My old hunting grounds

eelgrass

Long Time Member
Blake Mountain was a combination of National Forest and timber company land. The public could hunt it all. Some years ago the timber company divided their land into 30-40 acre parcels and sold it. I thought about buying one for a summer/hunting cabin. Glad I didn't now. I've killed many bucks on Blake Mountain over the years but I quit about 10 years ago because I know what goes on there. About time they got busted.

OVER 12,372 POUNDS OF DRIED CANNABIS AND OVER 3,558 POUNDS OF MANICURED CANNABIS BUD SEIZED BY MET THIS WEEK

From August 10-12, 2020, deputies with the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office Marijuana Enforcement Team (MET) served 10 search warrants to investigate illegal cannabis cultivation in the Blake Mountain area of Eastern Humboldt County.

That’s a lot of weed. We get the smoke from your forest fires hear ? so let me know when they spark it up so I can go sit outside.

I here you Bluehair.

It just pisses me off to see the places of my youth disappear to criminal activity. They always confiscate guns at these grows. What's the point of having guns if they're just going to lay down? These growers need to step up their game.

It is standard practice by the narcotics teams to wait until it is harvest time or near harvest time to hit the grow sites. Too late for the growers to put in another crop and they loose all those funds spent to grow the weed.
When I was in narcotics, back when marijuana was a felony, we hit a 2000 plant field that had 5 armed guards who had been hired to protect the grow site from anyone attempting to rip it off.
The 5 guards fled out the back of the house and ran right into our backdoor intercept team, that had sneaked into the grow site under cover of darkness, and gave up without firing a shot.
One of the guards was a competition pistol shooter and another one was the son of a FBI agent from Southern CA. They all went to prison.
The best part all five guards gave up the grow site owner due to him leaving the night before the raid to go back to the bay area. The guards felt he had been tipped off on the raid and left them holding the bag. He got a longer sentence then the guards.
RELH

Last edited:
So who is running these grows? Is it the Bulgarian Mafia, Mexican cartels or local entrepreneurs?

They busted a big one here, and another up by Grand Junction. It was Chinese organized crime. No chit. Product was apparently intended for the LA market.

Don't know who runs the emerald triangle. I always thought it was the democrats. :LOL:

My son just recently finished working as the field supervisor for the joint narcotics task force, 5 different agencies, and he told me that most of the ones they get are Mexican cartel with illegal immigrants or Jamaican immigrant growers.
Bluehair I doubt it was for the L.A. market as the illegal growers here in CA. export it to states where it is still illegal and has a higher price.
RELH

So who is running these grows? Is it the Bulgarian Mafia, Mexican cartels or local entrepreneurs?
All three. Illegals from Mexico do most of the labor for all 3.

The only place I feel safe hunting now is above 4000' elevation where there is little water to support a big grow. Sad to see.

There was a couple thousand pounds in the back of a ryder truck headed west outa grand jct. Only other place it could go was Utah. Or Vegas.

I don't remember the details, but I seem to remember it being a chineese mafia thing from LA. I would bet Pelosi's life on it. Lol

Bluehair, it could have been Chinese mafia from L.A. that was growing it. They would get more money selling it in states where it is illegal then they would get in CA. These growers flock to areas that seem to tolerate the growing and they hear about those areas from the druggie grapevine.
RELH

There is an two-mile section of stream along highway 299E that no longer holds fish thanks to illegal grows in that area. My neighbor reports several dead deer on his property--poisoned. Put these growers out of business. If we can't keep then in jail, then at least deprive them of their livelihood. Go Blue.

Yes they will kill the deer to prevent them from browsing on the young marijuana plants and dump their fertilizer and herbicides into the streams.
Most fields that I helped in taking down came from tips from hunters and miners in the area that the growers made a habit of threatening if they got near the grow site. Our team made a point of never putting their name in a report and used their information to make a aerial fly over to spot the field and used that for the search warrant. Most agencies will keep your name secrete if you ask for it to prevent reprisals from the growers.
RELH

RELH,

DId you ever hear of a USN SAR flight taking fire from growers ....maybe early to mid-70s? The location would have been pretty close to the southern boundary of Yosemite.

I can not recall that incident near Yosemite, but do recall hearing of several incidents involving shots fired at airplanes & helicopters.
I used to go up with a local pilot and when we got near the area where the field might be, he would throttle back on the engine and we would more or less glide over the area in a silent mode to prevent alerting the growers.
RELH

Here locally, the news, both TV and internet , have public service announcements stating "PG&E will be flying low level reconnaissance missions to check the power lines. Please don't shoot them down. They couldn't care less about your grow. Thank you."

Eel we have had cases where the PG&E trouble shooter would be accused of being a undercover narc when he went to certain places to make repairs to lines or meters. On some occasions we had to provide security for the PG&E employee. Them saying they do not care is true, I never have had a PG&E employee report a marijuana field. They will report possible drug labs if the meth cook is stealing their electric power and indoor grows if they steal PG&E electric power.

RELH

What a mess Pot is causing. I would turn them in if it was my area. They are scumbag growers.

On the surface it seems cool, but the reality is it sucks. There was reported just today two different murder cases at grow sites. Both under investigation. Missing people reported all the time too.

You forgot to mention the miles of plastic pipe they leave, and the bags of fertilizer they just dump into dammed up creeks and of coarse the trash.

I do believe it causes people to try harder drugs. No one can understand how horrible addiction is unless it is in their family. If pot is legal maybe it's not so bad. Why can't people just enjoy life being sober ?

DeerMadness you are right about marijuana being a gateway drug to hard drugs. I conducted many interviews of hard drug users while in narcotics and everyone of them admitted they started with marijuana then went to the hard drugs for a bigger high.
My very first coroner's case in 1974 was a 14 year old boy that started smoking marijuana with his friends. Looking for a bigger high he sneaked into his older brother's meth stash and died by passing out on his back and drowned in his own vomit. He came from a good middle class family that his death tore the family apart.
To this day I sometimes think it would be best to send all drug dealers to death that sell hard drugs.
RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom