My first elk/bowkill! (Pictures)

C

cohntr6

faed42f9.jpg

Here is my first ever elk and first big game animal with a bow. He just misses the book (lol!)by 5/8" but I am stoked! I killed him on September 27th, 1 day before the archery season here in Colorado closed. The night before I missed a small 5x5 that I called in so I was a bit bummed. The next afternoon I went back and decided to hunt where I called the other bull in from the evening before. I was by myself so I called like crazy since it worked the night before. I would cow call with a couple mouth calls, then cow call and bugle using my diaphram. I got to a bench and looked up on the hill above the bench to see a nice 6 point turn his head, I froze mid-stride and waited. Another bull (the one I would shoot) came out and looked at me for a few minutes then turned so I took a few more steps out of sight of the 2 bulls and started calling aggressively as before. They looked around a started to slowly come in. The 6 point bull barked at me so I barked at him, then bugled and cow called. They continued down the him to the bench I was on and the smaller bull gave me a shot at 30 yards through the brush and trees. I took it thinking I could sneek the arrow through a hole, I didnt, the arrow went off into la la land and the bulls ran up the hill a little bit till I called and they stopped and turned around. So I decided to slip out and circle above them all the while calling like crazy. When I got to the next bench the bigger bull stepped out (he was about 60 yards) and looked at me then walked off. The smaller bull started to come out and then toward me. He then slipped back into the timber and started to circle below me, so I moved forward and started calling again. He came straight in towards me then turned broadside at 10 yards. fortunatly, his whole front half of his body was blocked by trees so I drew and put my top pin on what I thought was right behind his shoulder, then let er rip! I heard the hit and he ran off. I walked over to where I hit him and couldnt find any blood or the arrow so I went to where I saw him last and found a little blood, followed it for 5 yards and the bloodtrail stopped. I looked down the hill and there he was. He tried to get up but couldnt so I put another one in him. Despite the picture I hit him a bit far back (liver) and am suprised how fast he died and how short a distance he went (at most 40 yards). I am so pumped to have harvested a elk with my bow. Thanks for all the replies on my other post.
Jeff

Congratulations again on getting your first elk with a bow none the less.
Still remember my first like it was yesterday. 12 years old but I cheated and used an 06'.
Best of luck on future hunts,
Jerry

Heck yeah , hes a good bull , congrats on a super hunt . Thanks for the story , I love to read em like this , it puts me right there in the mountain with ya , again congrats on your first bow kill...NMhuntnutt

Thanks!
Gary, How did you and your party end up? We still ought to meet up sometime, although I am not at 7-11 anymore, went back to work for CDOW for the time being.
Jeff

We both killled our deer (little guys) my first deer with a bow though. Elk we had plenty of close calls and many stories but didn't score was the bottom line. They were really bugling the last few days and we shold have done things a little different probably but hinsight is always better. Gary

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom