My First Speed Goat

H

huntsonora

LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-03 AT 06:59PM (MST)[p]Well, here is my "birthday present buck". I only had a few hours to hunt but I am extremely happy! Guess what this one grosses.

Drummond

fada8416.jpg

I know nothing about goats but it looks like a nice one. Maybe 78 or 79... Congrats!

Bret M.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-03 AT 08:29PM (MST)[p]
how about 82?...Awesome goat. Congrats. Maybe now we can talk you into a mule deer tag eh? Thanks for sharing the picture.

Congrats; beautiful speedgoat. Picture is really decieving, but looking at his face and ears to get perspective, he has pretty nice length and prongs. Unless he's perfectly round, I'd say he's a little on the light side, but would still go 80.5"-81.5".

Drumm:

Nice length and good paddles. He'll make a beautiful mount. He looks to score around 80??????? Either way a nice goat. Oh yeah.......Happy Birthday!

BOHNTR )))-------------->

Way to go Drum! I couldn't tell what a big one versus a small one might look like. But they sure are the coolest looking creatures. Congrats on your success!

Good job man!!!!! Nice lope! I'm envious! I was supposed to go on a speed goat hunt in Wyoming this year but had to cancel. Maybe next year.
Eric
fart.gif

Bird-01.gif

nice goat wish i could have hunted one this year but wyo G&F wont let me they never draw my name i put in for three areas and never drew any of them oh well theres allways next year there are more goats within 100 miles of here than people in the whole state but i cant seem to draw

Good goat, specially for the 1st one. I posted a gross score on the other topic so won't change now. Great length and prongs. 84 6/8.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Great birthday present! Have no idea what it will score, but it doesn't really matter because it is a great antelope!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Impossible to give an confident estimate from one angle but I'm going to say 79, based on 15.5" length, 18.5" of mass, and 5.5" prongs. Beautiful buck. Congrats!

Nice buck Drum...glad you finally got out for yourself once. Great job.

Scott G.

Awesome looking speed goat Drummond!
Bet you and your family are still smiling from ear to ear.
Thanks for sharing.
Best,
Jerry

Congrats man.
New ya could do it ;)
Hey man, could ya send me a private message, My dad wants to know some info on possibly making arrangements for an Elk hunt down there if ya guys do em.

-Cass

Well, I did not find out until Fri. night that I actually had the permit. I arrived at the ranch at 2am and slept in the back of my truck. I awoke to the sun pinking in the east, the smell of the west Texas desert and a hot cup of coffee from my thermos. It really was one of the most beautiful mornings I can remember. I was hunting with one of my best friends, Kevin Reed, who lives in El Paso Texas and he arrived shortly after shooting light and we headed out to glass some flats. The first place we stopped we found this buck running a bunch of does. I believe there were 4 bucks and 20 or so does in the group. I could see the prongs and the classic heartshape and decided he would do for a first goat especially considering I only had a half day to hunt. Well, truth be known I missed my first shot at 335 yards and again missed high at 225 yards. I had shot a coyote with my gun 3 weeks ago but had no time to shoot at the ranch that morning for fear of spooking the antelope. Somehow my gun had been knocked off zero in the previous weeks. I grabbed my friends gun and we again headed out. We got on the antelope heading out across a ravine to another flat and I was able to take him at just shy of 200 yards. When we got to the antelope it was obvious that we had misjudged him. He was taller than expected, we had originally guesses him to be 14" but he is actually 15 3/8". His prongs really make him look shorter than he really is. He is also fairly heavy, his first 2 mass measurements are over 6". and his right prong is over 7". His total gross is 81 6/8" and his right horn is almost 2" larger than his left. If he were to match he would have grossed a 83 5/8". The pisser to the story is that 45 min after taking this goat we found one better! He looked just like my antelope with a better left horn, a definate "book" buck. Maybe next year. Anyway, thats the specifics. It was a BLAST and thanks guys for all of the positive responses, I hope I can translate my success with this antelope into a HUGE mule deer this year.
I do have one question, how should I have him mounted, I am thinking about a wall pedastal, right shoulder on the wall with a slight left turn to show off his right horn.

Drummond

Thats exactly what I would have suggested for a mount. I have been after a Cow elk for the last week. Finally got into them yesterday only to miss a cow at 200 yards. She didnt even move or spook. Needless to say I went out and shot my gun after and found out it was way off. I guess it got bumped or something.
Great story and congrats on a great goat!

neat story, it is fun hunting them is'nt it ? glad you took one- very nice one to say the least. congrats. remember to see where you want him on your wall- and make sure you have enough room before you have him done that way, maybe measure one or two at your local taxidermists- watch the back of chairs, couches, tables, etc. height is very important in some houses- great job.
MICHAEL S. WAITE, TUCSON-MARANA, AZ.

Well ain't that the best news? Congratulations on a HUGE lope!!!! You might have used up a few years of good lope huntin luck with that beauty!

Any shoulder mount of that lope will be a good un, I'd imagine. Nice horns for sure. Congrats again, nice job and well deserved with a lesson learned for your next hunt (test fire your shooter upon arrival). Happy B-Day again.....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom