My daughter's amazing year! (pics)

dwalton

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Oct-27-14 AT 11:37AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-27-14 AT 11:34?AM (MST)

Like any story, it begins when the results of the draws are posted. My daughter was lucky enough to get a bison, elk and antelope in Wyoming for 2014.

The bison hunt was first, with her drawing the Aug 15th season. Can't say enough about Tag-n-Drag. They told me where the bison had been hanging out prior to the season, and where the best place to take her would be. Luck was on our side, as the hunt lasted all of a half an hour. We walked into a herd of 350, and she made some great shots to put her bison down. Those bison are very wary and spooky animals!

5638img_1330.jpg

2297img_1337.jpg

The use of a retrieval service is worth is weight on gold with an animal this large (especially with warm weather)!! Once again, Tag-n-Drag was outstanding! With their help we had the bison in the meat locker, and we were having lunch in Jackson by 11:00am.

2636img_1344.jpg

The next hunt was her elk. We made it out for a mornign hunt two days after the opener. I spotted what looked to be a 6pt bedded in the deep sage. She and I made a stalk, and closed the distance to 15 yards. The bull was missing his G2's and had a broken tine, making him a 5x4. We decided to pass, but was she ever excited about the close encounter with the bull!

3556img_1625.jpg

A week later we hustled to leave after school to try to make the area before dark. At 6:00pm, we spotted a herd with a spike, a couple of raghorns, and the herd bull with about 30 cows & calves in the bottom of a deep draw. We made it off the ridge and parked the truck. The elk spooked, but instead of running down the canyon, they decided to cross a few hundred yards in front of us. We hustled down the canyon, and got her set up just as they were nearing the top. I heard the shot hit, and the bull flinched. Before she could follow up the elk made it to the top and were gone. We ran to the truck and got back on top of the ridge. I couldn't believe my eyes when we saw where the bull had dropped. What a great place to pack and elk out of! Lucky, lucky again!

5588img_1594.jpg

1043img_1598.jpg

7728img_1601.jpg

Yesterday we finally made it out for her antelope. We spotted a group, made a great stalk, and she made another great shot to end her season.

223img_1618.jpg

How do you explain to a 15 yr old that hunting for a total of 7 hours for three big game animals isn't the norm? I'm truly blessed to have kids that love to go out and hunt with their old man! Thanks to the Wyo G&F for all the hunting opportunities they provide in the Great State of Wyoming!

That is awesome - congrats to her & dad:) And I agree Wyoming truly is a great place to be, I just returned from my 7th trip there and already wish I was back there. Great hunting & super nice people!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-27-14 AT 01:36PM (MST)[p]In a word; AWESOME

Congrats to your daughter. Those are some great trophies and even better memories. This year will never be forgotten by your family. You guys did very well this year!!!!

I've always loved hunting with my daughters.

Well done dwalton!

Zeke

That is a cool shot of you and her in the sage.
Congrats on 3 super good hunts.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

WAY TO GO DAVE.........THAT FEAT WILL NEVER BE TOPPED !!!! YOU SPOILED HER FOR LIFE..........CONGRATS................YD.

Looks good....congrads to you and your daughter

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom