride)
2 pairs of moisture wicking under shorts
Enlightened Equipment Visp rain jacket
Zpacks rain pants
Enlightened Equipment Torrid Custom Jacket
Zpacks windbreaker
Smartwool Merino 250 thermal top
Smartwook Merino 250 thermal bottoms
Smartwool Merino 250 stocking cap
Buff
Sunglasses

TOAKS Titanium 750ml Pot
TOAKS Titanium Long Handle Spoon
Talenti plastic ice cream container
Pocket Rocket Stove
7.75 oz blended fuel canister
Lighter
Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD Pocket Knife

Toothbrush
Travel size toothpaste
Dental floss
Travel size deodorant (for in town and when I’m trying to hitch
a ride)
Body Glide (anti-chaffing)
1 roll of Leukotape
Spare contact lenses and eyeglasses
Ibuprofen and aspirin
Band Aids
Sunscreen
Lip balm
Mosquito repellent

Only for southern NM:
Zpacks umbrella (not for the rain, but for the sun)

Only For San Juans in Colorado:
Neve Camp Ice Ax
Micro spikes

Only For Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana
Bear Spray
50’ of paracord

I've gotten a little ribbing from some of my fellow hikers for the clean town shirt and the deodorant. However, I feel like the clean town shirt increases my chances of getting hitches when I come off the trail and need a ride to the nearest town (usually more than ten miles). I'll usually stop at the last water source before the road and try to clean up as much as possible and then put on the deodorant and the clean shirt. If nothing else, it makes me feel a little less self-conscious when I'm in the car with whoever was kind enough to pick up a guy that looks a little bit like Mike Ehrmantraut... :)
Excellent list. Tried and tested, for sure.

Typical weight of your pack?

Excellent list. Tried and tested, for sure.

Typical weight of your pack?
The only thing I know for sure is the weight of the Big 3, which in my case being less than five pounds is awesome. My Dragon Fly hunting pack weighs more than that empty. But otherwise, I've never tried to weigh it. My best guess is that it's probably about 25 lbs before food and water.

Coming out of towns, I can really feel the difference when loaded down with food for 4 or 5 days, and vice versa on days when I'm headed into town and my food is mostly eaten. I've also been eating a lot more food the further I get along the trail, so that weight is actually getting heavier as I progress. It seems like I'm constantly hungry now, and each snack makes the hunger pain go away for at most 30 minutes.

Southern NM was also pretty brutal on 20+ mile water carry days because I would load up with as much as two gallons of water (16 lbs) before starting in the morning. But that problem mostly went away after getting to northern NM where water has since been abundant, and I usually don't need to carry more than one or two liters to get me through to the next available water source.

The only thing I know for sure is the weight of the Big 3, which in my case being less than five pounds is awesome. My Dragon Fly hunting pack weighs more than that empty. But otherwise, I've never tried to weigh it. My best guess is that it's probably about 25 lbs before food and water.

Coming out of towns, I can really feel the difference when loaded down with food for 4 or 5 days, and vice versa on days when I'm headed into town and my food is mostly eaten. I've also been eating a lot more food the further I get along the trail, so that weight is actually getting heavier as I progress. It seems like I'm constantly hungry now, and each snack makes the hunger pain go away for at most 30 minutes.

Southern NM was also pretty brutal on 20+ mile water carry days because I would load up with as much as two gallons of water (16 lbs) before starting in the morning. But that problem mostly went away after getting to northern NM where water has since been abundant, and I usually don't need to carry more than one or two liters to get me through to the next available water source.
Interesting regarding hunger and food Mos. About 35 years ago when this muzzleloader mountain reenactment stuff craze got fired up, some group like the sierra club ( not sure it was them though) sponsored a contest, hiking endurance, weigh loss, survival etc. etc. to see which kind of gear and food would do best over an extended period in the wildness, and hiking. Four different kinds of groups with different kinds of equipment were invited to participate, to determine which “style” of wilderness hiking was most efficient. Each group was made up of four outdoorsy types of people. There was a group of all women, a group of men with various kinds of canned food, and traditional hiking gear but nothing in the freeze dried, water treatment equipment etc type stuff, another group that had ever conceivable kind of modern hiking camping device know to the world at the time, including the nylon tents, freeze dried foods, gas stoves, water petrifies etc. etc. and a third group I don’t recall what there gig was and the last group was four middle aged modern muzzleloader-trapper type of guys .

All I remember about it was it was supposed to go for about four or five weeks. After about two weeks they called it of, mostly over exhaustion, and loss of energy. The mountain men-trapper group was declared the winner. When asked what they attributed the win to the group claimed it was because almost all of there food had been an old fashion supply of pemmican made of buffalo fat, ground meet mixed with crushed wild berries and a good supply of venison jerky. High fat meat protein kept their hungry almost non- existent,

Funny though, here I am, without a clue……. making suggestion to you, who’s living it and I couldn’t walk a mile in your shoes.

Hope you have a great sheep hunt and fulfill another dream this summer. Be safe Mos.

LOL--no worries about making suggestions--I'm fairly new to this too. I think in the end the best advice I've went with is to just "listen to your body and it will tell you what you need or what needs attention." I have made a conscious effort to consume more protein and one of my mainstays is beef sticks. I average 3 or 4 a day. I do believe they make a notable difference.

If I get a home stop (like right now), I can take some of my own venison jerky (which is still my favorite of all jerky) with me. I don't add preservatives so I otherwise have to keep it in the freezer until I'm ready to eat it, but it will be good for a least a week or two once I get it on trail. I could probably have my wife mail me some as well the next time she mails me shoes.

Congratulations. We can tell from your smile that it was an epic hunt.

After the conditioning you’ve been through that sheep didn’t have a chance.

Stone…….? A most beautiful specimen!

Congratulations. We can tell from your smile that it was an epic hunt.

After the conditioning you’ve been through that sheep didn’t have a chance.

Stone…….? A most beautiful specimen!
Cardio was good, but strength was lacking a little. Should have done more training with an 80-pound pack... :)

Physically, this was the hardest hunt I've ever done.

Mozey you are definitely an inspiration to all!
I think we all dream about hiking the Divide, Stone Ram hunting and many other adventures you have gone on. so I hope you don’t mind me living vicariously through you and your adventures.

Beautiful

Beautiful stone, would you mind if I asked you who you went with? If this was your first trip with them? And if you know what there success rate is and pricing? I just went on my first dall sheep hunt.
PM me. Let's talk

Mozey you are definitely an inspiration to all!
I think we all dream about hiking the Divide, Stone Ram hunting and many other adventures you have gone on. so I hope you don’t mind me living vicariously through you and your adventures.
Thank you, Joe. Believe me, it is not lost on me how fortunate I have been and continue to be. Happy to share the adventures however I can.

Looking forward to getting back on the trail today. Not sure I can make it all the way to Canada before the snow flies if I start back where I left off, so I'm flying into Helena to join up with a guy from BC that I previously hiked with in Colorado. The plan is to get to the border, and then circle back and catch the part I'm skipping over. I think it will take me another six to seven weeks.

Good luck to all of you on your upcoming hunts! My next one is Unit 6 rifle deer in November.

Just completed the Bob Marshall Wilderness. The China Wall was one of my bucket list items and it truly is awesome. Unfortunately, my pictures don't convey how awesome it looks when you're starndng in front of it.

KIMG1720.JPG

KIMG1729.JPG

KIMG1726.JPG

Last edited:
Cool. So, there are no roads in or out of there, did you have to walk back out or did you catch a ride on the tour boat and go into the town of Waterton?

There is a 4-mile trail from there to Waterton Park. Based on my recent hunting trip, I already knew what to do, so I walked into Waterton Park and ordered a bison burger at one of their restaurants. After that, I caught a ride back to the Carway Port of Entry where my old college buddy was waiting for me. I'm back on the trail headed southbound now, hoping to fill in the gap and complete my continuous footpath from Mexico to Canada I have about 400 miles to go.

You’re a warrior moz.

Did, by any chance, the path you took north through Glazier National Park to the Canadian/US Border pass through the Elizebeth Lakes country? Back in another life time I used to spend time prowling around that country. Back in 1960’s that was the high lonesome, not so much anymore, they tell me. Beautiful country, for sure.

At the speed you travel, I believe your gonna get those four hundred. All the best moz.

I don't remember seeing any Elizabeth Lakes. The last lake I camped at on the US side was Kootenay, which was an amazing beautiful clear lake against a mountainous peak backdrop. Would love to go there again.

Kootney Lake sets one mountain further west and the more direct path to Waterton Lake, coming from the south.

That is wild country back in there with lots of elk, goats and bear, along with amazing mountain vistas. It’s been 57 years since my last trip into that country. Like I said, it at was at a different time and a different life back then.

Look forward to your next report moz, be safe.

Just completed the 125 miles between Augusta and Helena. Included some of toughest miles since Colorado with all of the steep ups and downs The weather also made it tougher as I got soaked to the bone the first day, spent a sleepless fourth night on a mountain top wondering if I'd either get blown off the mountain, drown in a flash flood, or get struck by lightning on what was easily the most violent storm I've experienced on this hike. Then yesterday I hiked the entire day in an icy fog, which when you're constantly going over mountain tops but otherwise can't see anything can get kind of depressing. First time on the trail I started seriously thinking I'm ready for this to be over.

On the other hand, I ran into several of our fellow hunters, and the kindness and generosity of each went a long way to lift my spirits. One gave me his food, another offered me a ride, and a third offered to let me stay in his cabin. Just shows that despite all the stupid stuff going on, there are still a bunch of really good and decent folks out there.

KIMG1966.JPG

KIMG1965.JPG

KIMG1957.JPG

KIMG1954.JPG

KIMG1955.JPG

KIMG1962.JPG

Last edited:
I'm going to take an extra day off in Helena to rest up, and also make certain I have the right route back to West Yellowstone.

I'm still very committed to completing my continuous footpath from Mexico to Canada, which is my last box to be checked.

I've got three options: the red line, which is still about 550 miles, the Anaconda alternate, which is about 450 miles, or the Big Sky alternate which is only about 225 miles.

Being that I'm very anxious to get back to NM, both to see my family and to start scouting for my unit 6 deer hunt, that makes my choice a very easy one:. Big Sky here I come... ?

Big Sky means I'll be threading my way through a bunch of private property, so I do need to make sure I've got the route, including water sources, really nailed down

I've got three options: the red line, which is still about 550 miles, the Anaconda alternate, which is about 450 miles, or the Big Sky alternate which is only about 225 miles.l
Being that I'm very anxious to get back to NM, both to see my family and to start scouting for my unit 6 deer hunt, that makes my choice a very easy one:. Big Sky here I come... ?

Big Sky means I'll be threading my way through a bunch of private property, so I do need to make sure I've got the route, including water sources, really nailed down
hey let me know if you need any help on this final leg like getting to the air port or a place to shower.
definitely gives a young man a healthy dose of patience to take your time and no need to rush anything.

Dang moz, that Montana country your going through is some of my favorite country in North America. It’s a shame that you’re having to go through it under such miserable weather conditions. Sure hope the Big Sky piece treats you better. Here’s to sunshine and clear sky, in the Big Sky.

I just found this story of your adventure. What an incredible journey and thank you for sharing it! I am probably retiring in the next year and hope to do some cool adventures...but I don't know that I could be gone from the boss lady that long! ;)
Also congrats on the sheep!

Like a horse to the barn after a long ride, I really picked up the pace the last few days. This nondescript location about seven miles east of Island Park ID is where I got off the trail on August 2 for my stone sheep hunt. At the time, I didn't think I would be finishing here, but right at noon yesterday, September 30, I made it back to this spot and completed my continuous footpath from Mexico to Canada.

KIMG1999.JPG

Due to the longer miles I was doing, my flat feet were getting pretty tired and sore, so I had to take more frequent breaks and pull my shoes and socks off to give them a chance to cool off. Just doing this for about 10 minutes went a long ways to rejuvenate them and they'd be good to go for a couple more hours.

KIMG1991.JPG

KIMG1979.JPG

Congratulations moz, you got it done. Thanks for the pictures and the reports. Great accomplishment. All the best in future endeavors.

So what was your average distance covered per day, and the most and the least?
Over the course of the entire hike, for non-town days, I probably averaged about 25 miles per day. My last week I pushed the average to 30 miles per day including back to back 33-mile days on the third and second to last day. The most I ever did in one day was 34. I knew of several hikers who did a lot more than that. I think my minimum non-town day was probably 18. Town days include both going into and coming out of a town, so they were almost always shorter days.

Now that I think about it, there were a couple days in Glacier National Park where the campsites I was able to reserve were only 15 miles apart, so those would be my minimum days.

It would be interesting to know how many times you fell, twisted an ankle or knee, got stung, got sick, puked, got a blister, got poked by a branch etc.

It would be interesting to know how many times you fell, twisted an ankle or knee, got stung, got sick, puked, got a blister, got poked by a branch etc.
Three falls immediately come to my mind.

The first one was in the Colorado San Juans where I was crossing a very steep snow/ice field. I made it 99 percent across when my last step before dirt rolled a rock that was under the snow. I went down and started sliding out of control. I jammed my trekking pole into the snow and permanently bent it, but what really stopped me was an overhanging pine branch that smacked me right in the mouth and gave me bloody lip, but I was otherwise able to grab and stop my slide.

The second was crossing over a log and my gaitor caught a piece of broken branch sticking out and I did an immediate face-plant. Stunned me a little, but otherwise not hurt.

The third I was crossing a stream and stepped on a rock that rolled under my foot. I immediately did a faceplant into the water and hit my forehead on a rock that was about three inches below the water surface. Made the lights explode in my head and gave me good knot on my forehead, not to mention getting soaked from head to foot. I was a little shook up but walked it off.

I've also slipped on my butt several times going down steep slidey terrain when the the lugs on the heels of my shoes had been worn flat. That's how I knew it was time to replace my shoes.

Never had ankle or knee issues

Never got stung, but lots of mosquito and ant bites.

Never got sick or puked.

Lots of blisters in the first 500 miles and then none for the next 2,000 miles, and then one last one in my last week when I started hiking more miles per day.

Don't remember being poked by a branch.

Last edited:
Like a horse to the barn after a long ride, I really picked up the pace the last few days. This nondescript location about seven miles east of Island Park ID is where I got off the trail on August 2 for my stone sheep hunt. At the time, I didn't think I would be finishing here, but right at noon yesterday, September 30, I made it back to this spot and completed my continuous footpath from Mexico to Canada.

View attachment 88576
September 29--seem to have lost track of my days... :)

Last edited:
Three falls immediately come to my mind.

The first one was in the Colorado San Juans where I was crossing a very steep snow/ice field. I made it 99 percent across when my last step before dirt rolled a rock that was under the snow. I went down and started sliding out of control. I jammed my trekking pole into the snow and permanently bent it, but what really stopped me was an overhanging pine branch that smacked me right in the mouth and gave me bloody lip, but I was otherwise able to grab and stop my slide.

The second was crossing over a log and my gaitor caught a piece of broken branch sticking out and I did an immediate face-plant. Stunned me a little, but otherwise not hurt.

The third I was crossing a stream and stepped on a rock that rolled under my foot. I immediately did a faceplant into the water and hit my forehead on a rock that was about three inches below the water surface. Made the lights explode in my head and gave me good knot on my forehead, not to mention getting soaked from head to foot. I was a little shook up but walked it off.

I've also slipped on my butt several times going down steep slidey terrain when the the lugs on the heels of my shoes had been worn flat. That's how I knew it was time to replace my shoes.

Never had ankle or knee issues

Never got stung, but lots of mosquito and ant bites.

Never got sick or puked.

Lots of blisters in the first 500 miles and then none for the next 2,000 miles, and then one last one in my last week when I started hiking more miles per day.

Don't remember being poked by a branch.
For what you put yourself through, you did very well. That’s a lot of rocks, logs, holes, creeks, slides, mud, brush, stumps, horse flys, willows, cactus, hail, rain, snow, lightning, wind, to walk, wade, jump, craw, climb over for 3000 plus miles and come away as well as you did. Carry on mos, you got it figured it out!

How many pairs of boots and what kind??
I went through six pairs but it took me three tries in the first 500 miles to get it right. I finally settled on the Altra Lone Peak 6.0s, Wide Width, size 11s. I generally wear 10.5s in regular width, but learned for this kind of extreme hiking there were certain additional protections inherent in a slightly larger shoe. The shoe also has what is called zero drop, which I found to be helpful for my flat feet.

Congratulations mosey! It takes commitment and dedication to do what you did. Now, when the power goes out at your house you probably just smile.

Two of my nephews attempted the Pacific trail about 4 years ago. One of them made it and the other went about half way and he got a job offer in Hawaii, so he grabbed that. I trained with them for about 5 miles before they left so I get some credit. (y) Neither one had ever carried a pack before then.

Congratulations mosey! It takes commitment and dedication to do what you did. Now, when the power goes out at your house you probably just smile.

Two of my nephews attempted the Pacific trail about 4 years ago. One of them made it and the other went about half way and he got a job offer in Hawaii, so he grabbed that. I trained with them for about 5 miles before they left so I get some credit. (y) Neither one had ever carried a pack before then.
wow...I had no idea the PCT went through Hawaii....

Ah man...it's over, like watching the ending of your favorite show!

@mozey another series on-deck?!
Nothing planned yet, but not ruling anything out either. I have a New Zealand hunt scheduled in May, and I heard a lot of good things about the New Zealand trail that runs from the top of the north island to the bottom of the south island. I may just decide to go a month and a half early and see if I can knock out that trail before my hunt starts.

I did officially retire, but while on trail I got a few calls about some potential consulting gigs. Seeing how expensive my pursuit of the Grand Slam is getting, I may have to consider doing a couple of those. The only things I've ever done since retiring is hike this trail and go on a stone sheep hunt, so I'm still not sure what I'm going to be doing with myself yet. Looking forward to figuring it out though... :)

Thanks mos. I’ve never got into the Wind River country but I’ve been told by others too, that they are beautiful country. Probably going to miss out seeing that country.

Hope you get to make that New Zealand trip.

Just found this thread, I binged it. Wish I woulda found it sooner to follow step by step.

Congratulations on the retirement. What an incredible year for you Moz, truly inspiring stuff, and an inspiring individual. A hardened man with new perspective I'm sure. Hat's off to you!! Thank you for taking the time to write and post .

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom