My Idaho Report

tailchaser

Well, a couple of us went to Idaho last week looking for a blind/deaf buck but unfortunately all we found was a lot of vacant country. I do have relatives in Idaho that hooked me up with the family "secret spot" only to get there and find out it was also the secret honey hole for about 50 other family's also.

I won't give out specific regions, but we started in Unit 39. All I can say is it was absolutely loaded with people. We burned the lungs trying to get as high as we could, in some instances getting up over 9,200' in elevation but the deer just were not moving. Temps were in the 70's so we decided to head east towards 36A/B and that region in hopes of finding something moving close to the Frank Church border. We ran into a couple of guys in town who were able to find some shooters, but the deer population in that area is nothing short of dismal. We put on over 60 boot miles, glassed until our eyes popped out and got to where we were seeing more mountain goats than anything. Total for 6 days was 12 deer. Only two bucks, one forkie in the headlights and one spike in town.

Everyone we talked to said the same thing, wait for snow it will change. The evening before we left it snowed 4" in the region we hunted so we gave it one last hurah. 100 miles on the rig and another 10 on the boots provided us with 4 sets of doe tracks. It was time to go home. My buddy gave me a good laugh when he mentioned we should sue idaho for false advertisement there is game in this state!! :).

Regardless, we had a fun trip. Met some cool locals and a few disgruntled ones as well. I will never forget walking out of the wilderness at dark near a local unmarked hot spring to see a vehicle pull in. Laughing we said maybe it's a rig full of college girls. Walking up to our truck was a person in a skirt bent over their flat tire. Only to stand up and it was a guy in knee high stocking boots with a black skirt on. I half heartedly asked if "he" needed help. He said no, but thanks. Which I was good with :). As we left I mentioned this is always how rapes and murders start on TV.....

We ate tag soup, had a good time but I'll echo the sentiment of the locals. The deer population is definitely down. A few people I know punched tags but the story was the same, usually it was the only buck they saw. Loved the country, I hope to come back sometime with an elk tag instead.

td

In the past 3 seasons I've spent no less than 40 days afield...this year it was well over 60. All of which has been spread out across different units, mostly in southern Idaho. I've seen hundreds of great bull elk (taken 3 - all over 360") some great Shiras moose (shot a 170"+ bull in 2018) some nice Antelope here and there (never pursued em) but not one single time I have even "seen" a 180" plus muley...not once! In fact I've only seen 1 buck that would crack 170"...and I rarely have seen much for mule deer at all.

My Idaho experience has been limited to only the past few years...but I've been to a lot of different places (during the fall) and spent a lot of time in the woods. The deer numbers / quality is pathetically poor IMO...and really a sad state of affairs for Idaho in general. Obviously I've not been everywhere / seen everything...but what I have seen has been very unimpressive to say the least!

Tail Chaser, glad you still had a good time. If you look throughout this site in most every state with mule deer you'll hear everyone complaining that populations are very low. Elk seem to be doing well but mule deer numbers are terrible almost everywhere. Don't feel like the lone ranger and keep having fun. Hopefully they will come back someday.

Its my home unit so that is where I spend most of my time. According to Game and Fish we have 21 confirmed wolf packs in unit 1. There are elk here just very thick big country to hunt. When we get enough snow the elk move down and we can watch them in our back pasture.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom